Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

I came across a heap of excellent Spanish prog CDs that I haven't play for ages so I thought these needed to be heard again.  Not sure if time will allow me to hear all of them today / tonight but I'll give it a crack. You may not have heard of too many of these guys, but trust me, the music is phenomenal, almost as good as Italian prog..

got.jpg

trian.jpg

mez.jpg

engel.jpg

crack.jpg

gal.jpg

gran.jpg

ma.jpg

omni.jpg

ice.jpg

los can.jpg

kot.jpg

• Like 3

Received today (along with the new The Pineapple Theif album: posted on Vinyl Spinning Only).

This album is by prog God, Devin Townsend. Be aware it's not prog metal. Far from it; its better.

This album has Country, it has Jazz, it has Ambience, it has Blues, it has Rootsy Folk. It has American Indian flute and Indian chanting.

Is this in your collectin JJ? Just brilliant.

Even has slide guitar and the odd sax wail.  Stunning sq in fact. It has this bombastic bass thread running through out.  Pretty good pickup for my first cd of the year.

It has a femail vocalist called Che Aimee Dorval; who l have never heard of before. Stunning vocal though. You would probably like this @scuzzii. I think l saw it on Discogs. Very expensive from memory. Even the cd was hard to get. Got it from Germany. Mainly got the cd, because it has a bonus disc and a dvd. It features Morgan Agren from Frank Zappa. The flutist is a chap called Kat Epple.

Well worth a listen. You might even like it Keith @cheekyboy

Definitely has an American Country Rootsy vibe to it.

Devin Townsend: Casualties Of Cool.

16112867623936173597377866869640.jpg

Edited by needlerunner
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Received today (along with the new The Pineapple Theif album: posted on Vinyl Spinning Only).

This album is by prog God, Devin Townsend. Be aware it's not prog metal. Far from it; its better.

This album has Country, it has Jazz, it has Ambience, it has Blues, it has Rootsy Folk. It has American Indian flute and Indian chanting.

Is this in your collectin JJ? Just brilliant.

Even has slide guitar and the odd sax wail.  Stunning sq in fact. It has this bombastic bass thread running through out.  Pretty good pickup for my first cd of the year.

It has a femail vocalist called Che Aimee Dorval; who l have never heard of before. Stunning vocal though. You would probably like this @scuzzii. I think l saw it on Discogs. Very expensive from memory. Even the cd was hard to get. Got it from Germany. Mainly got the cd, because it has a bonus disc and a dvd. It features Morgan Agren from Frank Zappa. The flutist is a chap called Kat Epple.

Well worth a listen. You might even like it Keith @cheekyboy

Definitely has an American Country Rootsy vibe to it.

Devin Townsend: Casualties Of Cool.

16112867623936173597377866869640.jpg

Devin is a genius and I think just the term Prog perfectly sums him up. It took me a long time to get into his album Ki (even though I bought it on release) I'm a hardcore Devy fan. Casualties of cool  is definitely a must have for a persepctive shift. He also opened me up to open tuning on guitar. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Earlier today I received a bunch of CDs 

Mainly Prog thanks to @progladyte 

So I will go through them and post my impressions of what music was received 

First up is an Aussie band 

Aragon - Don’t Bring The Rain 

Aragon is a band from Melbourne formed in 1987 and one member has a Greek name 

s-l400.jpg

I had heard of them, but this is the first time I have sat down to listen 

My observation of this album after 4 spins 

Genre is heavy rock / Prog in nature 

Style - somewhere in between Rush and Marillion (to my ears)

The lead singer is fabulous and in full control 

The band is controlled and tight, you might even say it is dynamic 

I found the album content to be well done but a little forced

Just need to explain it here - Content  constantly goes to almost the same tempo on many tracks 

Apart from that it was enjoyable 

My track picks are 

2 Company of Wolves 

3 Solstice 

The most Prog tracks are 

The Crucifixion 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 5

Hi All,

An arrival yesterday that was purchased in early April last year, Råg I Ryggen by Råg I Ryggen a repressing of the 1975 release.

