Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

This is posted to provide a home base for lovers of Progressive / ProgRock to air their love and devotion.

PROG has become a dirty word in some areas, but it as at it's most pervasive and influential era ever. The Euro PROG scene is vast and throws up bands from the most obscure places. The American flag is flown high by the likes of Dream Theatre, the U.K. , the birthplace of all that is PROG,is nurturing Porcupine Tree and a wealth of reforming vintage bands.

There is even a brilliant magazine dedicated to the genre .

All genres bleed at the edges, so let's see what gets name checked. if your passion is for a ripping Krumhorn solo, if you get a chubby listening to Siberian Khatru, if you drift to Hamburger Concerto, let your freak flag fly!

Naysayers can stay home for the day.

• Like 4

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but out of certain sentimental reasons I love this band's debut... I always wondered how do people without any historical connection to it find it...

Jan, I like it. There is a good feel and groove to it. Love the hammond organ. Then again as I like my prog this is right down my alley.

Is it hard to get?

ZM, you're talking to one of the biggest fans of prog in the whole galaxy here amigo.

I live and breathe this stuff every waking hour of the day.

There's hardly a prog band I haven't heard of or have collected although these days it's getting hard to keep up with many of the newer, lesser known Euro bands.

I know Patjoy, Steve Batty and Emsebee are big prog fans as well but there are quite a few of us here on SNA that delve into this intriguing genre.

Some people pass on this style of music as being too self indulgent etc but I couldn't give a toss what they think. It works for me and has done for over 40 years so why would I not persevere with it.

Here's a link to what sort of stuff is on my radar.

http://rateyourmusic.com/~progladyte

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 3

I can't help it, I equate Prog Rock with the 1970s when more bad music was made than in almost any other decade in history. I also immediately think of the quintessential Prog Rock bands - Yes and ELP :(:sorry: The 1970s, especially the second half of the 1970s, has a lot to answer for. MTV, Fusion (with some exceptions), Disco, Prog Rock, ABBA, The Partridge Family, John Farnham.

I am probably the only person I know who lived through the era as a music fan and didn't own a single Yes or ELO album.

• Like 2

I can't help it, I equate Prog Rock with the 1970s when more bad music was made than in almost any other decade in history. I also immediately think of the quintessential Prog Rock bands - Yes and ELP :(:sorry: The 1970s, especially the second half of the 1970s, has a lot to answer for. MTV, Fusion (with some exceptions), Disco, Prog Rock, ABBA, The Partridge Family, John Farnham.

I am probably the only person I know who lived through the era as a music fan and didn't own a single Yes or ELO album.

What???...............did you miss the '80s ????? :nana

• Like 1

ZM, you've inspired me to have a Pink Floyd evening. Currently playing the Pulse album. DSOtM sounds pretty darned good, but SQ of some of tracks on side one not so good.

Have memories of many of the bigger UK prog bands of the 70s. Saw quite a few live, and believe it or not I actually remember the 70s!!! Gasp ... Obviously didn't take ENOUGH of the mind-enhancing goodies that were doing the rounds then. Just enough to have some 'interesting' experiences!

Brumby ... Get back in your box ... Who said you could come out??

• Like 1

Did you mean to say that more 'bad' music was made in the 70s, or bad prog. music was made in the 70s?

brumby, you've got me stumped. The period of approx 1967 - 1975 produced some of the best music imho. Things certainly started deteriorate in the second half of the 70s. As for the 80s don't go there.

Anyway, back to the subject matter. Big fan of most of the music that Steven Wilson puts out. His recordings are always A1 which is a bonus.

• Like 1

What???...............did you miss the '80s ????? :nana

The 80s had the most OVER-PRODUCED sound for almost EVERY album that came out during that time!!

Shame on the 80s technology (which at the time was 'cutting edge')!

The early 70s were terrific, so much great music came out of those few years. Things did start going off the rails in the late 70s. No doubt some will point to punk and new wave as a progression, but that was really just old-fashioned rock and roll dressed up a bit differently. Things got worse in the 80s with all those awful 'bad haircut' bands, and has just been going downhill ever since. Now we have to endure rap, hip-hop and programmed beats in just about everything. No wonder my musical tastes have taken a sharp turn and gone off in different directions these days.

