Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

16 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Ah Nektar - One of my favourite prog rock bands from Germany.

An orgasm for the ears no less!

If anyone participating in this thread doesn't have any Nektar in their kleckshuns, you can take it to the bank, you need some Nektar in your life.

As much as I like supporting prog bands often well past their use-by date, there are times when you have to call stumps.

With Nektar, their creative juices dried up after their 6th album so anything up to and including "Recycled" is definitely worth getting.

For me, their 1st, 2nd and 4th albums are awesome and would be the first place I would start if you have not yet climbed on board. 

From their live albums, I only have 3, as shown in the attached image but as a band, their overall sound is pretty well spot on for most of their career.

Get yer wallets out lads......

nek1.JPG

nek2.JPG

Man, you are a vast wealth of information.  Just played on youtube, a decent version, sounded good through the Cosmic Rig.  Loved it from the start, although I liked side two more.  I did a check on wiki before I listened, and saw that Iron Maiden covered 'King of Twilight' incorporating parts of 'Crying in the Dark', on the B-side of 'Aces High'.  I'm a huge fan of Maiden's B-sides, and King of Twilight is one of the best for me.  I noticed 'A Tab...' was engineered by Dieter Dierks, and that name was certainly familiar to me, but I had to look him up.  Lo and behold he worked with Scorpions and Accept.  Scorpions 'Blackout' is in my top ten Metal Albums.

Once again I've stumbled onto another thread to follow for a while.  I will be hunting Nektar Vinyl, although by the looks of your comment, they may be out of my price range.

Thanks again mate, love your work.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, progladyte said:

..............As much as I like supporting prog bands often well past their use-by date, there are times when you have to call stumps................

True words! I recall watching a prog concert festival not to long ago which featured the great Focus (without Jan Akkermann). Thijs van leer’s attempt at singing and yodelling in Hocus Pocus was woeful and in fact sooooo embarrassing!!! You got to know when to pull up stumps.

• Like 3

Guest Eggcup The Daft
On 30/05/2018 at 5:08 PM, patjoy said:

True words! I recall watching a prog concert festival not to long ago which featured the great Focus (without Jan Akkermann). Thijs van leer’s attempt at singing and yodelling in Hocus Pocus was woeful and in fact sooooo embarrassing!!! You got to know when to pull up stumps.

On the other hand, there have been some good moments on their last two CDs. We tend to want both excellent new material from older bands, and at the same time for them not to age, change and develop.  There's always criticism of vocalists whose voices age, and of bands that take on younger vocalists to replace them. At one point  Focus' then guitarist Jan Dumas was helping out by hitting the high notes on Hocus Pocus, it sounded right and there was still a lot of criticism.

OK, so two members from their "great" period are there at the moment, but they are clearly a different band. If they can't do Hocus Pocus they should drop it and play what does work for them now. No reason to "pull up stumps" though.

9 hours ago, Full Range said:

Morning progsters 

This prog haul CD lot was in the mail 

Recomended by @progladyte

8871CC45-FA6F-4D05-93EE-42AE34700914.jpeg

Really glad to see you have scorted some BJH discs there Paul.

Knowing what you like from our past transactions and discussions, I think you have scored very well.

May I suggest you start with "Gone To Earth" as it is my favourite and the CD I turn to often for some more mellow prog (that the wife also likes).

I also can't recall if you have any Strawbs in yer kleckshun but they are a great UK proggish band from the 70's period that ticks a lot of boxes.

I you wanted to score the very best from UK and don't mind spending a few pesos to do so, here's my top 40 or so suggestions:

Fields - Fields (1971)

Very bombastic ELP ish sound not unlike Triumvirate from Germany

Strawbs - Hero & Heroine - Essential brilliance

Strawbs - Ghosts

Strawbs - From The Witchwood

Strawbs - Grave new World

Strawbs - Bursting At The Seams

Trying to find a decent compilation of the Strawbs is often tainted by too many crucial tracks from their best albums being omitted. Some obscure / live tracks being thrown in instead.

I have:

A Choice Selection of Strawbs

A Taste of Strawbs

As I have all of the other major releases on CD / digital / LP, I prefer to play each album as it was released as it keep things in a more refined state along with recognizing the bands musical development.

Druid:

Toward the Sun (1975)

Fluid Druid (1976)

(Now available as a twofer CD set)

I cannot stress how brilliant this band is yet they are criminally unknown here. They blend everything that is good about prog but play in a really nice, refined style that ticks a lot of boxes. They are a blend of Yes / Kayak / Focus / Strawbs / BJH / England / Home /

The lead guitar from about 2.40 onwards on this track is really sublime as it reaches that magic feedback level. This is a softish type of track so also try the one below called "Voices" which features excellent vocals very similar to Jon Anderson from Yes, mellotron and great bass)

Fruupp

Future Legends (1973)

Seven Secrets (1974)

The Prince of Heaven's Eyes (1974)

Modern Masquerade (1975)

Take your pick - they are all excellent.

Be Bop Deluxe - Any 2 of their first 5 albums (plus Live in the Air Age) - All good!

Cressida:

Cressida

Asylum

(Now available as a twofer 2CD set)  - essential!!!

