Anatoly Beaver-Hausen

Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

5 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi @progladyte

Obviously some funds available this time around 😉

JJ

Hey, Hey!

Pick One! (One of them is partially true)

I just did a dumpster dive at St Vinny's.

I just raided the grand kids piggy boxes.

I own the Perth Mint

I often receive evaluation copies for ultimate review.

JBHi Fi had mis-priced all their CDs

I did some voluntary stock taking for my mates at Bunnings

I paid with Buttcoin.

I found 'em on the ground, honestly orrificer.

I was at this garage sale......... didn't like the garages so bought something else

Pensioner discounts are now 170%

I just sold the wife's car as she can't drive very well and used the proceeds wisely.

I just sold the wife.

I traded in my old pogo stick and billy cart.

Amazon had so many copies they didn't know what to do with them

I smiled at the cashier...

smile.jpg

Edited by progladyte

5 hours ago, progladyte said:

Hey, Hey!

Pick One! (One of them is partially true)

I just did a dumpster dive at St Vinny's.

I just raided the grand kids piggy boxes.

I own the Perth Mint

I often receive evaluation copies for ultimate review.

JBHi Fi had mis-priced all their CDs

I did some voluntary stock taking for my mates at Bunnings

I paid with Buttcoin.

I found 'em on the ground, honestly orrificer.

I was at this garage sale......... didn't like the garages so bought something else

Pensioner discounts are now 170%

I just sold the wife's car as she can't drive very well and used the proceeds wisely.

I just sold the wife.

I traded in my old pogo stick and billy cart.

Amazon had so many copies they didn't know what to do with them

I smiled at the cashier...

smile.jpg

I recon the true is: You raided the grand kids piggy bank. Akin to child abuse, l recon😄

Just now, needlerunner said:

I recon the true is: You raided the grand kids piggy bank. Akin to child abuse, l recon😄

As Tom Gleeson would say,

"Incorrect"

Once I had checked the contents of both their piggy banks, I realised there were insufficient funds available so I glued them both back up.

The piggy banks that is......

This is a very HARD quiz.............

pb.jpg

Hi @progladyte

I recken you:

After your grand circumnavigation you tried

- I just sold the wife.

but the buyer wanted you instead :shocked:

JJ

Edited by Janjuc

11 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi @progladyte

I recken you:

After your grand circumcision you tried

- I just sold the wife.

but the buyer wanted you instead :shocked:

JJ

Almost but he wanted the grand kids piggy banks thrown in for free.

Geez! Some people have no scroooooples

Hi Proggers, 

Have just preordered the new Karfagen Symphonic Prog release, Birds Of Passage from Ukranian artist, Antony Kalugin, from Bandcamp, with luck should be here in a week or so.

Karfagan.jpg.93d6ebf70993ff19ed7a2b65f384632a.jpg

JJ

2 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers, 

Have just preordered the new Karfagen Symphonic Prog release, Birds Of Passage from Ukranian artist, Antony Kalugin, from Bandcamp, with luck should be here in a week or so.

Karfagan.jpg.93d6ebf70993ff19ed7a2b65f384632a.jpg

JJ

I have my eye on this one as well, having just scored its predecessor recently.

For anyone considering something new to try in the prog rock camp, you can do no wrong with this prolific outfit. Their previous 10 albums since 2006 have all scored around 3.5 / 5.00 on RYM which is indicative of how consistent the band is.

I don't really have a favourite as they all appeal in their own special way but to add to the OPs post, may I include a few reviews from DPRP:

Karfagen - Continium
Country of Origin: Ukraine
Format: CD
Record Label: Unicorn Digital
Catalogue #: UNCR-5030
Year of Release: 2006
Time: 41:29
Info: N/A
Samples: Click here

Tracklist: A Winter Tale - Part 1 [i Out Of The Deep, ii Into The Light] (4:27), A Winter Tale - Part 2 [i On The Air, ii Summer Song] (5:34), Silent Anger (4:49), Old Legends (4:22), All The Time I Think About You (3:04), Amused Fair [i Arrival, ii Festive Mood, iii Wild Flower] (8:13), Stone Talk (2:03), Marvelous Dance (3:31), Muse (2:38), Close To Heaven (2:43)

