Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

HI proggers,

Earlier on the drive home from Melbourne to Home, listened to the download flacs of.

259445223_NoLand.jpg.b822bc72c5c1448ef2bd78e6431ea21a.jpg

After the first listening sessions I had to take a deep breath and think about how best to meet the album, if you do not know it yet. Because it is so different from what you know from the genres that represents this record at least in the beginning. Just imagine the interface between dark ambient, world music, brass music, Breton folklore and Scottish bagpipes. If you succeed, the question remains whether you can endure this instrumental force of about 30 musicians and a choir with 20 voices concentrated on only one piece per page, with 19:35 or 18:12 minutes duration? Still interested? Then keep reading.

The Bagad Pipe Bands can fascinate. Due to the pervasive tone of the bagpipes, bombards (oboes) and drums, this can also be enervating with time. A matter of taste, I say. In Brittany, however, they are a great tradition that today is cultivated by at least 80 such bands. There is even a World Cup. Of course, there is a connection with military and marching music, after all, Bagad was created in the middle of the 20th century. In the present recording it is at the Bagad' Cesson , this new musical path to follow .

Oliver Mellano's " No Land "composition tried to preservethe tradition of this tremendous body of sound in its natural power of captivating the listener, but on the other hand, his concern was to unite the common and the individual So sounding masses also soloists, which lend the whole a loosening character and thereby generate even more tension.

So the basic character is that 18 oboes, 4 bagpipes and 9 percussionists (mainly snare drums) present an opulent meal and in their rhythmic activities keep pausing again and again and let individual instruments take precedence. One of the most important elements, despite all the dominance of Bagad' Cesson, is the incredible voice of Brendan Perry ! Not only his powerful, dark vocals make this record a special experience, but also the fruitful collaboration with Olivier Mellano, who incidentally only modestly acts as bassist. The mysticism of earlier Dead Can Dance plates can be felt here too, clear and striking. Ethnic elements are thus a not insignificant part of " No LandNevertheless, another factor appears attractive.

In this opus also appear structures of "micro-polyphonic" minimalist music brand Terry Riley and Robert Fripp , who surprisingly combine Mellano with influences from Celtic motifs, North African Jajouka music or Balinese rhythms " No country ". Apparent opposites reach an unimagined unity and at the same time individual beauty. Remarkably, Mellano combines a universal message that one wishes to reach even the most important people in the world.

The military origin of Bagad music dissolves in the vastness of world music. The geographical identity to Brittany dissolves in favor of the freedom that everyone everywhere breathes the same air and is subject to the same laws of life. For the essence of man, there are no limits, neither locally nor in the mind. Whether it will ever succeed in creating a peaceful existence for all remains to be seen. Nevertheless, this LP may be a tiny step in this direction!

JJ

• Like 4

9200000094728519.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!   JUST WOW!!!!

If you call yourself a Prog fan and don't get this DVD and/or Bluray then hand in your membership badge and duffle coat at Reception.

A stunning display of virtuosity from one of the most under-rated bands in the world. 

Music and visuals are truly amazing on my Bluray version.

What gets me about any Marillion live video, and this one is OTT, is the pure, unabashed adulation that flows from the fans to the band and vice versa.

Marillion as a collective is so humble.  They all exude a 100%  'man next door' vibe that is palpable.     Hogarth just oozes charm and impish glee.  He is a joy to behold in full flight.    His passion and delivery have no peer in my opinion.    As one review I read said,  'Marillion never Phones it in'.

This show is a truly brilliant representation of a stellar band at the peak of its powers.

Get a copy and enjoy the Love.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 6

I have been waiting for the stand alone BluRay of  "EYE IN THE SKY" to come up, and anyone wanting to avoid the Gerry Harvey Amazon  Tax can get it from Real Gone Music for  a decent price. I had bought from them over the past few years and they are excellent.

Billy.

image.png

Edited by Zen Mister
Typo
  • Like 2

On 21/07/2018 at 5:37 PM, cazzesman said:

9200000094728519.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!   JUST WOW!!!!

If you call yourself a Prog fan and don't get this DVD and/or Bluray then hand in your membership badge and duffle coat at Reception.

A stunning display of virtuosity from one of the most under-rated bands in the world. 

Music and visuals are truly amazing on my Bluray version.

What gets me about any Marillion live video, and this one is OTT, is the pure, unabashed adulation that flows from the fans to the band and vice versa.

Marillion as a collective is so humble.  They all exude a 100%  'man next door' vibe that is palpable.     Hogarth just oozes charm and impish glee.  He is a joy to behold in full flight.    His passion and delivery have no peer in my opinion.    As one review I read said,  'Marillion never Phones it in'.

This show is a truly brilliant representation of a stellar band at the peak of its powers.

Get a copy and enjoy the Love.

Regards Cazzesman

Hi Cazzesman,

Awaiting for the 4 LP set with Bluray, if it only half as good as you say it will be awesome :thumb:

JJ

• Like 3

Hi Proggers,

About to spin, but will only get through the first LP.

754212555_SeaWithin.jpg.fba6e9b8eda2aaae88d840ae00dfe2d0.jpg

I have found that the first LP was not as interesting, perhaps even tending to be passe ? but after 3-4 spins I came to increase my enjoyment of it. :thumb:

JJ

• Like 4

Guest Eggcup The Daft
On 21/07/2018 at 12:53 AM, Janjuc said:

HI proggers,

Earlier on the drive home from Melbourne to Home, listened to the download flacs of.

