Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

Another PROG ALERT for the progsters amongst you.......

Gryphon return with another slice of excellence

Here's a review:

ByChuckon September 9, 2018

Quite simply, the best album by anyone at all since the golden age of the vinyl album. And I think my personal ear-bar is pretty high, what with 2 albums by the earlier incarnation of this group on my own all-time Top 20. The 'ReInvention' Gryphon spent a great deal of time prepping this for us, and it shows clearly from the very first moment of glorious pipes to the final, enigmatic disappearance of the organ to nothingness.

Gryphon have done what it seemed that no one else from 'back in the day' could manage - refind their muse! And it has to be largely due to excellent chemistry between the old and new members, as the compositions are credited to four different members - 2 originals and 2 recents. As yet, I can't pick a favorite - each and every one is pure magicmusic to my ears!
As ever, there are significant elements of "early music" obvious here, but, perhaps thanks to new blood (41 years on I guess we should say it's DNA) the musical palate is much broader, not only from song to song, but within each piece as well. The arrangements are just captivating, and had to be the work of endless comments, notes and retakes which, at least seemingly, have a synergistic building effect that complicates and adds interest to the presentations. Specifically, I denote large influences from both chamber music of multiple eras, and even jazz - especially from some of Graeme Taylor's guitar chords and underpinnings.

I read on fb that an early fan (like myself) was playing _ReInvention_ in the car, when her son said "Who is this, they're great!". I think that speaks volumes. And that's really all you need to know. Except, if you're looking for that real, new-record-first-time-on-the-table experience, it IS coming, but will be a few months yet according to these, still immensely talented, quintessentially British blokes!

Plus an ed's review:

Editorial Reviews

2018 release. Would you believe it? Gryphon are releasing an all-new studio album of especially written, previously unheard material - and this comes all of 41 years after their fifth album, way back in 1977. Now they really are the oldest and the newest thing - a legendary British band that's as exhilarating, energetic, unpredictable and addictive now as it ever was. After a one-off sell-out show in 2009 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London the band reformed in 2016 as a six-piece with three new members and since then have been back on the road wowing audiences all over again and rapidly gaining a new fanbase.

ReInvention returns in part to their early connection with Lewis Carroll's Alice books, in which they found their name. Guitarist Graeme Taylor has set the White Knight's song 'A-Sitting on a Gate' into an epic 11 minute extravaganza which takes us on a musical journey from a reflective Brittenesque bassoon, clarinet and violin trio introduction, into a prog-rocky dialogue between the White Knight (Brian Gulland) and an 'aged, aged man' (Dave Oberlé), through a heavy-metal riff with a suddenly distorted and harmonized bassoon, and thence to a plaintively tragi-comic conclusion to bring us home with a rousing military march. Something for all the family!

Definitely got this one high up on my wants list.

Anyone who has not yet heard this incredible band, could do no wrong in trying some of these, but particularly RQTG3:

gr1.jpg

gr2.jpg

gr3.jpg

gr5.jpg

gr4.jpg

• Like 6

Great news indeed! Have just ordered a copy of 'Reinvention' (from Burning Shed) and also 'Raindances' (from Amazon, shows as 'out of stock' on Burning Shed).

They are also planning a DVD release (would prefer blu-ray, but about time, I say).

http://www.thegryphonpages.com/

And don't forget these two albums either (BBC live recordings). Must haves for any Gryphon fan.

R-3199143-1516041292-1142.jpeg.jpg.cac8bf8a7ebfcbcbba63dd77fd5fe4dd.jpgAbout_as_Curious-1a.jpg.4eee9b335dd46836d2c7c15830619940.jpg

One can never have too much Gryphon. (One could also say there has not been nearly enough Gryphon.)

Must be time for a change of avatar too.

• Like 3

Anyone interested in Allan Holdsworth 

Its Jazz Fussion with prog leanings 

@progladyte can give you some insight 

A Solo Album Collection (12 records ) 

https://www.amazon.com.au/Allan-Holdsworth-Solo-Album-Collection/dp/B075V5B3JG?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ipad-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B075V5B3JG

• Like 2

A recent download from Bandcamp, The Prog Collective, Various Artists, Tracklist below:

Collective.jpg.1b4e5a67d461d0cb98746d615b0c5dad.jpg

1.The Laws of Nature (feat. John Wetton, Tony Levin, Jerry Goodman ) 07:18

2.Over Again (feat. Richard Page & Geoff Downes) 09:04

3.The Technical Divide (feat. Chris Squire, Gary Green & Alan Parsons) 07:55

4.Social Circles (feat. Annie Haslam & Peter Banks) 08:03

5.Buried Beneath (feat. Larry Fast, Steve Hillage, Billy Sherwood) 08:11

6.Following the Signs (feat. John Wesley & Tony Kaye) 07:27

7.Check Point Karma 07:14

8.The Laws of Nature (Instrumental Version) 07:17

9.Over Again (Instrumental Version) 08:10

10.The Technical Divide (Instrumental Version) 07:51

11.Social Circles (Instrumental Version) 08:02

12.Buried Beneath (Instrumental Version) 08:10

13.Following the Signs (Instrumental Version) 07:28

14.Check Point Karma (Instrumental Version) 07:17

Info From Bandcamp

The idea of assembling a collection of amazing artists from the progressive rock genre all on one record was an especially exciting concept to me. Inspired, I began writing and recording the 7 songs that would become this album. I then sent those recordings out to some of my friends and musical heroes from bands like King Crimson, XTC, Asia, Gentle Giant, and of course my former band Yes. Soon, I started receiving vocal tracks and guitar and keyboard overdubs from studios all over the world, which I then mixed at my recording studio in Los Angeles. Despite the distances in geography, however, the feeling of the entire production is one of musical and spiritual unity – The Prog Collective! – Billy Sherwood