Reputedly, The Ukraine has only one progressive rock band, Karfagen. Initially formed 11 years ago, when de facto band leader and keyboard player Antony Kalugin was a mere 14-year-old, the group recorded their first album in 1998 and took to the stage in 2000. Disagreements between the band members resulted in plans for a follow-up album to be abandoned and the effectively left the line-up with two members, Kalugin and his close friend accordionist Sergei Kovalev. In 2002, Kalugin, who by this time was working in a recording studio, recorded a solo album entitled The Water, and then concentrated on raising funds for another band album why writing and performing on more than 40 new age and relaxation albums. In 2005, the band was completed by the addition of second keyboardist Oleg Polyanskig, drummer Koslya Shepelenko, bassist Roman Druid and guitarist Roman Filonenko and work on the recording of Continium was started.

Predominantly instrumental and entirely composed by Kalugin, the album occupies the lighter end of progressive music, focusing on melodic and atmospheric music primarily played on keyboards. However, that is not to suggest that the album takes too much from the new age music that Kalugin has been responsible for producing, Continium is comprised of high quality progressive music nicely blended with folk elements. Opening number, A Winter's Tale will be a delight to fans of Camel with a great mixture of keyboards and guitar and even flute (played by guest musician Georgly Kalunin who appears on several tracks). Part two is more band focused with excellent playing throughout, never losing sight of the importance of melody. The song ends with a more folk-orientated piece performed on flute and duduk, an Armenian instrument somewhat akin to a recorder (in appearance anyway!)

Silent Anger is an interesting piece that employs a variety of instruments playing a central theme. Again, there are folk elements, blending a mediaeval introduction with accordion and faux Mellotron and, towards the end, some ethnic female vocalisations. Old Legends is more straight forward progressive rock with some entertaining piano playing mixed in an overall marvellous arrangement. In contrast, All That I Think About You is solo piano and contains some interesting themes but perhaps is a bit over laden with fancy flourishes that may give some people the impression of being a bit twee. Amused Fair allows the band to stretch out a bit. The drumming is a bit bland but the guitarist adds some nice jazzy touches which go well with the piano and flute resulting in a very enjoyable piece of music. Stone Talk is a brief and atmospheric instrumental that could easily have come from one of Ant Phillips' albums of library music. A very jaunty piano riff introduces Marvelous Dance (no, not a typo!), one of the tracks on a demo tape that initially aroused interest in the band by the Unicorn Digital label. Camel references are again appropriate; an altogether excellent piece of music.

The instrumental album ends with Muse, which, as the title suggests, is very laid back and mellow. The keyboards and sound effects ass atmosphere while the jazzy approach of the guitar adds foreground interest. The mellow mood is maintained by the bonus track Close To Heaven, presumably labelled as a bonus as it is the only track with a lyric. An excellent male and female duet it brings the album to a very pleasant end (although the printed lyrics could have done with being put through a spell checker and proof-read before printing!)

Altogether Continium is a very enjoyable album and bodes well for the future of this Ukrainian group. The album is excellently packaged with some great artwork and although the typeface used makes reading the credits rather difficult (apologies for any spelling mistakes in the names of the band members!), it is a very stylish package, both visually and musically.

Conclusion: 7 out of 10

MARK HUGHES

Karfagen – Solitary Sandpiper Journey

Karfagen – Solitary Sandpiper Journey
Format: CD
Record Label: Caerllysi Music
Catalogue #: CM10005
Year of Release: 2010
Time: 75:05
Info: Karfagen
Samples: Click here

Tracklist: Spirit Of Revelation (7:18), Magic Moment (4:22), Silent Anger [Part 2] (6:15), Solitary Sandpiper King (5:03), Searching For Love (8:32), Carpathians (13:49), Ode To A New Life (5:27), Kingfisher & Dragonflies [Part 2] (2:15), Mystery ~ a) Solid Ground; b) Rising Sun; c) Destruction; d) Redemption; e) Spirit Of Revelation [reprise] (22:00)

Hailing from Ukraine, Antony Kalugin formed Karfagen in 1997 whilst still at school and a year later, whilst at Uni, he began to write the band’s debut album but it wasn’t until 2005, after he had composed and performed on more than 40 albums, that he had sufficient funds to record it. That year saw the band signing to Unicorn Digital.

