Rega Brio-r and Krix Lyrix speakers..should I change

Hi all

Call it upgradeitis, the nagging doubt there is always something better or a search for higher purpose but I can't help wondering if my floorstanding Krix Lyrix are the best match for my newly acquired Rega brio-r and Rega DAC. I LOVE my rega's and I used to LOVE and still do my Krix Lyrix speakers (purchased over 10 years ago - since superseeded my "Phoenix"). Should I just stop here :confused:

I was fortunate in that I was forced to upgrade my previous amp (a Rotel) when it blew.

However am I imagining it or do I hear the bass and mids being sucked through honey rather than being immediate and clear (I obviously can't speak audiophile) to do the rega's justice? Can the rega drive the Krix? Is there a loudspeaker that would bring me significant improvement in a similar price bracket (~$2k?)

Can someone advise me on (a) whether it's all in my head and I should just be happy with what I have saving myself some hard earned cash or (B) is there floorstanding loudspeaker that would make me happier...?

Audition music;

Primal Scream - Screamadellica (anniversary edition)

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Dynamo Productions - Get it Together

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always something better, but only you can decide if you are happy with what you have.

I would also suggest expanding your range of audition music somewhat to include a greater range of music types. Not telling you what to listen to, but a greater diversity of music might be a good idea for auditioning. Maybe burn a CD of selected tracks (that's what I did).

Hi all

Call it upgradeitis, the nagging doubt there is always something better or a search for higher purpose but I can't help wondering if my floorstanding Krix Lyrix are the best match for my newly acquired Rega brio-r and Rega DAC. I LOVE my rega's and I used to LOVE and still do my Krix Lyrix speakers (purchased over 10 years ago - since superseeded my "Phoenix"). Should I just stop here :confused:

I was fortunate in that I was forced to upgrade my previous amp (a Rotel) when it blew.

However am I imagining it or do I hear the bass and mids being sucked through honey rather than being immediate and clear (I obviously can't speak audiophile) to do the rega's justice? Can the rega drive the Krix? Is there a loudspeaker that would bring me significant improvement in a similar price bracket (~$2k?)

Can someone advise me on (a) whether it's all in my head and I should just be happy with what I have saving myself some hard earned cash or ( :cool: is there floorstanding loudspeaker that would make me happier...?

Audition music;

Primal Scream - Screamadellica (anniversary edition)

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Dynamo Productions - Get it Together

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Awesome audition music !! - sorry I don't have the answer to your question, therefore I have not added any value to your request - thats me over & out :)

I have owned a pair and heard several different Krix speakers and have always found them very even tempered and reliable. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz there are a host of speakers in your budget a tad more exciting than Krix. Monitor Audio RX's or Richter Wizards are a good start but there are heaps others worth a listen.

Most Krix speakers are about as interesting as watching paint dry or listening to grass growing, except for the Neuphonix,which sound akin to a brace of AK 47s fired in unison at the unsuspecting listener.

There are many good speakers that work very well indeed with the Rega Brio-R, especially the Orpheus Apollos and the Monitor Audio RX6, both of which are superbly musical with the Brio and a decent source. However, by no means are these the only choices that would work well.

I recommended these because I know from personal experience that these speakers will sound great with thew Brio -R on virtually any music you may care to listen to. They don't actually sound alike, but they are examples of two quite differently voiced speakers, using differing technology but achieving a great result in each case.

All the best with controlling the upgradeitis, most people here have been battling with it for years :)

Most Krix speakers are about as interesting as watching paint dry or listening to grass growing, except for the Neuphonix,which sound akin to a brace of AK 47s fired in unison at the unsuspecting listener.

Really?, that sounds a bit harsh (no pun intended)? I loved my Krix's in my original, albeit budget, system but I have to admit I haven't listened to many speakers so interested to get recommendations.

There are many good speakers that work very well indeed with the Rega Brio-R, especially the Orpheus Apollos and the Monitor Audio RX6, both of which are superbly musical with the Brio and a decent source. However, by no means are these the only choices that would work well.

I recommended these because I know from personal experience that these speakers will sound great with thew Brio -R on virtually any music you may care to listen to. They don't actually sound alike, but they are examples of two quite differently voiced speakers, using differing technology but achieving a great result in each case.

All the best with controlling the upgradeitis, most people here have been battling with it for years :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have owned a pair and heard several different Krix speakers and have always found them very even tempered and reliable. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz there are a host of speakers in your budget a tad more exciting than Krix. Monitor Audio RX's or Richter Wizards are a good start but there are heaps others worth a listen.

I know my requirements were a bit open ended but was kinda hoping you'd all cure my upgraditis and tell me it's all ok.. :)

Hi K3.

