Sign in to follow this  
tallman5353

Have I found a rarity/goody?

Hi all,

Just recently I came across an ad on Gumtree, For sale was an old jvc system with 4 speakers, no pictures, that's it.

Went to investigate, and what i found was quite something.

The system is from the 70's i believe, consists of:

JVC 4VR-5436X Fm-Am 4 Channel Stereo Receiver with built in CD-4 Demodulator (Quadraphonic) - http://www.thevintageknob.org/jvc-4VR5436.html

JVC SK-12 4 Way 6 speaker boxes with wood lattice - pair

JVC VS-5399 Bi-directional rear speakers - pair - http://www.thevintageknob.org/jvc-VS-5399.html

A woman was selling it, i don't think she realised what she was selling. All she wanted was $20!!!!!!!!!! SOLD

All the pieces are in fantastic, original condition, and the receiver works beautifully. The SK-12's are unbelievable for something from the 70's!

Does anyone know what the REAL resale value of this system is?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with that particular equipment, but I'd say you've scored an impressive bargain. For $20, how could you lose?

Don't knock the 70s, some good gear came from that era.

Edited by emesbee

Looks very nice on the links provided

I lived in the 70s era and mainly used Sansui gear

A lot of that gear from most brands was well made, so when you say that 40 + years on it stil sounds nice then you have your answer

Guest Muon

Wow, nice receiver, and I have never in my life seen those JVC speakers. Edit:Referring to the JVC VS-5399's

Nice pick up :thumb:

Edited by datafone

Also, ive noticed that two of the bulbs that light up the display (mainly the aerial tuning and signal strength) have blown. They are little fuse shaped globes that are rated 12.6v 0.3a. Anyone know where to get them in Adelaide?

Also, ive noticed that two of the bulbs that light up the display (mainly the aerial tuning and signal strength) have blown. They are little fuse shaped globes that are rated 12.6v 0.3a. Anyone know where to get them in Adelaide?

They would be fuselamps.

Plenty of online sellers. An old school repair guy would likely have some lying around.

Guest Muon

John (skippy) could know of a good source for those.

Does anyone know what the REAL resale value of this system is?

Nice looking speaking and very efficient. Great find. Well done.

Themarket value is of course what someone is willing to pay for it. That's really hard to guess. Google sometimes can indicate a market price but that only works for common items. eg http://www.canuckaud...tereo_receiver/ the reciever isnt worth $100 in Canada but...?

For the lady selling it was worth $20 to get someone to take the stuff away.

Now youve told us you paid $20 for the lot its instantly devalued and worth about $15 on SNA if you find a very generous buyer :)

Id say its real value lies in the happiness you've found with such a great score. :)

Edited by Nada

WES Components stock them. They will do mail order.

Nice find mate...

Vintage is the way forward!!!

Cheers

M

Yeah, better she flogs it foe twenty bucks than it being thrown into land fill.

Nice one.

Fark!!! What a bargain. Shows what's possible if you keep your eyes open and don't give up looking.

Congratulations!

Japanese Victor Company produced some great stuff and were one of the first to produce higher end not aimed at the mass market.

Pioneer, Sansui & Kenwood were the others that endeavoured towards the same.

That is a stunning bargain you have picked up. With the collectibility of mint to excellent condition products of that vintage and especially Quadrophonic gear, you could be looking at $1000 - $2000 for the lot.

I've owned a pair of those SK-12s and I agree - they are fantastic speakers for the era.

Japanese manufactured speakers of the 1970s get a bad rap around a lot of audio forums, but the SK-12s were a very good quality build and sound. And they look damn sexy in that 1970s kind of way........ One of those pairs of speakers I wish I hadn't sold.

Enjoy.

DaveR

great find! ....the SK-12's are a sleeper, not quiet as nice as the SK-15 for bottom end but still impressive as per other people's comments. The receiver provides great performance and will drive two pairs of speakers with ease. the VS-5399 are super rare here in Australia, i've never listened to a pair but their design is certainly unique - perhaps JVC's competitor offer against DCM or Bose rivals at the time. To a quadraphonic enthusiast you'll find some strong interest unfortunately most people get confused when they hear the word quadraphonic and go for a stereo set ups instead - should you want to keep it I strongly recommend you get the speaker crossovers refurbed and have the amp looked at - can only sound better :)

My brother bought one of these exact same JVC cd4 receivers mid 70s from fiji when 1st year at uni. I fell in love with it and it got handed down to my old man - I recall i hooked it up in cd4 mode to dads commodore (I had installed 4 nice aftermarket speakers) and put the cd4 DSOM vinyl album on, WOW Talk about great surround sound in those days! The money was going from corner to corner

Edited by norpus

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this