Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

Can I ask all the progsters within this thread what format they prefer to hear their music.

Choices:

Vinyl

CD

CDR

Digital (Can you specify the minimum (E.G. MP3 @ 320bps or Flac etc that is acceptable to your ears)

8-track

Edison Roll

Streaming Sites - Spotify etc

And if you feel up to it, what percentage, (within 23 decimal places of course) does each category tally within your collection?

I'll kick it off!

LPs - Down to about 11-12%

CDs - About 27%

Digital - About 60%

Others - About 1-2%

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Can I ask all the progsters within this thread what format they prefer to hear their music.

Choices:

Vinyl

CD

CDR

Digital

8-track

Edison Roll

And if you feel up to it, what percentage, (within 23 decimal places of course) does each category tally within your collection?

I'll kick it off!

CDs - About 27%

Digital - About 60%

Others - About 1-2%

Vinyl about 50%
CD about 30%

Digital about 20%

• Like 2

Hi All,

• Vinyl                                                                  30%
  • CDs                                                                   30%
  • Digital Files                                                    30%
  • Youtube and Streaming Sites                   10%

Currently listening to Cynic, Kindly Bent To Free Us

Cynic.jpg.90fb93ae34f92b317d16cb22258dc285.jpg

JJ

• Like 4

Format doesn't really matter to me as much as it used to.

At work, 100% spotify

Home:

Vinyl 20%

CD 10%

streaming from NAS 40%

Spotify or internet radio 30%

But that may vary from week to week.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neurone said:

Carptree - Subimago, recommended last year if memory serves by @needlerunner

1391878353_CarptreeSubimago.jpg.ae6f021fb8171695ba4eef5e9a44a053.jpg

Correct. Not their best album, but l think the only one on vinyl.

If you like Carptree, have you heard of a German Prog (Neo) band called RPWL. Very melodic and atmospheric, with great lyrics.

Bit like Gazpacho and Steven Wilson.  Going through their catologue on Spotify. 12 albums since 2013. I think l will be buying most of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love_music said:

The Flower Kings ~ Unfold The Future

1385289997_UnfoldtheFuture.jpg.2f5cf2e0cd0d7afad966d3252754d16f.jpg

Vinyl   5%

CDs   40%

Ripped Music  40%

Streamed  15%

Every night l listen to Spotify in bed. But on my main system l would say 70% CDs and 30% vinyl.

Probably because l have 1500 CDs and only 70 LPs. A lot of the stuff l like is not on vinyl and the cost and substandard pressings (warps) have put me off somewhat.

But as for listening, both formats have their good and bad points.

But l enjoy listening to both. depending on my mood. For some reason l enjoy playing records more in winter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

• Vinyl                                                                  30%
  • CDs                                                                   30%
  • Digital Files                                                    30%
  • Youtube and Streaming Sites                   10%

Currently listening to Cynic, Kindly Bent To Free Us

Cynic.jpg.90fb93ae34f92b317d16cb22258dc285.jpg

JJ

Had a listen...liked...so ordered.

Thanks for the heads up JJ.

4 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Correct. Not their best album, but l think the only one on vinyl.

If you like Carptree, have you heard of a German Prog (Neo) band called RPWL. Very melodic and atmospheric, with great lyrics.

Bit like Gazpacho and Steven Wilson.  Going through their catologue on Spotify. 12 albums since 2013. I think l will be buying most of them.

I have yet to obtain Subimago but as it rates a little less than the bands other titles, I've put this on hold for a while.

Here are the average ratings from RYM for Carptree and RPWL if anyone's interested.

I was sent RPWL's debut album for review back in 2000 but I can't recall to which website I uploaded it. If I ever track down a copy, I'll post it here so you can kurrect mi spelyng.

On a serious note, RPWL are huge in Europe as their initial albums sounded exxakery like The Floyd, such was their great reputation for emulating their heroes. They really are worth tracking down.

Tell me this next clip doesn't sound like PF.

Yogi Lang's 2 solo albums are also excellent.

carp.JPG

rpwl.JPG

• Like 2

Mostly streaming here, say 75% and most of the new stuff. Rest... a bit of vinyl and a bit of CD, no preference really as long as it's good. I tend to for Vinyl on things I really like, Transatlantic being the best example.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

It would used to be 50-50 CD vs Digital, but now I would say it leans heavily to Digital. So probably 90%  Digital. I also used to listen to vinyl a lot before parting with my set up.  Also gotta say, a lot of those turntable setup glam pics some of you got posted look very beautiful.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Batty said:

I have 24 of the listed titles. Have to query ELO's El Dorado being there, as well as the Soft Machine album (always considered them as jazz). A few of the tail-enders I have never even heard of.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2020 at 12:31 AM, progladyte said:

Choices:

Vinyl

CD

CDR

Digital (Can you specify the minimum (E.G. MP3 @ 320bps or Flac etc that is acceptable to your ears)

8-track

Edison Roll

I'll kick it off!

CDs - About 27%

Digital - About 60%

Others - About 1-2%

NAS 97%

Streaming 2%

Vinyl 1%

Strangely, after a gap of almost two decades I received two LP's for Christmas. I have also just taken delivery of an ultrasonic RCM. Vinyl may, indeed, be making a comeback.

• Like 4

Hi Proggers,

54 minutes ago, Batty said:

Did a count and 39, and as others have said a few I wouldn't have considered as Prog.

Currently listening to whilst doing my Thursday cleaning, AKKO 1,  Antony Kalugin`s Kinematics Orchestra, same fellow who releases as Karfagen, Sunchild, Ichthyander Dad`s Only Dolphin, Hoggwash and of course Antony Kalugin.

AKKO1.jpg.17d380511a3d7078c2f9be4dd5290896.jpg

JJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Uhm.... 48

Ruins & Meshuggah didn't do anything for me unfortunately except hit the eject button.

I also question ELO being on the list considering many of the great Italian bands such as Le Orme, Museo Rosenbach, Il Rovescio della Medaglia, etc were omitted. Still it's a pretty comprehensive list and one that is hard to question overall.

If you guys have enjoyed the prog journey so far, you're gonna wet yer pants when you discover so many of the lesser known bands.

Trust me, this will be a multiple orgasm for the ears for decades to come.

For those of you progsters with a penchant for digital files, perhaps I can help you out with some samples.

Edited by progladyte
  • Like 2

I'm CD 100%

I have -

• ripped them all,
  • extracted hi-rez PCM from a couple of DVD-A,
  • expanded HDCDs to 20bit
  • even burnt downloads to CD - hahaha

onto USBpowered hard disk (with multiple back-ups (including off site)) but that sits in a cupboard since I can't be bothered fiddling with computers or streaming.  Might seem odd since before retirement I worked for 25 or so years in IT;  just seems all too inconvenient and unnecessary to me.  I put a disk into the tray and press "play" - easy as.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

I have 24 of the listed titles. Have to query ELO's El Dorado being there, as well as the Soft Machine album (always considered them as jazz). A few of the tail-enders I have never even heard of.

Soft Machine seem to get lumped into a few sub genre of the prog umbrella, namely Canterbury, Jazz-Rock, Jazz Fusion, Prog Rock, Experimental Rock and Psychedelic Rock.

Take yer pick!

• Like 2

N.P.

Opeth's new spinner

Third or fourth spin and I'll admit it grabs you and won't let go.

The choruses are so damned catchy and memorable. Musicianship is superb as expected but it's totally different compared to their best ever effort called "Damnation" from 2003

opeth.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1