259445223_NoLand.jpg.b822bc72c5c1448ef2bd78e6431ea21a.jpg

After the first listening sessions I had to take a deep breath and think about how best to meet the album, if you do not know it yet. Because it is so different from what you know from the genres that represents this record at least in the beginning. Just imagine the interface between dark ambient, world music, brass music, Breton folklore and Scottish bagpipes. If you succeed, the question remains whether you can endure this instrumental force of about 30 musicians and a choir with 20 voices concentrated on only one piece per page, with 19:35 or 18:12 minutes duration? Still interested? Then keep reading.

The Bagad Pipe Bands can fascinate. Due to the pervasive tone of the bagpipes, bombards (oboes) and drums, this can also be enervating with time. A matter of taste, I say. In Brittany, however, they are a great tradition that today is cultivated by at least 80 such bands. There is even a World Cup. Of course, there is a connection with military and marching music, after all, Bagad was created in the middle of the 20th century. In the present recording it is at the Bagad' Cesson , this new musical path to follow .

Oliver Mellano's " No Land "composition tried to preservethe tradition of this tremendous body of sound in its natural power of captivating the listener, but on the other hand, his concern was to unite the common and the individual So sounding masses also soloists, which lend the whole a loosening character and thereby generate even more tension.

So the basic character is that 18 oboes, 4 bagpipes and 9 percussionists (mainly snare drums) present an opulent meal and in their rhythmic activities keep pausing again and again and let individual instruments take precedence. One of the most important elements, despite all the dominance of Bagad' Cesson, is the incredible voice of Brendan Perry ! Not only his powerful, dark vocals make this record a special experience, but also the fruitful collaboration with Olivier Mellano, who incidentally only modestly acts as bassist. The mysticism of earlier Dead Can Dance plates can be felt here too, clear and striking. Ethnic elements are thus a not insignificant part of " No LandNevertheless, another factor appears attractive.

In this opus also appear structures of "micro-polyphonic" minimalist music brand Terry Riley and Robert Fripp , who surprisingly combine Mellano with influences from Celtic motifs, North African Jajouka music or Balinese rhythms " No country ". Apparent opposites reach an unimagined unity and at the same time individual beauty. Remarkably, Mellano combines a universal message that one wishes to reach even the most important people in the world.

The military origin of Bagad music dissolves in the vastness of world music. The geographical identity to Brittany dissolves in favor of the freedom that everyone everywhere breathes the same air and is subject to the same laws of life. For the essence of man, there are no limits, neither locally nor in the mind. Whether it will ever succeed in creating a peaceful existence for all remains to be seen. Nevertheless, this LP may be a tiny step in this direction!

JJ

Listening on Tidal. Will buy. I'm an absolute sucker for the Breton pipes - and to hear the Bagad format work so well in such a different music is great (some of the recent music I've heard from various Bagads has been commercial froth, unfortunately).

Edited by Eggcup The Daft

Hi Proggers,

Whilst I am still online, has anyone heard or own this. Have seen it for ~$250+ landed.

Transatlantic, The Whirlwind – 2010 Ltd Ed  3xLP (Marillion and Dream Theater)

Trans.thumb.jpg.94c4467eb379bac8cd92e1bed6ccec04.jpg

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 6

On 19/05/2012 at 1:58 PM, Zen Mister said:

This is posted to provide a home base for lovers of Progressive / ProgRock to air their love and devotion.

PROG has become a dirty word in some areas, but it as at it's most pervasive and influential era ever. The Euro PROG scene is vast and throws up bands from the most obscure places. The American flag is flown high by the likes of Dream Theatre, the U.K. , the birthplace of all that is PROG,is nurturing Porcupine Tree and a wealth of reforming vintage bands.

There is even a brilliant magazine dedicated to the genre .

All genres bleed at the edges, so let's see what gets name checked. if your passion is for a ripping Krumhorn solo, if you get a chubby listening to Siberian Khatru, if you drift to Hamburger Concerto, let your freak flag fly!

Naysayers can stay home for the day.

Not a huge prog rock fan.

But contrary to your advice, I think I'll still do the odd short day trip. ;)

Does Tool count?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Janjuc said:

Hi Proggers,

Whilst I am still online, has anyone heard or own this. Have seen it for ~$250+ landed.

Transatlantic, The Whirlwind – 2010 Ltd Ed  3xLP (Marillion and Dream Theater)

Trans.thumb.jpg.94c4467eb379bac8cd92e1bed6ccec04.jpg

JJ

I'm lucky to own all four LP releases of Transatlantic records. Bought the "Bridge Across Forever" back in 2010 or so, after reading a bit on Wikipedia and because the description of the music appealed to me. I got them all in the end for the ridiculous price of 33 Euro each at the local shop in Bremen. And the guy had a little stash, I remember him handing me the copy I grabbed off the shelf and he says "No, don't take this... this one's cover is scuffed... here, take this one in better condition".

That guy would also have the latest from Flying Colors and all that jazz (which ain't jazz, prog).

If you ever go to Bremen, go visit Hot Shot Records, very well worth your time.

Now, back to the original questions, I love this record! I'm not too fussed about the outtakes, and it shows Neal Morse's thing with religion a bit too much, but the covers are bloody awesome! The whole album theme is great, a bit lighter than their previous but well presented. And not to spoil too much, just let it spin all the way to the end (no doubt you would).

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 3

I am listening on vinyl as I post 

Probably my favourite Manfred Mann’s Earth Band  album 

Nightingales & Bombers 

ID - Bronze 24337

And last week I was listening to Styx - Pieces Of Eight 

15B70572-8C80-4494-8DFD-26A1AED74E13.jpeg

58EF6260-EAA2-427B-BB1A-5B508736386A.jpeg

• Like 4