Anatoly Beaver-Hausen

Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

Now listening to Steve Hackett 'Please Don't Touch', with Richie Havens and Randy Crawford on guest vocals. Didn't Genesis provide a launch-pad for some very talented artists?!

The music world would have been poorer without them. "What about Phil Collins?" I hear you say. Well, he was a very good drummer, and the Brand X album I have is testament to his non-singing drumming ability!

Edited by GraemeB

Focus, one of the LOUDEST bands I EVER heard (apart from Tony Williams Lifetime at same venue!). Brilliant band.

Venue was a small club in Wardour St in London's West End, forgotten name of place now. About same size as Ronny Scott's ... what a real estate agent would call 'intimate'!

I saw many good progressive bands evry Sunday at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm. Saw Yes and Pink Floyd (seperate gigs) at the legendary Rainbow Theatre (although acoustics at back of stalls was woeful!)

I will never forgive myself for getting on a bus, at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970, hearing Jimi Hendrix in the distance playing Star Spangled Banner from the stage. No one knew he'd be dead 2 weeks later! I'd celebrated (a bit too vigorously) my birthday the day before and I was VERY hung over.

I went to see a lot of bands in the early to mid 70s. Saw Yes, Focus, Jethro Tull, among others. Also saw Mahavishnu Orchestra in 1975, and they were brilliant. Their latest album at the time was 'Visions Of The Emerald Beyond', and they played most of it at the concert as I recall. The interplay between John McLaughlin's guitar and Jean Luc Ponty's electric violin was a joy to behold. Mahavishnu Orchestra are usually labelled as Jazz/Fusion, but if anything was progressive, this was.

Ahh, emesbee, I could do a shameless namedrop re Mr JMc (aka Mahavishnu) but I won't! ;o)

Just let it be said that the last time I saw him he wasn't happy to see me, as I reminded him of a time past. Still sad about that.

Through him I met George Martin and sound engineer Geoff Emmerick, then at AIR Studios. Plus a few other 'interesting' muso-type people. Ahh, dem woz the dayz!

Edited by GraemeB

Been listening to Can "Tago-Mago". What an epic!!

can-tago-mago.jpg

Not sure if this is Prog Rock or Krautrock or both.

I'm a big fan of the prog........but like all genres.......there is a lot of crap around too.

(could be a personal taste thing too)

Of course under that prog umbrella sits a number of sub prog genres such as symphonic, canterbury, prog-metal, space-rock, etc etc. I have always has a soft spot for Italian prog especially from the 70s - eg PFM and Le Orme.

Le Orme from their 1971 album "Collage"

After a hiatus of about 8 years Le Orme released a nice cd last year called La Via della Seta - nice symphonic guitar/melodies with floating synths.

brumby, you've got me stumped. The period of approx 1967 - 1975 produced some of the best music imho. Things certainly started deteriorate in the second half of the 70s. As for the 80s don't go there.

I can't help but agree with this.

This duo are American but have a couple Japanese dancing girls - be brave, poor SQ but insane band

Awesome, I'm picking up what you're laying down Houdini, what are the albums to get?

Yes.

I played their Yes album today

Awesome, I'm picking up what you're laying down Houdini, what are the albums to get?

Hypermagic Mountain is a good start

Wouldn't he be better off having a mic attached to his ear muffs?

Ah, I think you've hit on a point there surfpurple. That often neglected element of music, melody! And there is certainly melody in a lot of what we call prog rock. If you don't believe me, I implore you to have a listen to some Gryphon. 'Red Queen To Gryphon Three' is probably a good place to start. (Actually, I implore everyone to listen to Gryphon! ;) )

Ah that's the one we had a taste of at Batty's? I remember it being very good MSB

Ah that's the one we had a taste of at Batty's? I remember it being very good MSB

That one was their 5th and last studio album 'Treason' from 1977, after some lineup changes. Very good sound quality on that album too. Their first album was more acoustic and folk oriented. They became more electric with each recording, sounding rather Yes-like on their third album. They sound a bit different on each album, but still recognisably Gryphon.

Mention of Gryphon stirred memories of a contemporary band called THE AMAZING BLONDEL. These guys fashioned their music around traditional English forms of music, and utilized ancient instruments, as well as a few of their own invention. They actually had a very successful career, releasing many albums, up to and including a reformation album just a few years ago.

Reference wise, they sat right in the midst of the Progressive movement, but I guess you would call it Psych-Folk- Progressive, - see what I mean about genres blurring around the edges.

Choice albums would be the self titled first, and the better known, still enjoyable, EVENSONG from 1971.

From across the channel, I wanted to flag that deranged bunch of German miscreants who served many brilliant albums on an unsuspecting world, the rather scary AMON DUUL These guys evolved from the commune ethic.

The early few albums are the ones to look out for, starting with"PHALLUS DEI" (Gods Penis, if you will), " YETI", with it's iconic cover art, up to 1972s "WOLF CITY".These guys mixed politics, drugs, derangement and great musicianship into a sonic mix that still sounds avant-gard today. It takes a big system to reproduce this often dense and challenging music, but it is very fulfilling when it clicks for you. perhaps not for the faint of heart.

Edited by Zen Mister

Who needs a house number? this is the front of our house when I had the prog n Grog GTG.

I later moved it to the front door as brick and blu-tak are not friends.

post-109729-0-28943800-1337476616_thumb.

Batty, you make my heart sing- in an unusual time signature, with an unexpected key change and an extended outro.

Who needs a house number? this is the front of our house when I had the prog n Grog GTG.

I later moved it to the front door as brick and blu-tak are not friends.

You da MAN!!!!!

Love it!!!!!

My apologies for not noticing that on the day batty . Man you are a Prog Man

Sits on top of my fish tank now

Mention of Gryphon stirred memories of a contemporary band called THE AMAZING BLONDEL. These guys fashioned their music around traditional English forms of music, and utilized ancient instruments, as well as a few of their own invention. They actually had a very successful career, releasing many albums, up to and including a reformation album just a few years ago.

Reference wise, they sat right in the midst of the Progressive movement, but I guess you would call it Psych-Folk- Progressive, - see what I mean about genres blurring around the edges.

Choice albums would be the self titled first, and the better known, still enjoyable, EVENSONG from 1971.

I only really discovered Amazing Blondel in the last couple of years. Picked up a 2nd hand copy of Restoration, which they recorded in 1997. Quite liked it, so I bought the remastered CDs of some of their earlier albums, Evensong/Fantasia Lindum and England/Blondel (they were reissued as two albums per CD). Not quite sure what I think of them at this stage, I think they are a bit of an acquired taste.

Stop it guys - you are bringing back memories which are now about to cost.

I went through the 60s without buying even one piece of rock, pop or blues - nothing there of interest to me (still not interested). Then about 1970ish I discovered prog rock and folk rock; and started in hifi at the same time. The mentions above of Le Orme and Styx and Focus and Gryphon ... I had them all at the time (and Tull and ELP and Yes and Genesis and its offshoots and most everything else ...) but later drifted off to other sounds. These days mainstream Celtic and folk rock get a regular spin with some more recent prog and concept stuff.

Just this minute spent some $ at Amazon to refresh my audio memory. Its all your fault Zen and Progladyte and MSB and Batty et al!

Look out for early Horslips too, they are more Irish folk Rock with a hint of Prog.

I just can't come at that celtic/folk stuff.

They predate Thin Lizzy.

Some essential prog gems if anyone's interested:

post-112573-0-52507500-1337490149_thumb.

post-112573-0-53555300-1337490222.jpg

post-112573-0-23577600-1337490095_thumb.

post-112573-0-56001100-1337489985_thumb.

post-112573-0-46931200-1337490291_thumb.

post-112573-0-78221700-1337490402_thumb.

post-112573-0-24194000-1337490442_thumb.

Glass Hammer

post-112573-0-26215500-1337490471.jpg

post-112573-0-56397300-1337490507_thumb.

post-112573-0-84250900-1337490577_thumb.

post-112573-0-33036200-1337490609.jpg

Happy The Man

post-112573-0-91480400-1337490696_thumb.