Continium saw the light of day in 2006 and was reviewed by DPRP here. A year later we reviewed The Space Between Us. Both received praise, deservedly so, and respectable ratings, earning 7/10 and 6/10 respectively.

This latest effort sees Karfagen on the Caerllysi Music label, and both these previous albums have been repackaged by them and a ton of demos and unreleased material have been added. The double CD offering The Key To Perception offers over 150 minutes of music for a bargain price and comes highly recommended in terms of value for money if nothing else. Full Track MP3 Downloads of two tracks can be found here from Caerllysi Music.

Kalugin wrote all the tracks here, as well as playing keyboards, percussion and sharing vocal duties with seventeen supporting musicians, who variously help out on guitars, drums, sax, bass, cello, flute, oboe, bassoon, viola and violin.

Oh, and he co-produced the record, mixed and mastered it and designed the booklet. The overall package is highly professional.

I’m put very much in mind of the solo output of Roine Stolt and Tomas Bodin, both musically and in terms of the singular creative vision at its heart.

The lyrics, which are all in English, tend to take a back seat to the music - symphonic prog with folky, jazzy and improv tinges very much in the mould of the Flower Kings. Check out Ode To A New Life – a marvellous little instrumental straight out of the Stolt songbook. When he does clear his pipes, so to speak, Kalugin’s vocals are in places eerily reminiscent of said Mr Stolt (check out Searching For Love) but Marina Zakharova lends her vocal skills to three tracks.

Opener Spirit Of Revelation sees guitarist Alexandr Pavlov matching Roine Stolt lick for lick, sparring nicely with Kalugin’s keys. Magic Moment showcases Zaskharova’s vocals – she has a fantastic range, from the bombastic to the hauntingly fragile, which complements the music perfectly. She is for my money simply one of the best female singers working in prog today.

Silent Anger [Part 2] is another instrumental, a slightly more subdued affair with some wonderfully fluid soloing from Pavlov. Swirling organ heralds the start of the title track, before a bluesy guitar break gives way to Crimson-esque sax.

Searching For Love would fit in on any Roine Stolt solo or early Flower Kings album with its jazzy mid-section and segue into the first of the album’s ‘epics’ – the nigh on 14 minute long keyboard-driven instrumental Carpathians.

Ode To A New Life is another instrumental piece, this time more upbeat with guitar and keyboard duelling and a massively catchy riff – great stuff.

The 2 minute–ish Kingfisher & Dragonflies [Part 2] is a meandering, acoustic piece that serves as an entrée to the album’s true ‘epic’, the 22 minute five piece suite that is Mystery.

Zakharova makes a welcome return, over plaintive violin, before the song begins to flex its symphonic muscles across twenty jaw-droppingly good minutes. Kalugin takes on vocal duties again before letting loose with the synths. There are improvisational guitar bits, accordion bits, orchestral bits, Celtic bits, Hammond bits, twiddly bits, hard bits, soft bits. A veritable smorgasbord of prog in fact.

This is a fantastic album, by a supremely talented musician who has crafted a sublime piece of symphonic prog inspired particularly by Camel and referencing the Scandinavian school but which puts its own cultural and spatial stamp on the genre.

Conclusion: 8 out of 10

BRIAN WATSON

Karfagen - 7

Karfagen - 7
Year of Release: 2015
Time: 67:29
Links:
Track List:
Seven Gates (28:27), Now and Ever (6:36), Hopeless Dreamer (7:36), Alight Again (9:25), Seven Gates (edited version) (15:25)

The cover screams prog, it's very reminiscent of some of the earlier Pendragon albums' artwork. With one exception, and that's the font, which is very difficult to make out. If you know the band already, no problem, if you don't, it's a struggle to make it out.

