Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

These turned up today.

Dream Theater-Triple Album Collection.

Sylvan-Home.

Now most would have heard DT, but many may not have heard of Sylvan.

Wiki says they are a German Post Rock band. But they are definitely Prog. If you like Gazpacho, Black Field, Carptree, IQ, et al. Give this band ago.

15821021421817085674340554156941.jpg

• Like 4

Ahh!!!!

You guys are picking some nice albums!

Don't think I need to recommend anything this week!

Hows aboutie you recommend something to me!!! (Must be in the prog vein).

N.P

opeth.jpg

J.P

kar.jpg

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 4

Hi Proggers,

@progladyte my contribution to, hopefully, something new: Nostalgia For Infinity by Hats Off Gentlemen It's Adequate from Bandcamp. They are a mix of style, but not like any one band from any time. I hear hints Yes, Rush, Gentle Giant, early King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Marillion.

964014371_NostalgiaForInfinity.jpg.21a995a8c58c93df2b4781a6da9a8e50.jpg

JJ

• Like 2

10 hours ago, progladyte said:

Certainly have amigo!

Have collected them all since the 70's.

While we're on the subject of Yes (prolly may 2nd favourite prog band from the 70's), did I tell you about another UK band who have some similarities to Yes and go by the name of Druid. They perform a series of very lush, pastoral styles of symphonic rock which, while tending to be more melodious than some of your more aggressive types (Magma / Van Der Graaf etc), fills the bill nicely for these ageing ears.

They only released 2 albums in the 70's called "Toward The Sun" (1975) and "Fluid Druid" (1976). How they didn't do better is beyond me as their song writing in general is excellent with great structures, excellent, immersive instrumentation, (especially the mellotron and other keyboards) and high pitched falsetto vocals that try to emulate Sir Jon without being too plagiaristic.

A track called "Left To Find" sounds very much like a Focus song although this one builds beautifully from start to finish.

Another band they sound slightly similar to is Windchase / Sebastian Hardy.

Try them on Spotify

Enjoy!

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers,

@progladyte my contribution to, hopefully, something new: Nostalgia For Infinity by Hats Off Gentlemen It's Adequate from Bandcamp. They are a mix of style, but not like any one band from any time. I hear hints Yes, Rush, Gentle Giant, early King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Marillion.

964014371_NostalgiaForInfinity.jpg.21a995a8c58c93df2b4781a6da9a8e50.jpg

JJ

Hey JJ,

Is this the Canadian band who began in 2006 but disbanded in 2011 after releasing their 2007 album called "We Broke Ribs"?

I could find no users on RYM that have rated this 2007 album and there is no listing for this new one you mentioned.

Has someone revamped the old band again maybe?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers,

@progladyte  looking on their website, https://hatsoffgentlemen.com/links ,There is no mention of anything by them prior to 2009 when this band  / duo formed.   https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9716

Hope this helps.

JJ

I see where I missed this incarnation of a band with a very similar name. This newer version added "It's Adequate" to its title, hence the reason I missed finding them on RYM.

While their first 3 albums don't seem to have gone anywhere, this later one is rated much higher so methinks I might investigateraid this one.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

Tubular Bells for Two is touring again.

http://www.tubularbellsfortwo.com/

A great spectacle, extraordinary musicianship (multiple instruments played in real time) and great music of course.  I saw it a couple of years ago and am going again this year.  That's saying something since the last concert I went to was Simple Minds in the early '80s.

• Like 2

cover.jpg.d0b497cf0d43f7ad9a081b9e4031c555.jpg

cover.jpg.eb64d4a5f9c4446e19ff1ddc7b1db4bc.jpg

New to me iamthemorning (yes all one word in lower case)

"The Bell" is the latest.

Russians.   Classical pianist with a wispy Kate Bush type singer with occasional cello, drum etc.

I actually prefer the first album "~" which is a free download at Bandcamp.

I am sufficiently interested to buy another 2 albums between these 2.

• Like 4

On 26/02/2020 at 3:20 PM, aechmea said:

Tubular Bells for Two is touring again.

http://www.tubularbellsfortwo.com/

A great spectacle, extraordinary musicianship (multiple instruments played in real time) and great music of course.  I saw it a couple of years ago and am going again this year.  That's saying something since the last concert I went to was Simple Minds in the early '80s.

I'm booked in for Sydney on October 10. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 2