Curved Air - Aircut - Awesome electric violin from Daryl Way / Eddie Jobson

Renaissance -

Ashes Are Burning (1973)

Turn Of The Cards (1974)

Scheherezade (1975)

All of these are brilliant featuring the crystalline voice of Sonja Kristen - a true angel!

Steeleye Span This is more of a folkish / proggy band but excellent non-the less and often found in abundance in a lot of prog kleckshuns, (mine included)

Kestrel - Kestrel

Probably the best piece of mellotron heaven you never knew existed. Skip to the section at 3.35 to see what I mean - this is something that Tony Banks wish he could have written but didn't.

The album as a whole is not amongst my favourites but that track August is to die for.

Fantasy - Paint a Picture (1973)

Spring - Spring (1971)

(I used to own this album on the Neon label and swapped it for 3 houses, 2 Porches and an19 year old nympho from London........ Seriously, I did! Well not quite,,,, I think she was a bit older)

Horslips - The Tain

Nick Magnus (Steve Hackett / The Enid)

Hexameron

Children of Another God

The Enid - Invictus

This is a really difficult band to pigeonhole and is one that will take you some time to appreciate. Once you work out what is happening and are fully bitten, you'll want the rest (I did!)

One of their more recent albums I uncovered was a 2012 release called Invicta. It took a while as it covered a huge amount of territory but once I heard the chorus in the track, "Who Created Me", I knew I had to explore further. Even though I had most of their output (scored them cheaply in a throw out sale from USA) I had ignored them until more recently.

This is true art rock / prog rock at it most eccentric but is still quite accessible. Think Godley & Creme from 10cc but different)

Family - Family Entertainment (1969)

Really hard to believe this was produced in 1969. It still holds up very well today.

If you can tolerate Roger Chapman's voice (I can), you won't believe how infectious this album is. Not quite falling under the symphonic prog umbrella, it still appears in many progsters kleckshuns as the song writing is brilliant and hardly what you'd find on a Beatles or Stones album.

Rather than digging for more video links and references, I'm gonna be lazy and cut and paste from Gnosis if you don't object. Anything scoring above 10 or 11 is usually considered worth getting. Just be aware that Gnosis members are invited to rate their collections including some non prog items so be aware there are some main stream albums I like that are not prog at all.

These are from UK (1960's to 1982) with a few later ones thrown in (Enid etc)

If you derive any benefit from these lists / links (and I really hope you do), then that would be great!

I'll go and grab another Shiraz and cebrelate.... If not, I'll go and grab another Shiraz and cebrelate!!!!

Prog on!

gnos1.JPG

gnos2.JPG

gnos3.JPG

gnos4.JPG

gnos5.JPG

gnos6.JPG

gnos7.JPG

gnos8.JPG

gnos9.JPG

gnos10.JPG

gnos11.JPG

gnos12.JPG

gnos13.JPG

gnos14.JPG

• Like 4

@progladyte

The strawbs 

Spinning one of the best releases from this English prog band of the early 70s 

Different musical style offerings to the norm of the day as they incorporated English folk music with a progressive freshness 

And a hit song - Part Of The Union ( just about every man and his dog knows that song ) 

Artist - The Strawbs 

Title - Bursting At The Seams 1973

2D8F7324-ACF7-43E4-A33A-096EE52F52B3.jpeg

5D9E8CEA-F89D-44BC-A0A0-B89514D2AF7A.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, progladyte said:

Renaissance -

Ashes Are Burning (1973) / Turn Of The Cards (1974) / Scheherezade (1975)

All of these are brilliant featuring the crystalline voice of Sonja Kristen - a true angel!

I think you mean Annie Haslam there @progladyte ...

--Geoff 

Edited by hired goon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Proggers, I found this on a hunt looking for more Progladyte (it wouldn't paste name), recommendations on youtube.  Released on the 'Different World' EP.

Later today is first listens on youtube...

Nektar 'Recycled' 1976 Bellaphon Records.                                                                             'Greenslade' 1972 Warner.

1130853605_NektarRecycled1976BellaphonRecords..jpg.a3a2d0256e0517d66e9052d877723b75.jpg                     1453259370_Greenslade1972Warner.jpg.97124af6cfa9a98d47a6d60756a66110.jpg                         

Strawbs 'From the Witchwood' 1971 A&M Records.

2096695458_StrawbsFromtheWitchwood1971AMRecords..jpg.7a10b8ac0da891befd2d38cb0f0ae214.jpg                     More amazing Prog Rock Album Art!!!

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 5

You might actually find the first 2 albums even better there JJ.

1993's "Focus" and 2008's "Traced in Air". They scored 3.75 and 3.61 on RYM which ain't too shabby whereas "Kindly Bent" scored 3.05.

Sean Malone who was with the band from 1993-94, 2008, and 2011 - present plays a really mean Chapman stick which is the same thing Troy Gunn used in King Crimson (1994 - 2003). Amazing instrument if used by talented guys like these 2.

Another couple of bands that you might enjoy include:

Gordion Knot featuring a stellar line-up as per the attached image along with OSI (Office of Strategic Influence) featuring former Dream Theatre's keysman, Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos from Fates Warning fame.

I have both Gordion Knot's offerings along with the first 2 from OSI but haven't caught up with their last 2 yet.

gn.JPG

osi.JPG

osi2.JPG

gn2.JPG

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 1