Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

I have just recently completed abuilding a pair of Mike Lenehan's LK1 speakers, I was advised to hook them up to my Copland CSA29 integrated and listen.....

Dialed my streamer into Hawkwind on Spotify.......................................

Dayum that is fine.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Hanging out for Fish's new album.

Not long now.

progstreaming.nl may very well  stream the whole album when they get their hands on a promo copy seeing they concentrate heavily on all things prog.

Keep your eyes open for it soon Ken

• Like 2

This is a mini review on the 200 Gr reissue LP of a favourite album 

LP arrived on Thursday and have payed it several times 

Artist - King Crimson

Album Red 

Released 2013 
https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-Red/release/4703409

Info 
Label - Inner Knot 

Notes indicate that it is not a remix 
This album was cut from the original 1974 stereo masters that Robert Fripp approved 

** Sticker reads: 
The original stereo mix of the 1974 classic 
Newly cut from masters approved by Robert Fripp 
Includes exclusive codes for 320kbps MP3 downloads of an original 1974 vinyl transfer 
200-gram super-heavyweight vinyl **

Review 
The album has a very quiet background allowing for the percussion twinkles to shine 

Good instrument separation with a fair degree of depth 

Voice is prominent and clear 

Horns hang just right 

A good mix of channel separation 

So overall it’s very good 

9AEC4044-9F93-4983-BBDF-38953AAAB29A.jpg

487D422E-D5D6-457C-B6AC-106D9DE28E6B.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Now on to an English Prog band that was founded in 1966 

In 1998 they split into two different groups; Barclay James Harvest Through The Eyes Of John Lees & Barclay James Harvest Featuring Les Holroyd

@progladyte put me onto them via some CD purchases from the classified section 

This LP is a compilation released in 1980 of the early work 

What a fantastic album - one listen is not enough 

Artist - Barclay James Harvest ‎
Title -  Mocking Bird - The Early Years

7-AA57807-9132-4524-8-E6-A-09-F45-CAE337

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Some arrivals today,

1494926224_Arrivals26.5_2020.jpg.8e833c653a2a558529d85416900a303f.jpg

JJ

@Janjuc

From Tormato, play the last track, "On The Silent Wings of Freedom" and crank that mother up past midnight. Be blown away by Chris Squire's incredible bass work at around the 2.2 minute mark and wonder how anyone can be so imaginative. It's probably my favourite Yes song from their latter cattledog, and definitely THE most impressive bass work I have ever heard.

Play it a few times first to get used to the song and then you'll anticipate this section as much as I do. It's simply sublime.

How he get's that immersive feedback sound way up and down the fret board at 2:25 onwards still gives me a chill up my spine.

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 4

On 19 May 2020 at 9:02 PM, progladyte said:

So, Dave, from that list of prog acts I emailed to you, which have you enjoyed since we last spoke. They must be bands you have never heard of before.

Good evening @progladyte

.  Readers should know that PROG has challenged/ educated me with a selection of proggy goodness, basically spanning most points of the globe.  I promised to listen to everything the recommended 5 times, so have been working my way, having a quick taste of everything, then going back to the ones that truely ring my chimes. Nothing has drawn a blank as yet, rediscovering KAYAK has been a joy, and ' FROZEN FLAME' has been played over 30 times: a guitar lick that echoes Jan Akkerman and Steve Rothery at their very finest.

To repay the kindness, I am compiling a definite list  of polka and Cambodian lounge music selections which I am sure will delight and titillate his Progness.

Respect.

Billy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Evening Folks.

I hope I'm not over stepping the mark posting this. 

I'm not overly familiar with this album although it was the first Priest record I heard many, many moons ago.  It actually put me off listening to them and it wasn't until I heard 'Screaming for Vengeance' a couple of years later that suggested I should check out their early stuff.

I've had three listens to this now and can only define it as Progressive Rock...

Judas Priest  'Sad Wings of Destiny'  Reissue 2008 Koch Entertainment. Made in USA.

1260377635_JudasPriestSadWingsofDestinyReissue2008KochEntertainment.MadeinUSA..JPG.0e5232fbb33cc93ab665c521385e6e19.JPG

A little surface noise may be reduced by a glue clean, and just a dusting of sibilance, but a very dynamic sound accomodating a some  volume.  A very enjoyable album and sound.

https://www.discogs.com/Judas-Priest-Sad-Wings-Of-Destiny/release/2532314

• Like 3

Guys,

I have just been badly infected with some ear candy that I thought I should share with you all. I hope it doesn't cause you to miss work or a mortgage payment or some such.

The band is called Comedy of Errors (dumb name but great music) and I had been playing some digital files in the car for about a week when this one track kept repeating over and over in my mind until it finally clicked.

Their album called Disobey has a track called "Prelude Riff and Fugue" which, while only short, kicks in with a really nice riff at about the 1.50m point.

Play this one a five times and see if it does for you what it has done for me.

I just get a buzz out of really nice free flowing and melodic guitar work like this.

Reminds me of Camel, Druid, Genesis, Steve Hackett and so many of that ilk.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

I've previously mentioned a great band I discovered when a copy of their disc was sent to me for review a few years ago.

X-panda are from Estonia of all places and blew me out of the water with their excellent debut called Flight of Fancy.

Just found a live clip from 2016.

Who even knew Estonia had electricity........

• Like 2

Hi Proggers,

Råg I Ryggen, Self Titled

1420248820_RgIRyggen.jpg.b51004c584af727c1a0dc6437b2f26cd.jpg

From Bandcamp:

Widely regarded as a milestone in Swedish rock history, Råg I Ryggen is the homonymous debut album released by six youngsters from Stockholm back in 1975. It was recorded in just two sessions in February that year at the EMI studio in Skärmarbrink, one of the most modern 16-channel studios available in Sweden in that period. The sessions clocked around 16 hours in total, with barely any time left for overdubs. Clearly influenced by bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and even Yes or Jethro Tull, the sounds contained here will appeal to hard-rock, heavy psych and progressive fans alike.

JJ

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers,

Råg I Ryggen, Self Titled

1420248820_RgIRyggen.jpg.b51004c584af727c1a0dc6437b2f26cd.jpg

From Bandcamp:

Widely regarded as a milestone in Swedish rock history, Råg I Ryggen is the homonymous debut album released by six youngsters from Stockholm back in 1975. It was recorded in just two sessions in February that year at the EMI studio in Skärmarbrink, one of the most modern 16-channel studios available in Sweden in that period. The sessions clocked around 16 hours in total, with barely any time left for overdubs. Clearly influenced by bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and even Yes or Jethro Tull, the sounds contained here will appeal to hard-rock, heavy psych and progressive fans alike.

JJ

Surprisingly it is available in Tidal, I'll have a listen ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Have you heard their earlier album called A Tower of Silence?

It's an absolute cracker.

Not yet ... I do have Hitchhiking to Byzantium on CD though ... has some good songs.

--Geoff

• Like 1