Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

8 hours ago, Full Range said:

Hidden in my vault 

Artist - Jon Anderson 

Title - Olias Of Sunhillow

IMG_7476.JPG

A sublime album in every way. As many others will say, this is his masterpiece.

As you can see below, Jon Anderson takes number 9 spot on my all time favourite albums as posted on Gnosis 2000.

15 Emmanuel, Tommy Determination Oz 1991  
15 Genesis Selling England By The Pound Eng 1973  
15 Giltrap, Gordon Fear of the Dark Eng 1978  
15 Hackett, Steve Voyage of The Acolyte Eng 1975  
15 Premiata Forneria Marconi Photos of Ghosts Ita 1973  
15 Return to Forever Romantic Warrior USA 1976  
15 St. John's Copperwine, Jeff Joint Effort Oz 1970  
15 Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans Eng 1973  
14 Anderson, Jon Olias of Sunhillow Eng 1976  
14 Ar Braz, Dan / l'Heritage des Celts En Concert Fra

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Full Range said:

Hidden in my vault 

Artist - Jon Anderson 

Title - Olias Of Sunhillow

IMG_7476.JPG

This is very timely. I  bought this album only last week, in NM condition, both jacket and record......for $8 at a local market:)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rantan said:

This is very timely. I  bought this album only last week, in NM condition, both jacket and record......for $8 at a local market:)

That diserves a thumbs up ?? for sure 

Have a few spins and report back 

• Like 2

Just now, Full Range said:

That diserves a thumbs up ?? for sure 

Have a few spins and report back 

Already have. It's amazingly good in SQ and is also very immersive. The beautiful cover ,lyrics and artwork are just the icing on a great cake. I cannot get over how good the condition is, it looks and plays like brand new.

I was playing it today at low-ish levels so as not to annoy and after a few minutes my wife asked me to turn up the volume as she was enjoying it also. What's a good husband gonna do?:lol:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Full Range said:

@JukKluk2  & @progladyte

On the record spinning thread I normally add a comment as I'm spinning 

this is the comment I posted 

That is so true but then again it also applies to a lot of music that is new to your ears. This is even more relevant with anything in the prog genre for reasons we have often all discussed before.

• Like 2

Enjoying this fantastic set. So well presented and researched, all at such a fair price.

The live show is awesome, and the stereo remaster is very well done.

Pride of place  goes to the stunning Steven Wilson surround mix. This mix highlights what an epic this is , in the sense of the arrangements and the performance having a wide dynamic range.

I believe this is already hard to get from overseas, sales being very healthy, so if you enjoy a bit of extra FISH in your day, don't hesitate.

Billy.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/1/2017 at 0:39 PM, Zen Mister said:

Enjoying this fantastic set. So well presented and researched, all at such a fair price.

Pride of place  goes to the stunning Steven Wilson surround mix. This mix highlights what an epic this is , in the sense of the arrangements and the performance having a wide dynamic range.

I believe this is already hard to get from overseas, sales being very healthy, so if you enjoy a bit of extra FISH in your day, don't hesitate.

Billy.

image.jpeg

Yeah I love it.

Doco with them in recording studio was a bit dry but interesting. Fish is still hurting from their snub at Live Aid, that would have propelled them into the big time.

On 9/1/2017 at 12:39 PM, Zen Mister said:

Billy.

image.jpeg

I understand that they are doing something similar to Brave which would be awesome I also hope they do the same to Clutching At Straws which I find better than Misplaced Childhood, I haven't stop listening to it over the last couple of days.

• Like 1

Now playing this fantastic piece that Trace released way back in the day.

It seems ol' Rick has not lost his touch.

The 3rd track off side 1, Gaillarde (the reprise or 3rd movement) is one of the most beautiful pieces of music that Tony Banks from Genesis never managed to compose. One of my favourite albums of all time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, progladyte said:

is one of the most beautiful pieces of music that Tony Banks from Genesis never managed to compose. One of my favourite albums of all time.

Speaking of Tony Banks 

I was spinning one of his solo albums the other day - A Curious Feeling 

IMG_7578.JPG

• Like 3

The Nice: Live at the Fillmore East December 1969

Virgin 693 1432 (2 CDs). 2009. Eddie Kramer, orig. eng.; Libby Jones, Chris Maj, project coordinators; Mark Powell, Ben Wiseman, mastering, mix. ADD? TT: 93:51

The Nice's studio albums weren't too shabby, but Keith Emerson's band never sounded better than they did in these live Fillmore East shows in late 1969. I love the from-the-audience perspective, but this is no amateur endeavor: engineer Eddie Kramer was manning the eight-track tape deck. As for the music, it's nascent prog rock infused with classical, and played with ferocious abandon on keyboards, bass, and drums. With quieter fare like Tim Hardin's "Hang On to a Dream," the range of textures and sounds Emerson ripped from his keyboards never failed to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/records-die-2017-page-3#5EGqBTFi4rhGPyOt.99 

THE NICE (Keith Emerson): Fillmore West, December 12, 1969 (audio only)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ian McP said:

The Nice: Live at the Fillmore East December 1969

Virgin 693 1432 (2 CDs). 2009. Eddie Kramer, orig. eng.; Libby Jones, Chris Maj, project coordinators; Mark Powell, Ben Wiseman, mastering, mix. ADD? TT: 93:51

The Nice's studio albums weren't too shabby, but Keith Emerson's band never sounded better than they did in these live Fillmore East shows in late 1969. I love the from-the-audience perspective, but this is no amateur endeavor: engineer Eddie Kramer was manning the eight-track tape deck. As for the music, it's nascent prog rock infused with classical, and played with ferocious abandon on keyboards, bass, and drums. With quieter fare like Tim Hardin's "Hang On to a Dream," the range of textures and sounds Emerson ripped from his keyboards never failed to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/records-die-2017-page-3#5EGqBTFi4rhGPyOt.99 

THE NICE (Keith Emerson): Fillmore West, December 12, 1969 (audio only)

This album was released by the manager after Keith Emerson’s departure from the Nice 

Full Review and circumstances here http://www.allmusic.com/album/keith-emerson-with-the-nice-mw0000650564

Its worth the read and I recommend it 

Artist - Keith Emerson with The Nice 

Double album by Mercury Records SRM 26500 

IMG_7293.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

I remember this coming out. Never got around to getting a copy. I would imagine that it's really a Nice "Best Of" by stealth, isn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The information I have is that it’s a combination of tracks from 2 LP albums 

Five Bridges & Elegy 

• Like 1