20X2L finally fitted

HI all,

After an unidentified family member (maybe the dog?) permanently modified my Dynavector 10x5 cartridge I took the oppourtunity to throw in some extra dollars and upgrade to the 20x2L. I was pretty happy with the 10x5 so I hesitated a little about whether to spend double the price to go up a model. Well........ I needn't have worried, the 10x5 was a great cartridge, big , chunky, fun cartridge to listen to and left my CD player sitting in standby for several months. The 10x5 was, however, a little too warm for my system and was missing some detail in the top end when compared to my CD player. The 20X2L sounds abslolutely brilliant, tighter cleaner bass, more transparent through the whole frequency range and a lot more air around instruments. It's also completely silent in the groove with very few pops or ticks. I could almost mistake it for a CD player if it didn't sound so good :) . Also my first crack at aligning a cartridge (a fairly un-nerving experience) so wrapped that it all went well.

It's only got about 15hrs on it so far and I'm already blown away by it, so hopefully it'll only get better as it settles in. Also good to see that my modestly priced RPM 5.1 was not put to shame by a cartridge that cost nearly as much as the TT itself. Next upgrade, a P75 phono stage to replace the phonobox ii SE.

Cheers

CJ

Excuse the cheapy camera used for the pics.

post-131601-0-50824800-1336544703_thumb.

post-131601-0-39212700-1336544843_thumb.

post-131601-0-87598600-1336544663_thumb.

Good result CJ. Cart fitting on those Pro-Ject arms is an unnerving experience isnt it.

No doubt!

I think I held my breath for about an hour 'til it was all back together and playing tunes.

I was already without a TT for about a month, didn't want to do that again.

Cheers

CJ

Well done CJ. I've got a 10x5 as well and the 20x2 is on my short list when I actually get around to upgrading the cart. I still haven't got the cohunas to change a cart as I'm generally all thumbs with fidgity things.

Nice buy and congrats on setting up your own cart. It gets a lot easier second time round. :)

Thanks jaspert, hoping there won't be a second time for a while, unless the phantom cartridge mangler makes another appearance.

I only used the dodgey cardboard 2 point protractor that came with the TT, I wouldn't mind getting someting better and have another go at it, althought I'm wrapped with how it sounds now so I'm a little hesitant to mess with it.

Well done CJ. I've got a 10x5 as well and the 20x2 is on my short list when I actually get around to upgrading the cart. I still haven't got the cohunas to change a cart as I'm generally all thumbs with fidgity things.

G'day patjoy, it was certainly a substantial upgrade in my system. I recieved a pretty generous trade in on my old 10x5 considering it was damaged, certainly helped to soften the blow.

Cheers

CJ

Edited by Curly j

Im assuming a giant step up from the 10XL im using. Mines a very warm cart, maybe a bit too much, not a lot of life in the results

Will be interested in your impression from the step up in phono stages aswell, I have the Phonobox SEII, and im thinking its not getting the best out of the cart

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm looking forward to getting hold of a P75, it'll be interesting to see how much of an improvement it brings over the phonobox. There's no stock of the P75 in Aus. for about 8 weeks so it'll give the bank balance a chance to recover.

Im assuming a giant step up from the 10XL im using. Mines a very warm cart, maybe a bit too much, not a lot of life in the results

Will be interested in your impression from the step up in phono stages aswell, I have the Phonobox SEII, and im thinking its not getting the best out of the cart

G'day R&/orR, I had the same thoughts about my 10x5, a touch to warm for my system. My Ambience ribbons are kinda "polite" sounding already, the 20x2l is a much better fit.

Mine has about 30 hours on it and certainly seems to have opened up a lot in the last week. Very happy with it at this stage. :thumb:

Cheers, Pete

post-107252-0-61577700-1336557063_thumb.

Hi Pete, glad your enjoying the Dyna cart too. Hopefully the kids will go to bed soon so I can put some more hours on mine.

Nice photo by the way

Cheers

CJ

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a 20x2H for the Project in the 'other' system

This vinyl/HiFi game is just ridiculous

Just when you think you've heard it all, a simple little change like this comes along and shakes it up again. The detail extracted is stupid, there's so much more going on with Ryan Adams - Gold and Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies. Makes you wonder what else is hidden on recordings.

Again, just stupid. I'm over the moon with the cart but also disappointed that the next best thing could still be a couple hundred bucks away, stupid unrelenting hobby :)

G'day R&R,

I had similar thoughts about my 20x2L. Might just be my favourite HIFi purchase to date. No plans to move the Dyna on any time soon for me. Spent some time last night listening to Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac 45Rpm, sounded great!

Cheers

CJ

I had to send mine back. I thought I had a fault somewhere else in my system but after an extensive system check it turned out the 20X2L was a complete dud.

The stylii was mounted 1/3 of the way across the cantilever and produced what I perceived a closed in and dull sound. I had it measured and viewed under a microscope. Also one channel was lower in output.

I have returned it to HK and just waiting to find out what the seller is prepared to do. In discussions with the seller prior to returning it, he immediately blamed the technician who installed it. I think he will be surprised when he reads the technician's findings which I included with the cartridge.

It's been 2 weeks and still waiting to hear back.

Happy days ahead...... :(

All sorted now. The seller refunded my money.

I decided not to try another 20X2L as some of the recent posts on other forums suggested the same opinion as mine. :(

I have a Goldring Elite on the way, which I am led to believe is an outstanding cartridge. Hopefully I will feel the same way?? ;)