Now, I was a great fan of prog rock in the early 70s, along with good old blues based rock. So, along with Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Free etc, I also listened to a lot of Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Focus (were they prog?) and, of course, Gryphon (did I mention them before somewhere? :) ). At the time, I thought of prog rock in terms of experimentation and innovation, and for a time it seemed like the way forward. However, after a while it seemed like things had become somewhat stagnant and formulaic. At the time, Yes were probably my favourite prog band (until I discovered Gryphon). I really liked 'The Yes Album, 'Fragile' and 'Close To The Edge', and still do. However, when I rushed out to hear 'Tales From Topographic Oceans', I remember feeling quite underwhelmed by it. That was when I started to look in different directions, but still I didn't buy all the marketing hype about punk being the way forward and prog bands being dinosaurs.

Where am I going with this? I'm not sure. I think what I'm trying to say, in a rambling sort of way, is that I think that it is unfortunate that we tend to pigeonhole everything into genres. That is what bothers me a bit about about modern prog rock. If prog rock has just become a label which means bands are meant to look and play in a certain expected way, then it is not progressive. True progressive music doesn't constrict itself to labels and genres.

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 3

I do like what you said emesbee, but there is no escaping labels!

Punk IS punk, Blues ARE the blues, Rap IS rap, etc etc those and some other genres ARE just what they are, that's why you either love em or you don't .

Prog is just another term to define 'anything that doesn't conform o the straight rock style', or 'anything goes' type of music. Little regard for MELODY, which I rate as the biggest factor in 'listenable' music.

True music (I agree) doesn't constrict itself to 'genres'. BUT when you hear 'prog' rock, punk, rap, hip-hop, classical, metal, you cannot escape the fact that all those (and more genres), fit very well into their own catagories!

True 'rock' with 'melody' is the most universal form of music IMO. That's where it can NOT be catagorised because it fits 'numerous' genres.

Very thoughtful comments , and I agree in many ways. PROG became a dirty word, and was relegated to the margins for so long. Does anyone remember the priceless THE YOUNG ONES episode when hippy Neil had to defend MARILLION ( who should be beatified IMHO) to the rest of his flatmates. That really set the agenda for the next two decades. But out in the margins, in the privacy of their own rooms, thousands of Progsters were keeping the flame burning.

It is for them/ us I thought this thread might be liberating.

So, emesbee thanks for your input.

P.S - yes FOCUS were most definitely Progressive.

Also, a big shout out to one of Americas best, but almost unknown experimental PROG outfits - DJAM KARET. Google THE SHAMAN DESCENDS for starters.

Edited by Zen Mister
  • Like 1

Ah, I think you've hit on a point there surfpurple. That often neglected element of music, melody! And there is certainly melody in a lot of what we call prog rock. If you don't believe me, I implore you to have a listen to some Gryphon. 'Red Queen To Gryphon Three' is probably a good place to start. (Actually, I implore everyone to listen to Gryphon! ;) )

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 2

Focus, one of the LOUDEST bands I EVER heard (apart from Tony Williams Lifetime at same venue!). Brilliant band.

Venue was a small club in Wardour St in London's West End, forgotten name of place now. About same size as Ronny Scott's ... what a real estate agent would call 'intimate'!

I saw many good progressive bands evry Sunday at the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm. Saw Yes and Pink Floyd (seperate gigs) at the legendary Rainbow Theatre (although acoustics at back of stalls was woeful!)

I will never forgive myself for getting on a bus, at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970, hearing Jimi Hendrix in the distance playing Star Spangled Banner from the stage. No one knew he'd be dead 2 weeks later! I'd celebrated (a bit too vigorously) my birthday the day before and I was VERY hung over.

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 1

In one word wow, what the ***k is all this :)

Well done for trying Kunal. That is Lightning Bolt. I grew up listening to my Dad's prog so artists that still embody what was cool about prog IMO - like long songs that 'go places', mad skills and a sense of adventure - really appeal. Although Lightning Bolt & Ruins (Japanese guys) certainly carry a DIY punk aesthetic the audacity of their compositions and prodigious skills place them as heirs to the Prog tradition.

Go on guys - watch my vids. Should Prog be about new and crazy ideas?

• Like 1