Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

I haven't heard that album. It was their first, I believe?

I have a vinyl copy of their 1971 album, 'New Leaf'. I've had it since high school days in the early 70s. A schoolfriend sold it to me for $2 because he didn't like it. Most of the album is fairly ordinary country style rock. Not bad I suppose, but nothing special. There is one gem on this album though, an instrumental track titled 'Bradshaw the Bison Hunter'. Some terrific electric violin from Dave Arbus with wah-wah, and a great bass line. (It was Dave Arbus who played the violin at the end of The Who's "Baba O'Riley", by the way.)

PS: The sound quality of that youtube clip is not the greatest. My copy sounds a whole lot better.

I have Mercatur Projected but don't play it that much these days. Should pull it out for a revisit. (The CD that is) ;)

• Like 1

Surf,

If you liked the Sebastian Hardie track, you might like this Dutch band.

Again, being live, some of the integrity with the recording is a bit suss, but the proper studio CD is incredible. The infectious lead lines throughout the song really carry this.

Not bad. I would have to listen to it some more to get the 'feel'!

I haven't heard that album. It was their first, I believe?

I have a vinyl copy of their 1971 album, 'New Leaf'. I've had it since high school days in the early 70s. A schoolfriend sold it to me for $2 because he didn't like it. Most of the album is fairly ordinary country style rock. Not bad I suppose, but nothing special. There is one gem on this album though, an instrumental track titled 'Bradshaw the Bison Hunter'. Some terrific electric violin from Dave Arbus with wah-wah, and a great bass line. (It was Dave Arbus who played the violin at the end of The Who's "Baba O'Riley", by the way.)

PS: The sound quality of that youtube clip is not the greatest. My copy sounds a whole lot better.

This sounds good also!

All these recommendations do sound good, but they would have to grow on me before I could say that I really were into them. It's the kind of non-formula style of music (sort of off-piste) that I can't get my head around. It's seems to be an aquired taste.

I used to love playing this song!

That's a great clip LP - HUGE Manfred Mann fan here - have about 7 or 8 of their CD's / LP/s

"Davy's" one of the best - a classic driving rock anthem......

Damn it if Noel McCalla doesn't sound slightly better than Chris Thompson who is one of my favourite rock singers. - What great presence and delivery on stage!

• Like 1

Surf,

Dude!!! Just play these mothers a few more times until it all sinks in.

Trust me, you'll have to score a bullseye with at least 50% of them.

Did you give Gordon Giltrap a few spins? Does anyone else know this guy's music?????

• Like 1

Saw them at Cardiff Castle in 1975, Along with Hawkwind, The Strawbs and Status Quo.

Batty, what a cool lineup, just blurted my tweeds.

On the other side of the globe, does anyone remember the lovely "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY" - how influential was the track, Bombay Calling? Where have I heard that riff before.....

• Like 1

Surf,

Dude!!! Just play these mothers a few more times until it all sinks in.

Trust me, you'll have to score a bullseye with at least 50% of them.

Did you give Gordon Giltrap a few spins? Does anyone else know this guy's music?????

I have one of Gordon Giltrap's CDs, "Remember This". It's quite nice, but not what I would call prog. Its more of an acoustic guitar album, with Giltrap doing covers of songs/tunes that he likes. Includes some Bach, Lennon/McCartney. Even has a cover of "Summer Holiday"!

• Like 1

I saw Deep Purple at Wembly, shame it was just after Ritchie Blackmore left. I got to see Marillion before Fish left in Edinburgh. If I remember correctly DP were at 100,000 watts indoors!

• Like 1

I saw Deep Purple at Wembly, shame it was just after Ritchie Blackmore left. I got to see Marillion before Fish left in Edinburgh. If I remember correctly DP were at 100,000 watts indoors!

....just 100,000 watts, was it an unplugged evening?

• Like 1

I have one of Gordon Giltrap's CDs, "Remember This". It's quite nice, but not what I would call prog. Its more of an acoustic guitar album, with Giltrap doing covers of songs/tunes that he likes. Includes some Bach, Lennon/McCartney. Even has a cover of "Summer Holiday"!

You only need the following albums from his 70's / 80's period.

Fear of the Dark

Visionary

Perilous Journey

Airwaves

Peacock Party

• Like 1

Batty, what a cool lineup, just blurted my tweeds.

On the other side of the globe, does anyone remember the lovely "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY" - how influential was the track, Bombay Calling? Where have I heard that riff before.....

I tried to like this band but it was one of a small number from the 70's that didn't grab me enough at the time.

• Like 1

Progladyte is obviously a person of great taste, many similarities in music, I have noted to me :love:cool::thumb:;)

A thought hit me to add some more starting with British

Messin%27.jpgSolar_Fire.jpgThe_Good_Earth.jpgNightingales_And_Bombers.jpg

ProcolHarum.jpgProcol_Harum-A_Salty_Dog_%28album_cover%29.jpgProcol_Harum_Grand.jpg220px-NiceFiveBridges.jpg

Then Greek :

Aphrodites_Child_End_Of_The_World.jpg220px-666_Aphrodite%27s_Child.jpg

Krautrock:

220px-AmonDuulYeti.jpgAsh_Ra_Tempel_%28album%29.jpgJourneyNektar.jpg220px-Faust_AlbumCover_Faust.jpg

USA:

220px-Supertramp_-_Crime_of_the_Century.jpg220px-Supertramp_-_Breakfast_in_America.jpgTodd_rundgrens_utopia.jpg

Some OZ:

cover_1059233172010.jpg483029.jpg

JJ

JJ - some seriously nice music there brother.

I have all of those except Faust and the Ashra although I have a few others on L.P.

Todd Rundgren never topped the sublime Utopia debut IMHO. That track, "The Ikon" is killer.

• Like 2

We can't love 'em all. I always have a soft spot for violin in a rock context ( hence the East of Eden thing), but recently acquired a twofer of first two albums, and was surprised by how contemporary some of the guitar sounded. Had not aged too badly at all.

• Like 1

Had to post some Focus. I was a big fan of this band in their day, just loved Jan Akkerman's guitar work. I always thought their music had something of a jazz influence in it, which I liked a lot.

PS: First time I've viewed this clip. Wow, its a cracker!

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 4

Anyone tried Ozric Tentacles? They recorded an album in the bus station at Reading, where I used to live (the town not bus station).

Steve,

I have about 8 or 9 of these guys as well but will probably call it quits at that number.

• Like 1

Had to post some Focus. I was a big fan of this band in their day, just loved Jan Akkerman's guitar work. I always thought their music had something of a jazz influence in it, which I liked a lot.

Great band Emesbee - I have about 4 CD's and a handful of vinyl from these guys.

• Like 1

Interesting topic thanks for the heads up ZM. The late 60s was an amazing time as mentioned previously for music especially in England. Bands and musicians felt that they could go anywhere and there were no boundaries and talent was appreciated. Take for example Jethro Tull started as a blues band and went on to produce music like Thick as a brick (one of the best live gigs I have seen). And what about Astral Weeks? Keith Emerson felt the need to include classical music and pulled it off after the Nice failed. Once these guys broke the barriers modern music blossomed into an era of unparalleled creativity. King Crimson, Brand X, Soft Machine. YES, from the UK and Amon Duul and Focus from Europe, Miles Davis, Chick Corea (RTF), Spirit from the US, Mahavishnu was international morphing into shakti, and of course here in OZ McKenzie Theory. It took into the 90s before creativity and boundary less music came back when the world fusion thing took off even though it wasn't really new

• Like 1