The band is a project of Ukrainian multi-instrumentalist Antony Kalugin, who sings and provides keyboards, programming and percussion, and a host of guest musicians.

Depending upon the point of view, this is five tracks, or four plus a bonus - strangely an edited version of the opener.

Seven Gates, the opener, starts off slowly, as you can with a 28-minute piece. When it does kick off, it's a bit of a stuttering affair in a decidedly neo-prog vein.

The track has an interesting theme, with one movement that starts out sounding oriental before transforming to an almost Parisian accordion. Then it goes back to flute and guitar. It's not aggressive rock, much more laid back.

Anyone who has the superb Swedish band Tribute's epic album New Views will find something similar here. It's a bit Steve Hackett, or perhaps even Mike Oldfield at times. The quieter keyboard moments sometimes evoke Vangelis. However, it works. While long, it's not particularly an epic because it lacks a bit of cohesion, but it's a plesant piece of prog nonetheless.

Now and Ever is quieter, with David Gilmour-like vocals at times. It's melodic, with some good guitar work. Hopeless Dreamer is as much pop as it is prog. It's a little on the more pop Pink Floyd side. Alight Again is much more sedate, and quite beautiful.

The 15-minute edited version of the first track is a bit of a strange addition, and seems to serve little purpose. That it can be edited to 15 minutes says something about the 28-minute version. It's hard to see how Supper's Ready or Nine Feet Underground could have appeared on albums in a long and short form, for example.

It's a very good album, well worked, impressive musically, and with plenty of musical influences. But, for all that, it's not quite outstanding. It's worth a listen for lovers of classy neo-prog with some pop leanings. It never gets a hard edge, but then nor did bands like Tribute or the Alan Parsons Project. On the bright side, to be mentioned in the same arena as Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons, is pretty decent. And, after a few listens, the warmth grows.

So while it's not at the upper echelons, it certainly has plenty to enjoy, and there's not a bad track on the album. well worth a listen, but not destined to become a backbone of any collection.

Conclusion:
Jim Cornall: 7 out of 10

Karfagen - Spektra

Karfagen - Spektra
Year of Release: 2016
Time: 63:07
Links:
Track List:
Phase 1: Spektra (7:11), Troy (3:33), Transaleatorica II (2:34), Terra Incognita (3:14), Celebration (3:50), Homonymous (Part 1) (2:30), Angel Tears (1:27), Phase 2: Olympia (Quadrology) (21:30), Zeus (6:13), Dionis (4:41), Poseidon (5:15), Aurora (5:21), Homonymous (Part 2) (2:35), Phase 3: Dios Pyros (2:56), Natural Charm (5:36), Eye Witness (1:38), Juggler And The Cloud (Studio Live) (4:31)

Anthony Kalugin, keyboard wizard and composer par excellence returns to the fore with his eighth album under the banner of Karfagen. Apart from his work with Karfagen he plays parts in Sunchild, Hoggwash and Akko as well. Some of the previous albums by Karfagen have had reviews here on DPRP; all of them had relatively nice ratings. If your favourite offering of progressive rock has its base in the 1980s, then this may very well be an album that soothes a thirst for going back to that era.

Anthony Kalugin is a very bright composer, and the way he manages to set the controls of this album somewhere in the 1980s, while firmly having the sound rooted in today, shows just how good he is at his métier. Poppy elements, that would not have been seen to be out of place in the 80s chart singles by any New Romantic band, are mixed with the epic.

Special mention also to the sublime guitar solos and parts by Max Velychko, who really co-stars next to Anthony on this record. His playing can be dark and moody. He can place playful accents on tracks or shine in emotionally-laden solo spots. When you hear Max playing the acoustic intro to Troy, his solo in the opening track or when you hear him rip through the poppy shredfest that is Zeus, you realise that he can hold his own in any field of great guitarists.

What Anthony has created is an album that dares combine an 80s pop feel and sound, with songwriting that clearly stems from the domain of progressive rock, especially Genesis after Peter Gabriel's departure, Camel and *Steve Hackett's solo material. The album feels like a musical guide to an aural landscape. And in creating that landscape, Karfagen (or should we say Anthony) guides us with seemingly no limits as to how the band expresses itself. The aforementioned Zeus goes to show that combining pop and heaviness does work. Anthony Kalugin has surrounded himself with an amazing array of guest musicians, with three guests appearing on drums and two bass players, plus basson, violin, flute, grand piano and alto sax.

Sometimes the music wouldn't seem out of place in a movie like The Never Ending Story, yet the way the tracks weave their own path through the album's three different phases, is just one of its assets. The Olympia quadrology that opens up the second phase is one of the standout parts on the album.

This is an album that easily nests itself in your ears and heart. It may not be groundshaking in its sound, but it makes for very pleasant listening. Just let yourself be surprised by this album of many colours.

show video
Conclusions:
Marcel Hartenberg: 8 out of 10

I highly recommend this band to anyone on this thread as I'm sure you'd appreciate the contents of any of their CDs.

1 hour ago, patjoy said:

Here's the 2019 Prog Mag best of list.........

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-prog-magazine-writers-albums-of-2019

I only have a few of those as I am slightly averse to anything too angular or discordant (which some of those bands are) but as the article states, 2019 was a very good year for prog considering how many great releases didn't make the cut, despite being very good in their own right.

Posted (edited)

Seeing we're all recovering after last night, here's what's been playing / still to play up here:

(The Greek looking guy with the lyre is Big Big Train)

Some seriously good music amongst this little batch!

ast.jpg

bbt.jpg

db.jpg

ds.jpg

huis.jpg

igo.jpg

nm.jpg

rpwl.jpg

sop.jpg

tmt.jpg

Edited by progladyte

Posted (edited)

Well after my early morning chores, here's what's on today's playlist:

First one is Brighteye Brison's 5th album, 5th one is Mad Fellaz's 3rd offering from Italy and the final disc is from United Progressive Fraternity. The rest have legible titles.

All of the music from these bands is pretty accessible. They have a huge following overseas so if you wanted to dip your toes into something new and untested, any of these bands above should fit the bill quite nicely.

bb.jpg

fc.jpg

izz.jpg

kar.jpg

mf.jpg

mp1.jpg

mys.jpg

ns.jpg

sr.jpg

tfk.jpg

upf.jpg

Edited by progladyte

Hi Proggers,

ELO, From Out Of Nowhere, released about 5 weeks ago.

ELO.jpg.4de79e848fc24e8e0347dfede8ec3cff.jpg

JJ

Extremely sad news.....very shocked!

What a bummer. I'm really overwhelmed about this as I considered Neil to be one of the best drummers in rock music's history.

As a former drummer myself, I can assure you his technique and capabilities were almost beyond belief. I was always blown away by his thunder and mayhem at every concert I watched. (I have a few Rush DVDs).

We will no longer miss his live performances since his retirement a few years ago but please pay homage to a man with few equals.

Neil, you really were that good!

RIP man and thank you very deeply for some seriously great music during the 44 years you were the skins man for Rush!

N.P.

220px-RushinRioDVD.jpg

Totally gobsmacked!

I grew up with Rush.

