Next QAC Meet 23rd June Greenslopes

Bill, I've forwarded the original email to your email address. Cheers, Jeff

Much appreciated.

Like I said I hope to bring my NAD and Off-Ramp. Rob181 came on over yesterday and was shocked at the NAD C390DD and the difference the Off-Ramp made. When fed with the Off-Ramp this thing is scary close to much more expensive stuff and leaves everyone that has heard it shaking their head.

Thanks

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

What did I miss fellas ?

I have just advised Phil that I intend to make it to the next one in Ashgrove.

My last SNA attendance was at Kevin's (tri-k) place in Buderim.

Regards,

Russ.

It was a well attended affair and at a guess I would say that about 30 people came

Lots of bling tube amps and experimental speakers

Nice Nakamichi self centering turntable and a gorgeous reel to reel system

You missed a great day

What did I miss fellas ?

I have just advised Phil that I intend to make it to the next one in Ashgrove.

My last SNA attendance was at Kevin's (tri-k) place in Buderim.

Regards,

Russ.

Very Nice Russ! Had a great arvo. Plenty of Supratek valve amp 'Bling'. A Nakamichi self centering turntable, that for me was the 'Coolest' thing I've ever seen, most impressive. And a fully rebuilt Reel to Reel that just oozed quality, both in build and sound. A vinyl collection to die for, beautifully displayed in a dedicated room that was very cozy and classy. It would be easy to spend many an hour listening away in there.

The open Baffle speakers are what perked my intrest though, and if you saw the email,you'll know what I mean. Very different in the design thinking process, designed for a more 'constant Directivity' sound field, and I could hear what this design was all about. Still very much a prototype, and at the early stages of development, these speakers will only get better as the tweaking phase begins. Loved the dipole bass, it's what I need to strive for in my own system, clearly better than mine. Very low very articulate and detailed. I do think there was a 'Hole' in the lower midrange, and vocals sounded a little thin and distant at times. I also own the same RAAL tweets, and I prefer them crossed a little higher, but that's just a personal choice. With some crossover tweaks to flesh out some more lower midrange, these speakers will sound very good indeed. Also at times there I thought that the sound stage was actually punching back through the wall, especially with the ochestral tapes on the Reel to Reel, incredible depth.

Always love what the DIYers in the audio club are fiddling with and experimenting with what they are doing, and always good to see systems as they start out and hopefully you'll get to hear them as they develop, thanks Matthew for a great arvo, with some very cool gear.

Hi Guys

I can't really add too much to what Mick said. An excellent super high end system with the turntable - trouble is I am not a turntable fan - I could hear the record hiss but no clicks and pops - thankfully - which for me was a plus. But with that tape player and direct copies from the master recordings he had - my my - something very very special and easily one of the best systems I have ever heard - end of story. The other day, without going into the details, I heard the best system I have ever heard - and some others who heard that system said the same thing - but this was up there with it - it was that good. A real experience.

I took my new toy the AGMs over but couldn't try them because they are OB speakers - and the next meeting is with OB speakers as well. Still people got to look at them and see what the go is. Once seen everyone understood how they worked - its simply a matter of seeing what they do to the sound.

I also want express my deep thanks to Matthew and his lovely wife for having us over. He was very generous in not only letting us hear his, and this is no exaggeration, extraordinary system, but in opening some very special wines from his equally special and extraordinary cellar.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba