Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:07 PM, emesbee said:

Pulled out my two Rare Bird CDs last night and gave them another spin. For some reason these albums don't really grab me as much as they probably should. While I do appreciate their organ/keyboard driven sound, and these albums certainly have their high points, something doesn't quite gel with me as a whole. Not quite sure why that is.

Rare Bird (1969)

R-2948135-1372233489-1305.jpeg.jpg

Sympathy - this was released as a single and was quite successful, probably a high point of this album.

As Your Mind Flies By (1970) - 

R-15312062-1589744653-8884_jpeg_720x.jpg

Flight - the centrepiece of this album, around 19 minutes long.

After this album, Graham Fields left Rare Bird and formed the trio Fields with guitarist and singer Alan Barry, and Andrew McCulloch on drums and percussion. They released an absolute cracker of an album in 1971 before being dudded by their recording label CBS and calling it quits (and, yes, I know I've mentioned this album before).

s-l500.jpg

Fields  - A Friend Of Mine

Fields - The Eagle

Fields is an awesome album and should be in evlabody's kleckshun.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:07 PM, emesbee said:

In hindsight, I think my opinion of Rare Bird has probably been coloured by my strong liking of Fields. I first heard this album back in 1972 when I was in high school and loved it, but was not aware of Rare Bird at the time, and only got to hear them quite recently.  There is quite a lot to be enjoyed on the Rare Bird albums, but every time I play Fields, it sounds to me like they realised the potential that Rare Bird didn't quite achieve. It almost feels like Rare Bird was a rehearsal for Fields (others may well disagree though).

• Like 1

Frankenfido - Covid 19/4 -- here's me getting a bit proggy. I decided that these troubled times needed a song in 19/4 time, so I came up with a string riff (actually two bars of 5/4 and three bars of 3/4) and the rest of the band layed down shiz over that.  A work in progess ... sounds a little ELP to my ears ... but maybe it can be extended with some vocals.

--Geoff 

• Like 3

image.png.7a8834ccbe60f32e6025894e0e3c57cc.png

Probably my favourite Pallas album. The 1st and last tracks are epic. Alan Read's voice can be somewhat soft at times and you just wish he could turn up the volume more, especially in the quieter moments.

• Like 4

Welcome Mr. Toad. You will find lots of likeminded fellows here, and some of the most informed listeners to boot. Always room for one more. Thread mastermind is Mr. Progladyte, and regular contributors keep the kettle on the boil.

ARGENT were a very tasty progressive band : were you aware of the recent two-fers put out by Dutton-Vocallion. Lots of quad tracks included.

Again, welcome 👌🎶😃

Billy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave,

did we have a new post from Mr Toad which has since gone AWOL.

You realise we need all the input we can get from new members.

Might need to recruits some of those sprukers from the Mormons  who go door knocking and ask for some ideas.

Better still,

How about.................................................

NO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Prog - I’m sure we will hear more from Mr Toad. On the home front, just waiting for the new BeBop Deluxe reissue ‘ LIVE IN THE AIR AGE ‘ a  3 disc effort released  in the U. K.  yesterday. 
Billy 🎶🎶🎶

• Like 2

I got put off pre ordering Marillion's 20th studio album as the postage is 25 pounds, about $40, the LP is the same price unless I want it signed or in multicolours when it is 30 pounds each.

Maybe I'll get the signed and coloured ones, postage is the same for 2.

Oh these 1st world problems :)

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 4:53 AM, Batty said:

I got put off pre ordering Marillion's 20th studio album as the postage is 25 pounds, about $40, the LP is the same price unless I want it signed or in multicolours when it is 30 pounds each.

Maybe I'll get the signed and coloured ones, postage is the same for 2.

Oh these 1st world problems :)

Postage for Transatlantic's latest ultra edition was about 50% of the price of the record(s)...

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

Two interesting live shows to soundtrack my walk today, both on the ‘tube.

First was STAR CASTLE LIVE IN DETROIT. Either a fm broadcast or good soundboard. Easy to hear the YES influence but also lots of GREENSLADE type workouts.

Second was a live set from YES on the TORMATO tour. Surprised to hear a slab of future RELAYER popping up in one of the wig outs.

Sonics very high quality, mucho impressed.

Billy

• Like 5

16 hours ago, ZEN MISTER said:

Two interesting live shows to soundtrack my walk today, both on the ‘tube.

First was STAR CASTLE LIVE IN DETROIT. Either a fm broadcast or good soundboard. Easy to hear the YES influence but also lots of GREENSLADE type workouts.

Second was a live set from YES on the TORMATO tour. Surprised to hear a slab of future RELAYER popping up in one of the wig outs.

Sonics very high quality, mucho impressed.

Billy

Relayer came out four years before Tormato, so it should not come as a surprise to hear anything from it by that point.

• Like 1

My surprise was Rick playing live on anything from RELAYER, which was the album Patrick Moraz  played on after Ricks’ departure from YES. Rick had few good things to say about the album, which in my appreciation, was superior to anything on TORMATO, bar one track. Excuse the word ‘ future ‘.

Billy

Edited by ZEN MISTER
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, ZEN MISTER said:

My surprise was Rick playing live on anything from RELAYER, which was the album Patrick Moraz  played on after Ricks’ departure from YES. Rick had few good things to say about the album, which in my appreciation, was superior to anything on TORMATO, bar one track. Excuse the word ‘ future ‘.

Billy

Unlike his good friend Jon Anderson, Wakeman has never seemed to worry about performing songs on which he wasn't featured. The last time I saw him touring under his own banner, Oxford New Theatre in 2003, he happily closed the night with an encore performance of Starship Trooper. When Yes played in Sydney later that year he didn't seem to bat an eyelid when playing the song(s) from Magnification. Perhaps his time as a session player has left him feeling more sanguine about what he plays, thinking that he's there to serve the music above all else.

I must have a look at that on YT, seeing/hearing him interpreting the Relayer music intrigues me. Thanks for the nudge.

• Like 2