Anatoly Beaver-Hausen

Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

That's what we should all do.

Surf Purple, I have heard Deep Purple with Ritchie, Tommy and Steve, all live. "SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE SCREAMING" is my most passionate love of the entire repertoire: the guitar solo brings me to tears of joy and longing whenever I hear it. I have a celestial bond with Steve Morse- we were born within hours of each other.

With this thread, I just wanted a place for PROG lovers to celebrate their passion- we have had to many years of being lambasted and satirized, I felt it was time for us raise our freak flag high, and not to have to justify our existence.

Peace in music, ZM.

Fair enough. Like yourself I don't listen to any lyrics (as you mentioned in another thread (I thought that I was the only person that never knew a word)) - so its something to do with the structure, timing, key, intertwining of themes or whatever, that appeals. The flipside of my coin is that I can't connect with blues based music, or jazz and their derivatives. Anyway its just a matter of personal preference - but its still curious how the brain can 'like' something and not something else that isn't too dissimilar.

Sure, I wasn't putting it down..........it just doesn't float my boat the way blues does.

I don't think we should confuse prog rock with medieval rock!

; )

Yeh, I have to say, with all due respect, that I don't find much melody in that song! As much as it is a very 'melodic sounding' song! BUT it is not melody in my ears!

But I will still listen to other 'prog' music and see if I can find some 'gold' in there!

Surf, the one thing I would surmise for anyone discovering prog music from so many years ago would be that.

1. Back in the 60's / 70's, the choice was a lot more restricted. You either accepted the very formulaic and predictable top 40 pop stuff / ventured into more adventurous or experimental music like The Stooges / Patti Smith / Lou Reed / Ramones or delved into the prog abyss with all of its sub genre.

2. Given the explosive growth of so many lesser known bands these days thanks to the internet, the choice is bewilderingly ridiculous so discovering something that you like that is not necessarily all the rage would have to be somewhat harder. I.E. a lot of young people recommend music that is right up there with their awareness and knowledge of what is current / in vogue / cool / easily accessible via D/L etc. Being in digital form, the music is easily transferable not like the 70's where some considerable time had to be spent on copying stuff to cassettes.

3. Prog got itself a bad name after the mid 70's and every other critic / reviewer crapped on just about every title released until its resurgence in the 90's when more people began to take notice again.

4. Being a little more adventurous and less accessible does not in itself make prog non melodic. It just takes a few more concentrated spins before the magic sinks in.

Trust me Surf, I could recommend some incredible music that would blow your **** off, if you gave it a chance.

Surf, the one thing I would surmise for anyone discovering prog music from so many years ago would be that.

1. Back in the 60's / 70's, the choice was a lot more restricted. You either accepted the very formulaic and predictable top 40 pop stuff / ventured into more adventurous or experimental music like The Stooges / Patti Smith / Lou Reed / Ramones or delved into the prog abyss with all of its sub genre.

2. Given the explosive growth of so many lesser known bands these days thanks to the internet, the choice is bewilderingly ridiculous so discovering something that you like that is not necessarily all the rage would have to be somewhat harder. I.E. a lot of young people recommend music that is right up there with their awareness and knowledge of what is current / in vogue / cool / easily accessible via D/L etc. Being in digital form, the music is easily transferable not like the 70's where some considerable time had to be spent on copying stuff to cassettes.

3. Prog got itself a bad name after the mid 70's and every other critic / reviewer crapped on just about every title released until its resurgence in the 90's when more people began to take notice again.

4. Being a little more adventurous and less accessible does not in itself make prog non melodic. It just takes a few more concentrated spins before the magic sinks in.

Trust me Surf, I could recommend some incredible music that would blow your **** off, if you gave it a chance.

Thanks for the spin 'Prog' (pardon the pun), I should take some time to have a good listen to a varying scope of prog rock. And I do appreciate that it will take a number of 'spins' to get it!

I think that a 'lot' of music that the younger generation are listening to these days is NOT very melodic! BUT they embrace it all the same.

I have heard some of the older prog rock music (genesis, yes, king crimson, etc) and I can appreciate some of it, yet it doesn't really do a lot for me.....yet! Maybe I might 'get' it eventually!

In the meantime I will have a listen (sample) some of the mentioned albums and see if they do anything for me. Cheers.

That's what we should all do.

Surf Purple, I have heard Deep Purple with Ritchie, Tommy and Steve, all live. "SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE SCREAMING" is my most passionate love of the entire repertoire: the guitar solo brings me to tears of joy and longing whenever I hear it. I have a celestial bond with Steve Morse- we were born within hours of each other.

With this thread, I just wanted a place for PROG lovers to celebrate their passion- we have had to many years of being lambasted and satirized, I felt it was time for us raise our freak flag high, and not to have to justify our existence.

Peace in music, ZM.

ZM, you obviously have a spot for Deep Purple. And 'Sometimes' is a modern day classic (in my mind), so I can appreciate where you are coming from.