I was a bit over the top with my remarks on the Krix and it was intended mainly as humour. If you are happy with the overall result you are hearing in your system then stick with it for a while. The best way to go is to audition some new speakers every so often and when you find one that really sounds special,you could upgrade in that case, but having said that I definitely think you would enjoy the system more with some better speakers and the two speakers I mentioned do work particularly well with the Brio.

Good luck with it.

Hi K3.

I was a bit over the top with my remarks on the Krix and it was intended mainly as humour. If you are happy with the overall result you are hearing in your system then stick with it for a while. The best way to go is to audition some new speakers every so often and when you find one that really sounds special,you could upgrade in that case, but having said that I definitely think you would enjoy the system more with some better speakers and the two speakers I mentioned do work particularly well with the Brio.

Good luck with it.

Great, thanks for convincing me I need to start auditioning again...I think.. ;). Will definitely check out the two you mentioned as a start. If anyone else has been through the ringer of matching a brio-r to a speaker I would love to hear.

Guest 322

Where did you buy the Rega kit from ?

if you purchased them from a bricks & mortar store perhaps go back there and ask them what they recommend and have a listen....

Edited by 322

Hi k3,

Just to put a bit of perspective on your speakers, keep in mind that for whatever reason Krix is a brand that seems to attractive a lot of negative comments on this site.

I have a pair of Lyrix at home myself and have owned them for around 13 years and they have been great. I have upgraded them now and sure there are better speakers out there, but I do not believe they deserve the harsh criticism they often receive here.

If you are set on a new set of speakers don't rule out second hand from here. I bought mine that way and have been very happy with them.

Edited by Dasher

I have a pair of Lyrix at home myself and have owned them for around 13 years and they have been great. I have upgraded them now and sure there are better speakers out there, but I do not believe they deserve the harsh criticism they often receive here.

If you are set on a new set of speakers don't rule out second hand from here. I bought mine that way and have been very happy with them.

Thanks Dasher - can I ask what you upgraded to - we may have similar listening tastes?

Thanks Dasher - can I ask what you upgraded to - we may have similar listening tastes?

I bought a set of second hand Zu Druids that were advertised on SNA. I have actually bought a few things second hand on here and have to say have never been disappointed with the condition. Most people on here are a little fanatical about their gear so it is well looked after and you can find some great bargains.

A cure to upgraditis? Does such powerful medicine exist and will it cure sidegraditis too?

Medicinal marijuana, will make even your clock radio sound amazing.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The OP may be sorted by now, but I can add that the Dynaudio Excite X12's play very nicely with the Brio-R. As do the Usher S520's.

I agree 100%.

I had the chance to hear the little Excite X12 recently and they are a great little standmount. TBH, they were far better than I expected, but then again, Dyns are pretty solid through the model range and always a brand that can be recommended confidently

I agree 100%.

I had the chance to hear the little Excite X12 recently and they are a great little standmount. TBH, they were far better than I expected, but then again, Dyns are pretty solid through the model range and always a brand that can be recommended confidently

The X12's are quite the overachiever. They're the smallest standmounts I've owned, but put out the biggest and cleanest bass compared to almost all the others I've owned - that list includes:

- MA BX2 Bronze

- Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

- Usher S520

- Proac Studio 110

The only ones I've heard with better bass was the Dynaudio DM 2/7, but they're twice the size. I expect the incoming RX2's will be strong in that area also... :P

Krix is a lot better than what many here believe. I had several and still have some. Bad news is that the itch never stops.

On the other hand why change?

If you do have the itch, wait for the right ones on the forum or ebay.

Believe it or not I still have the Krix Lyrix. I still love them. I went through a period of wanting to listen to others but I got distracted and I think re-evaluated mine and reaIised how much I like them. I will get around to listening to the suggestions above someday.

BTW I am interested in how many standmounts were recommended above. Having floorstanders I can't see how standmounts can ever match particularly for bass. Is that fair?

Really? Care to explain..is there some characteristic you don't like?

Sorry, bad wording on my part. I've owned and listened to many good standmounts. However, floorstanders aren't an option for me in my current residence, so I haven't bothered auditioning any. So what I meant was, I've not heard real bass before and so I don't really know what I'm missing by just using standmounts.

Hope that makes more sense!

Edited by twwen2

Sorry, bad wording on my part. I've owned and listened to many good standmounts. However, floorstanders aren't an option for me in my current residence, so I haven't bothered auditioning any. So what I meant was, I've not heard real bass before and so I don't really know what I'm missing by just using standmounts.

Hope that makes more sense!

gotcha - you had me worried there for a while...