Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

6 hours ago, Full Range said:

Great list @progladyte 

I have quite a few from that list and will slowly look and try to listen to the ones I don’t have ?

Every progster should have the majority of these titles Paul. ?

Of course, additional titles by the same band will also increase your street cred levels.........

Just sayin'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

What ya sayin! Is brilliant Greg.

We bow to your knowledge and we all appreciate your input. Mate, your knowledge helps us all...just sayin! Thank You.

? K

Thanks Ken.

I guess having been able to actually buy a lot of these albums when they were originally released certainly helped to grow the kleckshun.

Helping you guys discover some of the gems I was privileged to find then and even today, is the least I can do to help spread the lurve...

Prog on!

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
On 17/02/2021 at 1:14 PM, ZEN MISTER said:

I have had this set on order from Amazon since last October with no luck. Took a punt on ‘Importcd ‘ in the U. S and I got it cheaper, and it turned up a week later.

Awesome set, very carefully remastered, with the live stuff, CD and DVD a real treat. The actual packaging, historical notes, etc are as good as the Tull, Yes, xtc, and Marllion sets minus the needle drops. 
‘MOVING WAVES ‘ and ‘ HAMBURGER CONCERTO ‘ remain stone cold classics, and belong in any serious progressive/ prog collection.

Billy.

777E6930-E7B7-46D2-94A6-F0664BC6C9FE.jpeg

ADBDA10C-BCD4-4127-B359-F0034580CACC.jpeg

I skipped on this one when I first saw it, as I have the main albums in "good enough" copies and the DVD material already - and the Jan Akkerman 26 CD set appeared at the same time, and I was missing "Focus in Time" and several others.

Focus 3 was the first LP, cassette (you got Anonymous 2 without changing sides!) and CD I owned, so I guess I count as a fan... and I had the US LP (sounded like it was recorded in an fully tiled late 10th century public baths!) and the Dutch/European LP and a later Italian release, surprisingly the best sounding. They all sounded different! And that CD was the only one I had that got the dreaded disc rot.

I'll have to give in, won't I?

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
On 19/02/2021 at 8:53 PM, progladyte said:

This is indeed a great band from UK. Their career was marked by some excellent music fused between a number of albums from different periods of time. Whilst none of their albums ever rated higher than a solid 3.68, only one ever dipped below the 3.00 mark at which point one would probably dismiss the album al;together.

Here's a clip of their output from 1978 to 2018.

If you have heard and enjoyed a band called Saga from Canada or to a lesser degree, Mystery (also from Canada), there is a lot to enjoy here with Magnum

magnum.JPG

I saw both Magnum and Saga live, back in the day, helped carry their equipment up two flights of stairs to the UMIST Union (as was) Large Assembly Hall. Both bands had bad nights. It was decades before I kicked myself into listening to their albums properly. My loss, both counts.

Edited by Eggcup the Dafter

2 hours ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

I skipped on this one when I first saw it, as I have the main albums in "good enough" copies and the DVD material already - and the Jan Akkerman 26 CD set appeared at the same time, and I was missing "Focus in Time" and several others.

Focus 3 was the first LP, cassette (you got Anonymous 2 without changing sides!) and CD I owned, so I guess I count as a fan... and I had the US LP (sounded like it was recorded in an fully tiled late 10th century public baths!) and the Dutch/European LP and a later Italian release, surprisingly the best sounding. They all sounded different! And that CD was the only one I had that got the dreaded disc rot.

I'll have to give in, won't I?

Mr. Daft, be careful if you are going to order this set. There was a collection a few years back, also from Red Bullet, that was known for its brickwalling. This new set has great sound, and is the definitive collection.

Billy.

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup the Dafter
4 hours ago, ZEN MISTER said:

Mr. Daft, be careful if you are going to order this set. There was a collection a few years back, also from Red Bullet, that was known for its brickwalling. This new set has great sound, and is the definitive collection.

Billy.

