Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

Yeah kudos to JJ for his excellent suggestions along with those from Full Range, Patjoy, Awayward, Batty, Zen Mister and the usual contributors. Well done all!

I have just paid for a digital D/L of the Sea Within and it will be interesting to see how this one pans out as it has only generated the 1 main review on RYM so far. Given it was only released less than 2 weeks ago, that will change soon, so opinions might differ in a few weeks / months time.

Here goes:

In terms of writing and playing progressive rock, Stolt & Gildenlöw are like Benny & Björn from Abba in the pop business, pure geniuses. This is far from progressive metal, but Daniel voice's really fits here and don't forget the crazy Marco in the drum kit and another Swedish symphonic master, Jonas. Is  as good as any Flower Kings or Transatlantic album you've heard.

• Like 1

The last album I listened to was a Marillion release 

This album has fans that either like or not like this release 

I’m in the like camp and I realy like the track Grendel 

Artist - Marillion 

Title - B-Sides Themselves 

084CE492-B356-4FC1-A440-238544B74547.jpeg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers,

As my 4000th post, Listening to a new arrival in the post today, The Sea Within, Info from Inside Out website below.

The Sea Within – a new art-rock group formed by Roine Stolt (Transatlantic, The Flower Kings), Daniel Gildenlöw (Pain of Salvation), Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, The Tangent), Tom Brislin (Renaissance, Spiraling, Yes Symphonic, Deborah Harry) & Marco Minnemann (The Aristocrats, Steven Wilson, UK, Joe Satriani) – have announced they will release their as-yet-untitled debut album in Spring 2018.
Roine Stolt comments on how the project came together: “I think all it started as a suggestion from the record company - putting together a new band, starting fresh, seeing if collective writing could spawn a unique style. Call it a supergroup if you want - I think we can handle that.”
The members recently entered Livingston Studios in London to begin recording the basic tracks, and found an instant chemistry in the way they worked together. “Going into the studio in London was taking a great risk as we had not been in the same room together beforehand.” Roine continues: “We had just sent demos around and didn’t really know if we could make great music together, but we managed to track almost 2 hours of new music, a mix of collective ideas. We also had a lot of great ‘off-time’, sharing laughs and stories in local pubs – that part is important.” 
Currently the members are putting the finishing touches on their debut album, and of the music’s direction Roine says: “There are elements of prog, pop, art-rock and many cinematic elements. I suppose the music comes from within our collective memories of all that we love as far as sounds, visions and poetry. We hope that discovering the music will be a journey for the open-minded fan - something as fresh and uncertain and unfolding as it is for us.”
The Sea Within has also announced their first confirmed live date, taking to the stage at Night of the Prog Festival 2018 at Loreley, Germany on the weekend of 13-15th July 2018 alongside Camel, Big Big Train, Riverside & more. Tickets are available now here:
http://www.nightoftheprogfestival.com/en/home-2/
Drawing on their collective experience from across the rock and prog spectrum, The Sea Within sees them coming together to craft new music that sees them all leaving their respective comfort zones and challenging themselves.

754212555_SeaWithin.jpg.fba6e9b8eda2aaae88d840ae00dfe2d0.jpg

JJ

Still awaiting arrival of my order. JJ, what are your thoughts on first listen?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, patjoy said:

Still awaiting arrival of my order. JJ, what are your thoughts on first listen?

Hi @patjoy

I had a second listen today, I must say that I really like it, my personal preference is for the 2nd LP, sides 3 & 4, they are more emotive, to me than sides 1 & 2.

Perhaps I like 3 & 4 better as parts sound very David Bowie on Black Star, but certainly a keeper and will get some rotation over the coming few months :thumb:

JJ

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi @patjoy

I had a second listen today, I must say that I really like it, my personal preference is for the 2nd LP, sides 3 & 4, they are more emotive, to me than sides 1 & 2.