168552414_RgIRyggenbyRgIRyggen.jpg.92abed6a38ec16576a58a0b74037a8cf.jpg

From Alter.cat Records:

Widely regarded as a milestone in Swedish hard-rock history, Råg I Ryggen is the homonymous debut album released by six youngsters from Stockholm back in 1975. It was recorded in just two sessions in February that year at the EMI studio in Skärmarbrink, one of the most modern 16-channel studios available in Sweden in that period. The sessions clocked around 16 hours in total, with barely any time left for overdubs. Clearly influenced by bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and even Yes or Jethro Tull, the sounds contained here will appeal to hard-rock, heavy psych and progressive fans alike.

• Like 3

Following up on my last post 

Reviewing a stack of Prog CDs 

Today’s band is an English neo-progressive rock band formed by Mick Pointer (founder of Marillion) and Clive Nolan (keyboard player of Pendragon). 

This album has at times a heavy but lively beat to it, but also delicate and sensitive in parts - what made it enjoyable for me is it’s fantastic rhythmic beat 

Artist - Arena 

Title - The Visitor - released 1998 

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 4

On 31/01/2021 at 12:13 PM, Full Range said:

Following up on my last post 

Reviewing a stack of Prog CDs 

Today’s band is an English neo-progressive rock band formed by Mick Pointer (founder of Marillion) and Clive Nolan (keyboard player of Pendragon). 

This album has at times a heavy but lively beat to it, but also delicate and sensitive in parts - what made it enjoyable for me is it’s fantastic rhythmic beat 

Artist - Arena 

Title - The Visitor - released 1998 

hqdefault.jpg

Thanks Fuul Range.

Will get on Spotty and check it out. Not heard of this artist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, needlerunner said:

Not the greatest prog voice in the Universe. But his arrangements are stupendously good.

Nosound: Allow Yourself.

16122548590448541105391390187144.jpg

Update.

Been listening to the new Steven Wilson album. At first listen, l thought wtf ...not him, not sure if l even like it...so different. Not prog!

2nd listen, mmmn,  l'm starting to like this.

3rd listen. This is pure genius....album of the year.

Is this guy not a revelation!

? K

• Like 4

Although a prog fan, this is my first post on this thread I believe. I love a lot of prog but would not consider myself an aficionado of the genre. I get into all the early staple prog bands such as Yes, Rush, Tull, Genesis, Floyd, Focus, Dixie Dregs (yes, I reckon they're prog) and Kansas. Which brings me to the point of this post. 

Just thought I'd mention that this album is essential for the annals of prog.....so refreshing that it came out late last year. "The Absence Of Presence" is a great prog album (I'm listening to it now!).....former Yes part time touring keyboardist Tom Brislin has joined Kansas and along with guitarist and now chief songwriter Zak Rizvi, who joined prior to their previous album, the excellent 'The Prelude Implicit', has injected some serious prog chops into an already accomplished prog band. This album rocks in all the right places.....it's up there with Kansas best of the 70's. ?:heart:

News – Kansas Band | Classic Rock Band | The Absence of Presence

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, stevoz said:

Although a prog fan, this is my first post on this thread I believe. I love a lot of prog but would not consider myself an aficionado of the genre. I get into all the early staple prog bands such as Yes, Rush, Tull, Genesis, Floyd, Focus, Dixie Dregs (yes, I reckon they're prog) and Kansas. Which brings me to the point of this post. 

Just thought I'd mention that this album is essential for the annals of prog.....so refreshing that it came out late last year. "The Absence Of Presence" is a great prog album (I'm listening to it now!).....former Yes part time touring keyboardist Tim Brislin has joined Kansas and along with guitarist and now chief songwriter Zak Rivki, who joined prior to their previous album, the excellent 'The Prelude Implicit', has injected some serious prog chops into an already accomplished prog band. This album rocks in all the right places.....it's up there with Kansas best of the 70's. ?:heart:

News – Kansas Band | Classic Rock Band | The Absence of Presence

@ steveoz

Nice bit of work there Steve! Good to see you have chimed into the thread. All input is valued and welcome so please don't be shy.