I picked up the Focus con Proby CD from that older set (hardly the band's high point, a couple of the instrumentals are OK) for a couple of dollars at an op-shop: I wasn't aware that the entire set had bad sound though! Thanks for the reminder.

6 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

An arrival today, Transatlantic The Absolute Universe

1623414588_TransatlanticTheAbsoluteUniverse.jpg.d182bc3b77c981168852e4b690f5b312.jpg

Mine arrived yesterday, and the abridged version also, I'm finding both of them really boring, I'm hoping it will grown on me with more listens.

Hi Proggers,

Played Transatlantic, The Absolute Universe, yesterday evening, did not find it too boring as @awayward did, but perhaps lacking some zest and sparkle, 2 songs are to me unremarkable:  "Reaching for the Sky” and “Can You Feel It", which sound like any band could have  been playing.

1623414588_TransatlanticTheAbsoluteUniverse.jpg.d182bc3b77c981168852e4b690f5b312.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers,

Played Transatlantic, The Absolute Universe, yesterday evening, did not find it too boring as @awayward did, but perhaps lacking some zest and sparkle, 2 songs are to me unremarkable:  "Reaching for the Sky” and “Can You Feel It", which sound like any band could have  been playing.

I've given this one 2 spins so far and will add a few more before deciding.

First impressions;

A little less inspiring compared to earlier albums but time will tell

Due to the talent on board I feel a little bit short changed as I am not hearing anything being played out of their comfort zone. As said before, no zest or sparkle.....

• Like 3

On 25/02/2021 at 12:30 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

An arrival today, Transatlantic The Absolute Universe

I did find the extended version to be more engaging than the abridged version. But then again, it needs a few more listens. But I think I like it better than Kaleidoscope.

Missing their cover songs though!

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

Bit of a lazy day today so some prog was in order.

This was / is the play list for today and the rest of tonight

You might know some of them.

The Niacin is killer - see who's playing

Runrig is for anyone into Clannad / Iona / Magenta / Karnatake / - seriously good Celtic rock / folk

Ars Nova - man these beitches can play

Jan Hammer - what an album!

Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)

Guy Manning - (The Tangent / United Progressive Fraternity / Damanek / Parallel or 90 Degrees

Seriously talented but totally unknown progster from UK.

Dave Bainridge (Iona)

manning.jpg

mniacin.jpg

erik norlander.jpg

dave bainbridge 1.jpg

bx1.jpg

runrig.jpg

silhouette.jpg

ars nova.jpg

mb4.jpg

iona.jpg

jan hammer.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, progladyte said:

Bit of a lazy day today so some prog was in order.

This was / is the play list for today and the rest of tonight

You might know some of them.

The Niacin is killer - see who's playing

Runrig is for anyone into Clannad / Iona / Magenta / Karnatake / - seriously good Celtic rock / folk

Ars Nova - man these beitches can play

Jan Hammer - what an album!

Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)

Guy Manning - (The Tangent / United Progressive Fraternity / Damanek / Parallel or 90 Degrees

Seriously talented but totally unknown progster from UK.

Dave Bainridge (Iona)

manning.jpg

mniacin.jpg

erik norlander.jpg

dave bainbridge 1.jpg

bx1.jpg

runrig.jpg

silhouette.jpg

ars nova.jpg

mb4.jpg

iona.jpg

jan hammer.jpg

If that lady is awaiting me in 7th hell. I'm in.?

• Like 1

On 10/02/2021 at 12:39 AM, betocool said:

And thou shalt be known as The Prophet henceforth....

IMG20210209121655.thumb.jpg.c12b86d3e2774337a2d594d1d4737d46.jpg

The Missus wants to listen to it with me, so it'll do for the weekend I guess. Looks bloody good though! We'll open our minds and see what this has to say...

Cheers,

Alberto

?
Do you get any more over the ultimate vs buying the two sets individually?
Just looking at the price, and am having an irrational debate with myself

• Like 1