Also I can see the passion in your words with regards to 'prog rock'. There obviously IS something in there that gets you listeners so exited!

So as I said before, I will sample as much prog as I can and try to give it a chance to work on me. And don't get me wrong, as I have listened to various prog over the years (as it looks like a great 'style' of music, as I love improvisation and extended solos etc), but nothing has really 'hit' home yet.

I'm trying, but I just can't see what's so 'listenable' here!

Surf, play each of those clips 4 or 5 times in a row and then report back with your thoughts.

By the 5th listen, your brain will have become sufficiently familiar with the song structure / chord progressions / melody / chorus and perhaps some of the lyrics to the point that you will "know" the music. If, after the 5th listen, you still don't like it then obviously your tastes may not include a lot of prog.

Surf,

I implore you to play this track 5 times and tell me the slowly building emotive lead break doesn't bring a tear to your eye. This thing drips with melody.

This band (from Holland) were pretty huge in Europe, lost the plot mid 70's but came back with a stunning album called "Close to The Fire"

This track is called "Frozen Flame"

Here's another one - A Polish band called Omega

A classic Italian prog band. IIRC, the lyrics were translated by Peter Sinfield (King Crimson)

Surf, play each of those clips 4 or 5 times in a row and then report back with your thoughts.

By the 5th listen, your brain will have become sufficiently familiar with the song structure / chord progressions / melody / chorus and perhaps some of the lyrics to the point that you will "know" the music. If, after the 5th listen, you still don't like it then obviously your tastes may not include a lot of prog.

Very good advise on trying 'new' music! It is the way I have found new music, by listening numerous times until I become 'familiar' with the music.

I will try to give it some time and 'report back'!

A classic German band called Nektar (complete with the annoying clicks and pops at the start)

Edited by progladyte

Very good advise on trying 'new' music! It is the way I have found new music, by listening numerous times until I become 'familiar' with the music.

I will try to give it some time and 'report back'!

Good on ya Surf!!!

We'll make a convert of you yet.

Guys, clear some space for Surf!!!

I'm playing King Crimson '21st schizoid man' right now!

I listened to it way back when I was about 15, at a mates house,and had a spot for it ever since.

Maybe there is some hope!

I just looked up 'Sebastion Hardie' and found that Jon English was an early member! And they were the backing band for the legendary Jonny O'Keefe in 1969!

Jon English was a member of a number of bands from earlier on (between 69 to 71 or 72 IIRC .

Sebastian Hardie's main contribution to prog came about in 75, long after Jon went his own way.

I think Jon may have been involved with Sebastian Hardie Blues Band which played totally different music to what this great band produced.

Didn't know about the J.O.K link though.

Edited by progladyte

Eeeeh this thread brings back memories... Always loved prog, esp. Yes. I bought a Be Bop Delux album from this very forum. I have cassette recordings of The Enid, one of which I digitised a while back. I have a Horslips album, too - I think it is The Tain (it is if that album has Charolais on it). Been a while since I heard that and I am hungering to hear it again now.

Mind you, it can be dangerous in another way. A recently purchased CD copy of Genesis' "And then there were three" gave me a serious ear-worm. I had forgotten that it was not one of their better albums (i first bought it when I was very young, ok?) and it took a week to get rid of one of the tunes... Still, always that danger in the world of music, no matter the genre. =)

Eeeeh this thread brings back memories... Always loved prog, esp. Yes. I bought a Be Bop Delux album from this very forum. I have cassette recordings of The Enid, one of which I digitised a while back. I have a Horslips album, too - I think it is The Tain (it is if that album has Charolais on it). Been a while since I heard that and I am hungering to hear it again now.

Mind you, it can be dangerous in another way. A recently purchased CD copy of Genesis' "And then there were three" gave me a serious ear-worm. I had forgotten that it was not one of their better albums (i first bought it when I was very young, ok?) and it took a week to get rid of one of the tunes... Still, always that danger in the world of music, no matter the genre. =)

Good to see some more Horslips fans!

You can safely stop after Wind & Wuthering or even Seconds Out if you like your Genesis live.

Just remembered a track from the distant past - In Every Dream Home A Heartache by Roxy Music, I must dig that out.

I just looked up 'Sebastion Hardie' and found that Jon English was an early member! And they were the backing band for the legendary Jonny O'Keefe in 1969!

I saw them heaps of times live............they were pretty boring.

Only had a few good tracks.

Here's one of my all time favourites....................just for SP.

Surf,

If you liked the Sebastian Hardie track, you might like this Dutch band.

Again, being live, some of the integrity with the recording is a bit suss, but the proper studio CD is incredible. The infectious lead lines throughout the song really carry this.

Here's one of my all time favourites....................just for SP.

Great track LP but these guys had SOOOOO many great songs......

Surf,

If you liked the Sebastian Hardie track, you might like this Dutch band.

Again, being live, some of the integrity with the recording is a bit suss, but the proper studio CD is incredible. The infectious lead lines throughout the song really carry this.

That's pretty good, prog.