Anatoly Beaver-Hausen

Progressive Rock 101: Why PROG is essential for the Evolution of Mankind.

This is posted to provide a home base for lovers of Progressive / ProgRock to air their love and devotion.

PROG has become a dirty word in some areas, but it as at it's most pervasive and influential era ever. The Euro PROG scene is vast and throws up bands from the most obscure places. The American flag is flown high by the likes of Dream Theatre, the U.K. , the birthplace of all that is PROG,is nurturing Porcupine Tree and a wealth of reforming vintage bands.

There is even a brilliant magazine dedicated to the genre .

All genres bleed at the edges, so let's see what gets name checked. if your passion is for a ripping Krumhorn solo, if you get a chubby listening to Siberian Khatru, if you drift to Hamburger Concerto, let your freak flag fly!

Naysayers can stay home for the day.

Long Live Prog

This duo are American but have a couple Japanese dancing girls - be brave, poor SQ but insane band

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but out of certain sentimental reasons I love this band's debut... I always wondered how do people without any historical connection to it find it...

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but out of certain sentimental reasons I love this band's debut... I always wondered how do people without any historical connection to it find it...

Jan, I like it. There is a good feel and groove to it. Love the hammond organ. Then again as I like my prog this is right down my alley.

Is it hard to get?

ZM, you're talking to one of the biggest fans of prog in the whole galaxy here amigo.

I live and breathe this stuff every waking hour of the day.

There's hardly a prog band I haven't heard of or have collected although these days it's getting hard to keep up with many of the newer, lesser known Euro bands.

I know Patjoy, Steve Batty and Emsebee are big prog fans as well but there are quite a few of us here on SNA that delve into this intriguing genre.

Some people pass on this style of music as being too self indulgent etc but I couldn't give a toss what they think. It works for me and has done for over 40 years so why would I not persevere with it.

Here's a link to what sort of stuff is on my radar.

http://rateyourmusic.com/~progladyte

Edited by progladyte

This duo are American but have a couple Japanese dancing girls - be brave, poor SQ but insane band

In one word wow, what the ***k is all this :)

I can't help it, I equate Prog Rock with the 1970s when more bad music was made than in almost any other decade in history. I also immediately think of the quintessential Prog Rock bands - Yes and ELP :(:sorry: The 1970s, especially the second half of the 1970s, has a lot to answer for. MTV, Fusion (with some exceptions), Disco, Prog Rock, ABBA, The Partridge Family, John Farnham.

I am probably the only person I know who lived through the era as a music fan and didn't own a single Yes or ELO album.

I can't help it, I equate Prog Rock with the 1970s when more bad music was made than in almost any other decade in history. I also immediately think of the quintessential Prog Rock bands - Yes and ELP :(:sorry: The 1970s, especially the second half of the 1970s, has a lot to answer for. MTV, Fusion (with some exceptions), Disco, Prog Rock, ABBA, The Partridge Family, John Farnham.

I am probably the only person I know who lived through the era as a music fan and didn't own a single Yes or ELO album.

What???...............did you miss the '80s ????? :nana

Ah, you want nothing but adulation of your particular preferences in music.

I do beg your pardon.

ZM, you've inspired me to have a Pink Floyd evening. Currently playing the Pulse album. DSOtM sounds pretty darned good, but SQ of some of tracks on side one not so good.

Have memories of many of the bigger UK prog bands of the 70s. Saw quite a few live, and believe it or not I actually remember the 70s!!! Gasp ... Obviously didn't take ENOUGH of the mind-enhancing goodies that were doing the rounds then. Just enough to have some 'interesting' experiences!

Brumby ... Get back in your box ... Who said you could come out??

Did you mean to say that more 'bad' music was made in the 70s, or bad prog. music was made in the 70s?