Perhaps I like 3 & 4 better as parts sound very David Bowie on Black Star, but certainly a keeper and will get some rotation over the coming few months :thumb:

JJ

I had a listen to this yesterday, got halfway through and got bored, I’ll try again starting in the middle, the first half might take a few listens.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hired goon said:

a2715097172_16.jpg

Jason Rubenstein - Four Named Narratives -- piano / bass / drums ... seems like a jazz trio but it's actually prog, in the style of ELP, with more emphasis on piano. There's even a cover of ELP's The Barbarian to give you an idea where it's at. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

This one is new to me 

Now I have to go and have a youtube listen 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Now I have to go and have a youtube listen 

You can also stream from the Bandcamp link in the post above. Or just download the album for a listen, if you prefer. No need to go to the yewchewbs, really.

--Geoff

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hired goon said:

You can also stream from the Bandcamp link in the post above. Or just download the album for a listen, if you prefer. No need to go to the yewchewbs, really.

--Geoff

Thanks - did that ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batty said:

I used to do that all the time, judge an LP by the cover.

It worked for me once very well.

Transatlantic, I was impressed by the cover, read about it and bought three albums.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Neurone said:

Feel like listening to some 'Yes' so have some ready to shuffle:

Yes1.jpg.96e366430ede67e96ed5810e08a73e5b.jpg  Yes2.jpg.e49628231e888b916bb04784e479e813.jpg

yes3.jpg.f3d04e5bae40e17e668fdda5939f683c.jpg  Yes4.jpg.46ab20ee11cfc3c039d2b07afc919147.jpg

I like Yes but I must admit they do have a bunch of songs that sound, to me, like the bastard child of unnatural congress between Santana and the Beatles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pieface said:

I like Yes but I must admit they do have a bunch of songs that sound, to me, like the bastard child of unnatural congress between Santana and the Beatles.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

--Geoff 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, betocool said:

It worked for me once very well.

Transatlantic, I was impressed by the cover, read about it and bought three albums.

Cheers,

Alberto

I heard of Transatlantic through the Marillion web site.

• Like 2

On 03/07/2018 at 10:14 AM, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers,

As my 4000th post, Listening to a new arrival in the post today, The Sea Within, Info from Inside Out website below.

The Sea Within – a new art-rock group formed by Roine Stolt (Transatlantic, The Flower Kings), Daniel Gildenlöw (Pain of Salvation), Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings, Karmakanic, The Tangent), Tom Brislin (Renaissance, Spiraling, Yes Symphonic, Deborah Harry) & Marco Minnemann (The Aristocrats, Steven Wilson, UK, Joe Satriani) – have announced they will release their as-yet-untitled debut album in Spring 2018.
Roine Stolt comments on how the project came together: “I think all it started as a suggestion from the record company - putting together a new band, starting fresh, seeing if collective writing could spawn a unique style. Call it a supergroup if you want - I think we can handle that.”
The members recently entered Livingston Studios in London to begin recording the basic tracks, and found an instant chemistry in the way they worked together. “Going into the studio in London was taking a great risk as we had not been in the same room together beforehand.” Roine continues: “We had just sent demos around and didn’t really know if we could make great music together, but we managed to track almost 2 hours of new music, a mix of collective ideas. We also had a lot of great ‘off-time’, sharing laughs and stories in local pubs – that part is important.” 
Currently the members are putting the finishing touches on their debut album, and of the music’s direction Roine says: “There are elements of prog, pop, art-rock and many cinematic elements. I suppose the music comes from within our collective memories of all that we love as far as sounds, visions and poetry. We hope that discovering the music will be a journey for the open-minded fan - something as fresh and uncertain and unfolding as it is for us.”
The Sea Within has also announced their first confirmed live date, taking to the stage at Night of the Prog Festival 2018 at Loreley, Germany on the weekend of 13-15th July 2018 alongside Camel, Big Big Train, Riverside & more. Tickets are available now here:
http://www.nightoftheprogfestival.com/en/home-2/
Drawing on their collective experience from across the rock and prog spectrum, The Sea Within sees them coming together to craft new music that sees them all leaving their respective comfort zones and challenging themselves.

754212555_SeaWithin.jpg.fba6e9b8eda2aaae88d840ae00dfe2d0.jpg

JJ

I gave it a sping the other night on the Spotifies. Reminded me a lot of Transatlantic... means I will have to get me a copy of that record too.

Many thanks for the recommendation and the additional comments, it's always good to know what these guys are up to.

Anyone know if this is available in Oz on LP? Sorry, I haven't googled yet. Taking the lazy way out.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1