Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

6 hours ago, Batty said:

Ooh, a parcel arrived today.

IMG_0082.thumb.JPG.6e6eeb4805effe016b0ea974fc716d84.JPG

Nice one Steve!

I would expect the guys on the prog thread would love to hear your thoughts on their new release/s, both initially and after a few spins.

Over to you amigo!

• Like 2

Well, I put the abridged version on (CD) in the background whilst messing around on the PC.

OK, I played it on the PC, Topping D10 DAC, Topping TP20 mk 2 amp and Wharfedale full range speakers.

In 2 minds as yet, I did get all the way through, no skipping :).

I will definitely have a few more listens interspersed with the full vinyl version.

• Like 3

On 11/03/2021 at 6:22 PM, ZEN MISTER said:

I notice the STEVE HACKETT tour is still being listed for shows late May.

The Palais in Melbourne, Enmore in Sydney and one in NZ.

Has anyone booked for the Palais show yet?

I think I may attend.

Billy

Those of us who purchased tickets for his 2020 tour automatically transfer to this year. I would imagine that any free seating would depend upon cancellations by the original ticket holders, or new performances.

How did you get on?

• Like 1

@JukKluk2, we scored 2 prime seats. Surprised at the lack of interest here. Anyone who has enjoyed any of the series of tour videos knows these are magnificent shows. Always a mix of the GENESIS stuff he played on, and solo work. AND NO F<£%#^*+ Dancers!!!.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ZEN MISTER said:

@JukKluk2, we scored 2 prime seats. Surprised at the lack of interest here. Anyone who has enjoyed any of the series of tour videos knows these are magnificent shows. Always a mix of the GENESIS stuff he played on, and solo work. AND NO F<£%#^*+ Dancers!!!.

I would have went to the Brisbane session on 21st May but I don’t like the seating positions available 

• Like 1

Alrighty, I'm going to put this in the prog thread because come on.. this is peak prog. 

KING GIZZARD AND THE LIZZARD WIZZARD - POLYGONDWANALAND

Melbournes least predictable band, releasing albums in every style from phych rock to folk to stoner jazz to thrash metal, with many songs across many albums containing segments of the overarching gizzverse story, this album being almost entirely part of that story.

The band released this album (the fourth of their 5 full length albums released in 2017 alone) under an open creative commons licence, allowing anybody to press and sell their own version of this album. many record labels got their start thanks to this gesture. you can download the album entirely for free from the band or one of the literally hundreds of labels that made their own versions of it.

20210320_190814.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GaryT said:

Alrighty, I'm going to put this in the prog thread because come on.. this is peak prog. 

KING GIZZARD AND THE LIZZARD WIZZARD - POLYGONDWANALAND

Melbournes least predictable band, releasing albums in every style from phych rock to folk to stoner jazz to thrash metal, with many songs across many albums containing segments of the overarching gizzverse story, this album being almost entirely part of that story.

The band released this album (the fourth of their 5 full length albums released in 2017 alone) under an open creative commons licence, allowing anybody to press and sell their own version of this album. many record labels got their start thanks to this gesture. you can download the album entirely for free from the band or one of the literally hundreds of labels that made their own versions of it.

20210320_190814.jpg

There's a "Live in Melbourne '21" out via Bandcamp today, if you're interested. Downloads in 48/24 resolution. Recorded in February in..................no, I'll leave it up to you to find out.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2021 at 2:04 PM, Full Range said:

I would have went to the Brisbane session on 21st May but I don’t like the seating positions available 

You'll only end up wishing that you had gone if it turns out that he never comes to Oz again. Can you really take that chance?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

There's a "Live in Melbourne '21" out via Bandcamp today, if you're interested. Downloads in 48/24 resolution. Recorded in February in..................no, I'll leave it up to you to find out.

watched the youtube premiere this morning!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

You'll only end up wishing that you had gone if it turns out that he never comes to Oz again. Can you really take that chance?

Have a feeling that I will regret it 
However I will also be working on that night  

And I will be working close - about 6 streets away 

How cruel is that 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Have a feeling that I will regret it 
However I will also be working on that night  

And I will be working close - about 6 streets away 

How cruel is that 

I feel you'll need a long toilet break on that night. Bring yer runners.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those that don't know this guy, Jordan Rudess is the keyboard maestro for Dream Theatre.

If you play this whole clip all the way through and appreciate his immense talent, virtuosity and versatility, you'll also appreciate why he has become one of my favourite keyboard players of all time. There are literally no limits to what he can play and it shows incredibly well within the few minutes of this excellent clip

Enjoy!

This was also posted on the Youtube thread

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Have been returning to this excellent album by Comedy of Errors.

The track, "Prelude, Riff & Fugue" is just so damned catchy with some truly excellent guitar that just hits that sweet spot.

The album is called Disobey and is pretty highly rated on RYM at 3.61 / 5.00 so certainly not a wasted effort.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This excellent band from NZ met their  fate by relocating to Sydney rather than Melbourne. They are such a Melbourne vibe band it still puzzles me...

One major regret for me is to have never caught them live.

Sole album CLOCKWORK REVENGE  is really every bit as good as the first few GENESIS or MARILLION albums.

As a band, they sit midway between GENESIS, MARILLION ( FISH era) and debut SPLIT ENZ.

As a vocal, the composers of each track took the lead vocal, and the harmonies on this track capped by that soaring high note before the middle eight still gives me goosebumps.

After being out of print for decades, it was reissued in 2020, but good luck finding it. I am currently trying to source from NZ retailers.

Billy

5182A35B-F780-4D50-BB8E-871360D15686.jpeg

• Like 4

Well guys, after 12 months in lock down, border closures, sick parents and other delays, we have finally approached our departure day tomorrow for a 4 month trip into North Qld, then Arnhem Land in N.T. hoping to catch a Barra or 5. We had a Carafan fitted to the van which forces air out and which we are told is the only device to keep red dust out. Fingers crossed.

We did a 15 month trip around the block in 2018-2019 and absolutely loved the whole experience but think this time around, with a 70% increase in caravan registrations, every man and his dog will also be on the road looking for that perfect spot to camp up for a night or 3.

Internet and mobile phone coverage will be patchy where we are headed so it may be a while before I can log into SNA for a regular fix but I have taken a few terabytes of music with us so should be right for choice. Also have a lot of Kindle material to read, some cryptic crosswords and the odd Sudoku so should be able to entertain the brain while not fishing.

My youngest son and his bride are still living with us in their end of the house so hopefully, he can keep an eye on things and handle any maintenance issues during our absence.

Anywho lads, keep up the great work and I'll drop in from time to time.

Cheers

Greg

(Also posted in the Chill Out Room Thread).

• Like 3

Have a “Safe and new experienced filled “ journey @progladyte

If I was to do a similar trip I would find a way to buy some artworks that catch my eye along the way 

On my bucket list is to visit Utopia near Alice Springs to search out some artworks 

• Like 1

Good grief @progladyte, doing the pan- state thing already ! You haven’t seen all of Gympie yet.

Golden rules for safe and fulfilling travel:

1/ Extra hard wearing undies.

2/ 24 packs of Cuppa-Noodles.

3/ A good torch.

4/ Lomotil.

5/ A decent feather duster.

Stay well Greg and keep your eyes on the borders.

Billy ????

• Like 2

Hi Greg.

Have a fantastic time buddy.... jealous. Think Barra like a bit of prog. Better than burley, l heard.

Hope the recent C19 breakout in Brizzy hasnt put the mockers on it. Though you are going way north and can probably bypass it?

Enjoy.

Ken.

• Like 1