Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

On 02/03/2021 at 11:55 AM, lordvader82 said:

?
Do you get any more over the ultimate vs buying the two sets individually?
Just looking at the price, and am having an irrational debate with myself

I just thought it'd be nice to have the whole shebang in one packet, looks good in the collection.

Postage was the killer unfortunately, but I'm happy with the purchase. Artwork looks nice also.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

Hi All,

Kansas, The Absence Of Presence. Everything that the Transatlantic album, The Absolute Universe was not, immediately took my attention, excellent musicianship, enthusiasm ++ 

518998114_KansasTheAbsenceOfPresence.jpg.9634184fa1809fa53ed54d4e84dcc37b.jpg

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 4

Here's a few reviews about the new Transatlantic album for anyone interested in buying it.

This is for the abridged version

The Idea of a Funny Story: How to milk some dollars in these hard times?

The Fact: From January 2019 to February 2021, this is the number of releases of Roine Stolt (4 albums), Neal Morse (6 albums, 3 Live, 1 Cover Album) & Mike Portnoy (6 Albums, 3 Live, 2 Cover Albums).

The Project: “And if we use immediately some of the various alternate recordings that usually important bands (like Transatlantic are) make during the recording process to try some experiments, maybe because not entirely convinced of certain original idea, or to offer later as future bonus material for deluxe editions, alternative version, etc... moreover that way, also Mike is happy he can sing a bit more & prognerds can enjoy the pleasure with a "triple" album in they greedy hands?”

The Conclusion: Things made that way can be questionable for someone, but the decision to publish a professional & coherent alternative version like this one offers something different for real: 30 minutes of “fat material” has been removed, making the listening more fluid, dynamic & memorable, with the impression that the most sacrificed parts are the more Flower Kings oriented... with the result that the album sounds more stylistically compact, straightly easy-listening, openly melodic yet still complex & rich of instrumental parts.

Anyway, irony aside, I think that both editions are mandatory for serious progheads, but if i’m obliged to decide what represent better my tastes, i’ll go for the abridged version that sounds more like The Neal Morse Band do (that i prefer to the current Flower Kings).

Best Track: The Greatest Story Never Ends
Published
This is the superior version of the record. If you're a huge fan obviously you'll want to listen to both, but tightening up the album improves the compositional quality by a notable margin. The record is certainly no less "prog" by being shorter (it’s still an hour-long suite of music after all). But it is more cohesive and focused, cutting out extraneous tangents and tightening up the songwriting. The majority of alterations made to this version benefitted from the additional time the band had to work on it. The handful of alternate melodies and vocals are better and I think the lyrics work better too since the allusions to the 2020 lockdowns help the album feel like it's about something relatable rather than just being full of generic prog-isms. But regardless of which version you prefer, kudos to the band for such a fun and unique creative experiment.
Published
When I look at the cover of this album, I instantly knew what this was going to sound like and for nearly 2 and a half hours you will get exactly that symphonic rock that has every single progressive rock trope in the book. From overly flashy guitar solos, bombastic drums, and classical orchestration that is grand/monumental feeling. For a triple concept album, there is not enough here to keep you engaged with the content because after a while everything starts to bleed the same and many songs really do sound like each other.
Published
Their best album in many many years. I mean it's nothing groundbreaking, it just contains more sweet melodies that Kaleidoscope and especially Whirlwind lacked severely. I give 4,5 to both versions of album, also in my opinion the differences between this and extended version are significant enough to justify buying both versions
Published
If all group members didn’t share vocal part this album would feel 100% like s solo Neal Morse project. It means Morse utilizes the same ideas and approach once again. More and more of the same. It’s not bad because he can provide good songwriting but I feel that this time around I get tired.

I've given this 3 spins so far and have enjoyed it to a degree but I'm still waiting for that killer hook that I fear might be absent this time around. The songwriting is pretty decent but it's a play by the numbers affair so far and the band ain't taking too many chances with it. For my money, if you like to hear Morse and Portnoy, then Flying Colors offers a lot of quality toons plus you get to hear Steve Morse and the brilliant vocals of Casey McPherson.

