Synchro-Mesh

Interesting, interesting,

To change tack slightly (sorry OP) does anyone have any experience with the SM in a sonos system? The Empirical audio website certainly says it should beef it up a notch or two (possible three).

So if one was particularly feeling flush with cash and wanting early Christmas pressie and had a 1.5-2k to accidentally spend while the wife was on holiday, is the syncho-mesh + "insert DAC du jour" into a sonos set up worth said 1.5-2k?

I know the sonos is limited in its output so would upsampling to 96kHz cause any quality issues, or is this an oxymoron, from an audio moron.

Be interested to hear people's DAC + SM combo thoughts too.

Currently streaming FLAC files to sonos -> Quasimodo -> ascension 1093SRTL sounds pretty good to me but there is this little audio bug which has bit me and I can't seem to find a vaccine!

Hi guys, the most important question that you need to ask yourselves is if you are happy with the vanilla Sonos playing music?

My Sonos setup started as a bit of an accident simply because someone here on SNA was selling it and I had always been curious what all the fuss was about. It was never intended to be part of my experiment... > to set up a system that is as simple as possible that I could live with.

The Sonos proved to be a predicament from the beginning. I loved how simple it was to set up, its stability as far as wireless technology goes and how friendly its user interface is particular via the iPad. But I just could not like how it sounded yet could not give it up. Whilst it has plenty of detail, I found that the image was too forward and narrow. Imagine you are sitting on the couch with your feet up playing Sophie Zelmani, its like she is so close to you that she could bite your toes. yuck! :P (of course you could enjoy this thought farom a different perspective). I could never listen to it for more than a few tracks before getting agitated. There was nothing natural about it.

First up was a DAC. The Schiit Bifrost managed to move the image back but it still could not make me listen for long. So then came the Synchro Mesh. If you are familiar with reclockers, you would know that it does a few things very well and that includes, separation, 3D, improved timbre on instruments and more natural vocals. This is what the SM does for the Sonos. It may not be that obvious on initial listen but more about getting use to it then you realise what is missing when its gone. Don't forget clean power too.

As for my experiment... It failed to be simple but at least it is quite 'listenable'.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by b4sound
  • Like 1

Hi guys, the most important question that you need to ask yourselves is if you are happy with the vanilla Sonos playing music?

My Sonos setup started as a bit of an accident simply because someone here on SNA was selling it and I had always been curious what all the fuss was about. It was never intended to be part of my experiment... > to set up a system that is as simple as possible that I could live with.

The Sonos proved to be a predicament from the beginning. I loved how simple it was to set up, its stability as far as wireless technology goes and how friendly its user interface is particular via the iPad. But I just could not like how it sounded yet could not give it up. Whilst it has plenty of detail, I found that the image was too forward and narrow. Imagine you are sitting on the couch with your feet up playing Sophie Zelmani, its like she is so close to you that she could bite your toes. yuck! :P (of course you could enjoy this thought farom a different perspective). I could never listen to it for more than a few tracks before getting agitated. There was nothing natural about it.

First up was a DAC. The Schiit Bifrost managed to move the image back but it still could not make me listen for long. So then came the Synchro Mesh. If you are familiar with reclockers, you would know that it does a few things very well and that includes, separation, 3D, improved timbre on instruments and more natural vocals. This is what the SM does for the Sonos. It may not be that obvious on initial listen but more about getting use to it then you realise what is missing when its gone. Don't forget clean power too.

As for my experiment... It failed to be simple but at least it is quite 'listenable'.

Hope that helps. :)

Great feedback!! Thanks :-)

Like you, with my SBT, I just loved (and still do) its usability, stability, and functionality.. But it is no match in sound quality for my dedicated "music only PC" running jPlay and MK3 Hiface...

So, I am weighing up whether the SM is the way to go?? It's Limited to 96,, so perhaps even the AP2.. (Although my patience for USB interfaces is dwindleing!!)

Thanks

CM

• 1 year later...

Just wondered if anyone has implemented upgrades to their Synchro-Mesh.

I emailed Steve Nugent enquiring on determining whether I had a 44.1 or 96khz model and he was very helpful in his advice, replied almost immediately!

He stated the OTL upgrade($100US) (output transformer) made a big difference and the Dynamo power supply ($699US) made a huge improvement.

Now I could wear blowing $100 but near $800 Aus? - pass

So what's the flavour of the month PSU wise - Is it still Teddy Pardo and it's variants?

Is there a good (sub $300) unit available?