This is so sad. Neil Peart was not only one of the greatest drummers, but an excellent lyricist and performer.
I followed the band from debut album forward. Neil joined for the second album and tour " FLY BY NIGHT ". As a percussionist, he was pretty well perfect from day one. As a writer, he started with sci-fi influenced epics, progressing through to perceptive and informed lyrics reflecting his developing world view and his inner world.
Probably the best lyric, in meaning and poetics, is " AVAILABLE LIGHT " , oddly, one of the songs RUSH seldom performed. A deep cut, criminally overlooked.
His life was torn apart following the death of his young daughter , Selena in a MCA shortly after waving goodbye to her. Months later, his partner Jackie died as well, basically fading away, never surmounting the grief.
Neil withdrew from the world, resigned from RUSH, and took off on his motorbike to seek some understanding and sense in his world.
Anyone who has lost a soul mate or child understands the ongoing trauma of the event. He documented those years in the brutally honest memoir " GHOST RIDER " (2002), a piece of writing I have drawn upon myself these last months.
I had the great fortune to hear RUSH on the " PERMANENT WAVE " tour at the COW PALACE in San Francisco in 1980. This was before the stage show, lights and the props. Just three brilliant musicians going for it, smiles plastered across their faces as they egged each other on. Pinning it all down, THE PROFESSOR , never raising a sweat.
For newbies, may I suggest googling any live film of the band tearing into " YYZ " - all are good, but the RIO concert is a good start.

One can only feel for Lerxst and Geddy, losing a friend after 40+ years.
Respect.

That is very sad. I didn't know this.

Been through something similar.

The grief is immeasurable. I hope he is at peace now.

RIP Neil.

14 hours ago, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

This is so sad. Neil Peart was not only one of the greatest drummers, but an excellent lyricist and performer.
I followed the band from debut album forward. Neil joined for the second album and tour " FLY BY NIGHT ". As a percussionist, he was pretty well perfect from day one. As a writer, he started with sci-fi influenced epics, progressing through to perceptive and informed lyrics reflecting his developing world view and his inner world.
Probably the best lyric, in meaning and poetics, is " AVAILABLE LIGHT " , oddly, one of the songs RUSH seldom performed. A deep cut, criminally overlooked.
His life was torn apart following the death of his young daughter , Selena in a MCA shortly after waving goodbye to her. Months later, his partner Jackie died as well, basically fading away, never surmounting the grief.
Neil withdrew from the world, resigned from RUSH, and took off on his motorbike to seek some understanding and sense in his world.
Anyone who has lost a soul mate or child understands the ongoing trauma of the event. He documented those years in the brutally honest memoir " GHOST RIDER " (2002), a piece of writing I have drawn upon myself these last months.
I had the great fortune to hear RUSH on the " PERMANENT WAVE " tour at the COW PALACE in San Francisco in 1980. This was before the stage show, lights and the props. Just three brilliant musicians going for it, smiles plastered across their faces as they egged each other on. Pinning it all down, THE PROFESSOR , never raising a sweat.
For newbies, may I suggest googling any live film of the band tearing into " YYZ " - all are good, but the RIO concert is a good start.

One can only feel for Lerxst and Geddy, losing a friend after 40+ years.
Respect.

Great to hear from you again Dave!

You have been sadly missed from this fantastic thread that you, Sir, so very kindly started in 2012 and despite all the initial nay-sayers.

I am about to send out a series of messages to a few of the guys who frequent this thread to see if we can't fire up some more momentum and keep things going.

I know things have been a bit hard for many people lately but let's still share our favourite passion and wisdom.

Prog on!

Hi All,

Pendragon, The Masquerade Overture, a band that didn't get the kudos that they deserved.

Pendragon.jpg.da9654e73e8cb5083696a8dac128d384.jpg

JJ

Great band

47 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Pendragon, The Masquerade Overture, a band that didn't get the kudos that they deserved.

Pendragon.jpg.da9654e73e8cb5083696a8dac128d384.jpg

JJ

Agreed JJ!  One of my favourite British Neo / Prog bands after Genesis lost their way

Hi Proggers,

Cellar Darling, The Spell

Cellar.jpg.d38ec2d160ac8b41fce7e3944bf4da81.jpg

JJ

Hi Proggers,

The Black Codex Episodes 14-26 by Christiaan Bruin, from the Netherlands. Part of the 52 part epic he wrote and performed, a track per week for a year, to finish with 8 CDs and over 7 hours of music.

1782032847_BlackCodex.jpg.7f77767ca96c5524cc9687fcedc46377.jpg

JJ