The biggest super group of Progressive Rock players ever assembled!
Features performances by John Wetton (Asia), Tony Levin (King Crimson), Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu Orchestra), Richard Page (Mr. Mister), Geoff Downes (Yes/Asia), Alan Parsons (Alan Parsons Project), Chris Squire (Yes), Rick Wakeman (Yes), Gary Green (Gentle Giant), Annie Haslam (Renaissance), Steve Hillage (Gong), John Wesley (Porcupine Tree), Tony Kaye (Yes), Colin Moulding (XTC) and more!
Fans have already been talking up this release on blogs and message boards, and we’ll generate more1 interest through a large publicity campaign that will include consumer print ads in Prog magazine and more!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Neurone said:

A recent download from Bandcamp, The Prog Collective, Various Artists, Tracklist below:

Collective.jpg.1b4e5a67d461d0cb98746d615b0c5dad.jpg

1.The Laws of Nature (feat. John Wetton, Tony Levin, Jerry Goodman ) 07:18

2.Over Again (feat. Richard Page & Geoff Downes) 09:04

3.The Technical Divide (feat. Chris Squire, Gary Green & Alan Parsons) 07:55

4.Social Circles (feat. Annie Haslam & Peter Banks) 08:03

5.Buried Beneath (feat. Larry Fast, Steve Hillage, Billy Sherwood) 08:11

6.Following the Signs (feat. John Wesley & Tony Kaye) 07:27

7.Check Point Karma 07:14

8.The Laws of Nature (Instrumental Version) 07:17

9.Over Again (Instrumental Version) 08:10

10.The Technical Divide (Instrumental Version) 07:51

11.Social Circles (Instrumental Version) 08:02

12.Buried Beneath (Instrumental Version) 08:10

13.Following the Signs (Instrumental Version) 07:28

14.Check Point Karma (Instrumental Version) 07:17

Info From Bandcamp

The idea of assembling a collection of amazing artists from the progressive rock genre all on one record was an especially exciting concept to me. Inspired, I began writing and recording the 7 songs that would become this album. I then sent those recordings out to some of my friends and musical heroes from bands like King Crimson, XTC, Asia, Gentle Giant, and of course my former band Yes. Soon, I started receiving vocal tracks and guitar and keyboard overdubs from studios all over the world, which I then mixed at my recording studio in Los Angeles. Despite the distances in geography, however, the feeling of the entire production is one of musical and spiritual unity – The Prog Collective! – Billy Sherwood

The biggest super group of Progressive Rock players ever assembled!
Features performances by John Wetton (Asia), Tony Levin (King Crimson), Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu Orchestra), Richard Page (Mr. Mister), Geoff Downes (Yes/Asia), Alan Parsons (Alan Parsons Project), Chris Squire (Yes), Rick Wakeman (Yes), Gary Green (Gentle Giant), Annie Haslam (Renaissance), Steve Hillage (Gong), John Wesley (Porcupine Tree), Tony Kaye (Yes), Colin Moulding (XTC) and more!
Fans have already been talking up this release on blogs and message boards, and we’ll generate more1 interest through a large publicity campaign that will include consumer print ads in Prog magazine and more!

Hi @Neurone

I am awaiting for the LPs to arrive, purchased them a week ago so will probably be another 2-3 weeks, the FLAC downloads are very good.

JJ

• Like 3

Dropped into JB hifi at lunch today. Checked out all of the overpriced vinyl and ended up pissed off. Went around to the CD racks and picked this up for $14,99.

Seriously **** buying vinyl for now.

I know a lot of Opeth fans don't like the fact they have gone from death metal to prog and I get that if you love a band and their music it may annoy you if they change. For me I love how Opeth have morphed and changed. I love the old death stuff and this is like two bands in one.

serveimage.jpg

Edited by crisis
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, crisis said:

Dropped into JB hifi at lunch today. Checked out all of the overpriced vinyl and ended up pissed off. Went around to the CD racks and picked this up for $14,99.

Seriously **** buying vinyl for now.

I know a lot of Opeth fans don't like the fact they have gone from death metal to prog and I get that if you love a band and their music it may annoy you if they change. For me I love how Opeth have morphed and changed. I love the old death stuff and this is like two bands in one.

serveimage.jpg

Second hand Vinyl is the way to go- that JB stuff is a ripp off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

????

JJ

They are orobably classified as Prog Metal rather than Prog Rock. Check them out if you like a bit more distortion guitar for your cup of tea.

There's also a cool local prog band called 'Vanishing Point'. I wish i can see them live when they're playing in Sydney.

I just also remember Transatlantic is pretty cool for Prog Rock.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eddierukiddingvarese said:

Second hand Vinyl is the way to go- that JB stuff is a ripp off

I bought a couple of those. $20 each. Still dearer than the new double Opeth CD I bought. And one was unplayable. I was buying second hand vinyl for a couple of bucks 15 years or so back... Ill be giving that a miss as well.

Edited by crisis
  • Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft

They got the track names mixed up on Tidal. Apart from that, this is the best I've heard in a while. Interesting textures, and some stunning sax as icing on the cake.

image.thumb.png.b735abfbcf22581e079a6b4c64bd6e99.png