If you have uncovered a proggish type of album, we would all like to hear about it.

There are many varied types of prog fans on here, including old farts like me as well as some younger people getting their feet wet and trying out different recommendations.

Kansas have always been a great band especially for the first part of their brilliant career. Although they lost their way a little bit in the latter par of last century, it's great to see a good come back album like this.

Think I'll give this another spin.

Cheers

Prog

• Like 4

21 hours ago, cazzesman said:

Worth a listen

Regards Cazzesman

PS.  Listening to the interview - I can't believe Steven doesn't know who Devin Townsend is and has never heard Empath.  ?

Great interview. Saw it last week.

Like wise was stunned he had not heard of Devin...how could he not. Surely they mix in the same circles. Though l think Steven may be a bit of a recluse? Or was it tongue in cheek perhaps?

Empath is a stunning must have album. Imagine if SW and DT collaborated on an album...wow!

Just ordered The Future Bites from JBs. Have been fairly hammering it on Spotify all week. It gets better with every listen.

Can't wait to hear it on my system.

? K

• Like 3

Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe - Forevermore extended version.

A unique release of two full length albums, this one is 90 minutes and the other called A Breath of Life abridged version, 65 minutes long.

The abridged version is not a shortened version but a different version altogether, some songs have different lyrics, some are total rewritten, and some are not on the extended version, interesting concept.

8A5793BB-7C4B-4750-9E84-E21618CEE990.png

572F8F78-9816-49A5-9518-759C5B4FB765.png

• Like 4

Hi All,

Getting on the Transatlantic Playlist, Kaleidoscope.

I see there is a Box Set of the Forevermore, which I may suggest as a birthday present to me ???

661951890_TransatlanticKaleidoscope.jpg.2bb4a643b0659bc4cec784d609e8798b.jpg

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

I see there is a Box Set of the Forevermore, which I may suggest as a birthday present ???

Good luck with that, most of the good stuff was sold out when I looked this morning

2 hours ago, awayward said:

A unique release of two full length albums, this one is 90 minutes and the other called A Breath of Life abridged version, 65 minutes long.

I just got back from walkies whereupon I listened to A Breath Of Life via the tidals. 

Idano I may be over this kind of epic prog ... the melodies, musicanship and harmonies are great but the song just kept on goin' and a-goin', with crescendo after crescendo, and non-sequitur instrumental diversions, until finally - finally! - it stopped. And to be honest half of it coulda been cut out, or it coulda finished at a different point, and it wouldnae have made any difference IMHO. And to think there's another version out there that's almost half as long again.

Maybe it will take a few more listens ... just dunno if I have the time ? 

--Geoff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

I see there is a Box Set of the Forevermore, which I may suggest as a birthday present ???

That's very considerate of you there JJ.

My birthday is a little way off yet, but hey, I can wait... ?

Do you need my address??? ?

20 hours ago, awayward said:

The abridged version is not a shortened version but a different version altogether, some songs have different lyrics, some are total rewritten, and some are not on the extended version, interesting concept.

The most awesomestest covers!   Can't wait for mine to arrive!!!

• Like 2

Hi @progladyte

I have your address from the CDs sent a fortnight ago, and thanks for sending them, hope the money transferred  OK.

19 hours ago, awayward said:

Good luck with that, most of the good stuff was sold out when I looked this morning

I ordered the Transatlantic Absolute Universe Forevermore (Extended Version) 3LP + 2CD Box Set

• Like 4

23 hours ago, awayward said:

The Universal Forevermore Edition is on it's way from Germany to Casa de Betocool I've been informed. Should be a few weeks and it's in my hands, one does hope.

Can't wait, even though I still have to. Will resist the temptation from the digital dealers.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, betocool said:

The Universal Forevermore Edition is on it's way from Germany to Casa de Betocool I've been informed. Should be a few weeks and it's in my hands, one does hope.

Can't wait, even though I still have to. Will resist the temptation from the digital dealers.

Cheers,

Alberto

I’m a bit surprised that most seem to be buying Forevermore, and not the Breath of Life also as the albums are different, I have bought both.

• Like 1