Sydney Audio Club Meeting - Bill Mclean, Maggie 3.7+Sanders Electronics - Sunday 20-May-2012

O.Sydney

The Sunday 20th May meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us once again at Dence Park for an afternoon of fine music and sound and convivial company.

Each month, the Sydney Audio Club presents the finest in high end audio systems for our members and guests. It's a bit like a private audio show once a month where you can hear and discuss equipment that you might not otherwise have the chance to audition. And you can bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

The Sydney Audio Club will have another great system for your listening enjoyment on Sunday 20th May. Bill McLean of McLeans Smarter Home Entertainment will be bringing in a complete system comprised of the following:

Magneplanar 3.7's with aftermarket braced stands – these speakers have been receiving rave reviews around the world and are a noticeable improvement over the famous 3.6’s that they replace.

Dual Magtech Stereo amps (run in mono) – high current amps by Sanders Sound Systems designed to drive Maggies.

Magtech pre-amp

Oppo Multi-media Player

Silver Circle 5.0 power Conditioner

AND… Bill will also be bringing a new, and probably somewhat controversial product from BSG Technologies called the 'qol Signal Completion Stage'. This was reviewed recently in The Absolute Sound by Robert Harley. Although he admitted to being sceptical prior to listening, it took only a brief session to convince him of its merits. See the details here on Bill McLeans’ web site.

As usual, the second half of the music sessions will be BYO. Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all. So bring along your favourite SACD/CD discs to share – sorry, no vinyl this month. All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting. We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played. Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.

Members and Guests welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound. We will welcome you at the door.

Venue: Epping Creative Centre

Address: 26 Stanley St, Epping

When: Sunday 20th May

Doors open at 1pm

Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

Edited by O.Sydney

Must try and get to this one. I'm very keen to hear what Maggies can do.

You'll be preaching to the choir about the Oppo.

Me too, I'm keen on hearing the differences from the 3.6 to the 3.7 Maggies

One thing that intrigues me is the "BSG Technologies called the 'qol Signal Completion Stage"

I've read some info online but still do not understanding it;

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=393:bsg-technologies-qol-signal-completion-stage&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

http://www.mcleans.info/information/news.do?newsId=5892

you guys have any experience with it ?

One thing that intrigues me is the "BSG Technologies called the 'qol Signal Completion Stage"

I've read some info online but still do not understanding it;

http://www.soundstag...eviews&Itemid=4

http://www.mcleans.i....do?newsId=5892

you guys have any experience with it ?

I'll not necessarily going to understand how it works, but I'll be hearing it later today

Yes I'm self quoting

I think Bhobba has one ?

really ? I'd like to know his take on it...

Speaking on my own behalf...

I'm still none the wise about the technology but what I did hear was similar what the reviews had stated.

With trying to moderate the influence of the few db gain it puts out; For the first half of the meet I was sitting in the front row just off the centre.

The XLO disk was played in phase and out, obvious difference particularly the out of phase. (for the better)

With music the central image focus was greater, hard to describe what it did the music... this may sound strange, it was like the low level detail in the music was extracted and brought forward rrrr given more prominence, more room/ performance space ambience.

I might have some bias, as I'm particular to the Maggie sound, the Magtech amp (single stereo) and the 3.7 with Shindo preamp had some of the best sound I've heard in that room, a very large room.

Great imaging, sound stage and depth all there, seamless mids to highs, which the 3.6's do not have out of the box. (but not enough of a difference for me to pull out the wallet, (right now))

The complete system did not have any trouble pumping out clarity, volume and music

I can't remember the name of the DAC thou

I thought everything was played through the Oppo? I was at the back though so couldn't see.

What you were there ?? and no tap on the shoulder

Was that your type of sound in general, what's your thoughts?

If I remember later I'll email Bill re the DAC, there was a good amount of detail retrieval from it

What you were there ?? and no tap on the shoulder

Was that your type of sound in general, what's your thoughts?

If I remember later I'll email Bill re the DAC, there was a good amount of detail retrieval from it

So which one was you?

Hi O, I believe the Dac was the Nufurce.

Yes I think so now that you mention it. I sent Bill an email asking what model as I don't see it on the Nuforce website. It was around $2k apparently

Edit: It was the NuForce DAC9

DAC9 sitting in the middle of all the other components

post-118785-0-75412800-1337928823_thumb.

Edited by O.Sydney