• Like 3

Time for some Hungarian prog.

I wonder how many Australians ever got to hear this excellent band.

Their best album IMHO was "200 Years After The Last War" featuring a near 20 minute epic of the same name.

This goes down so well with a few brown lemonades.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, progladyte said:

wonder how many Australians ever got to hear this excellent band.

Their best album IMHO was "200 Years After The Last War" featuring a near 20 minute epic of the same name.

I have that release in vinyl 

It really is a great album ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, progladyte said:

Their best album in many many years. I mean it's nothing groundbreaking, it just contains more sweet melodies that Kaleidoscope and especially Whirlwind lacked severely. I give 4,5 to both versions of album, also in my opinion the differences between this and extended version are significant enough to justify buying both versions

And here I was thinking The Whirlwind is Transatlantic's best. Well... there you go...

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

I notice the STEVE HACKETT tour is still being listed for shows late May.

The Palais in Melbourne, Enmore in Sydney and one in NZ.

Has anyone booked for the Palais show yet?

I think I may attend.

Billy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZEN MISTER said:

I notice the STEVE HACKETT tour is still being listed for shows late May.

The Palais in Melbourne, Enmore in Sydney and one in NZ.

Has anyone booked for the Palais show yet?

I think I may attend.

Billy

I'm so up for it Billy!! :thumb:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ZEN MISTER said:

Good man. I’ll have a poke around on Ticketmaster tomorrow ( should be an adventure, not very good at this stuff but will have a go and keep you posted).

VIP meet and greet package, that would suit us best! ?

• Like 2

Breaking out a classic since its the first time in a while I get to wind up the volume knob.

Also, it's my first time listening to this album on the newer speakers.

YES - Tales from Topographic Oceans

My favourite Yes Album, This is a really clean Japanese release that I'm always hearing new details from. 

Drink pairing for this is usually scotch, but tonight something different, a coffee negroni. Yea I was sceptical too, but I might have a new favourite.

20210311_185757.jpg

• Like 7

nice choice, I'm on experimental cocktails because my wine cabinet is full of fancy stuff I cant bring myself to open and cheap stuff I also don't want to open!

I'll be saved by a new delivery from the Whiskey club tomorrow. thank god, proper sustenance for the weekend.

• Like 2

Maudlin of the Well - Part the Second.

Fantastic prog / art rock album that not enough people listen to. Probably the best sounding album of the all of the Maudlin/Kayo Dot projects.

20210311_203602.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

nice choice, I'm on experimental cocktails because my wine cabinet is full of fancy stuff I cant bring myself to open and cheap stuff I also don't want to open!

I'll be saved by a new delivery from the Whiskey club tomorrow. thank god, proper sustenance for the weekend.

Mate. Just send me over your undrinkable cheap stuff. I'm a West Aussie...we drink anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Batty said:

Kansas, the best of. Is it Prog? I think so.

Absolutely prog. And one of THE best to do it so well for so many great albums. Despite losing their way a little mid career, their latest album is a cracker.

• Like 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DGM_(band)

Anyone know much about DGM - Italian Prog band.

I see revered (apparently) guitarist from DGM Simone Mularoni has been working via the internet with Geoff Tate in internet band Sweet Oblivion.     I managed to locate 2 DGM Cd's and the 1st SO Cd but haven't had a chance to listen yet.    A 2nd SO CD is out next week.

Frontiers Records founder Serafino Perugino is always mixing and matching muso's and he got Tate and Mularoni together.  

Any thoughts Progites?

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 2

@cazzesman

Here's my take on DGM.

Very competent musicians who really hit their stride with the latter part of their career.

Earlier albums showed promise but then never really developed more than an average level of quality, enjoyment or memorability.

As shown, their best offerings are definitely the last 6 albums which is not often the norm as bands normally really shine for the earlier part of their careers, then taper off into mediocrity / oblivion.

I still don't have their last 3 albums but will rectify that when time allows.

If you enjoy good clean melodic power / progressive metal similar to Symphony X or Dream Theatre, this band should be right up yer cul-de-sac.

dgm.JPG

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3