Sign in to follow this  
h2oxide

RCA to XLR Adapter or XLR Cable?

I currently own some Chord RCA interconnects and I'm contemplating buying a few RCA to XLR adapters rather than buy whole new XLR cables to save some money and time.

Does anyone have any objection to this? Am I losing out on anything buying an adapter rather than a whole XLR cable?

I'm fine with adapters but larger ones can stress the case mounted sockets.

Some might say that every mechanical connection has a chance of inducing losses, among other things.

If you use adapters, you aren't getting the benefit of the balanced architecture.

If you use adapters, you aren't getting the benefit of the balanced architecture.

I thought he knew that.

I didn't thanks for clearing that up.

So in that case, this

http://www.cablechic...le-to-male.html

would be better than my Chord interconnects even though they're much cheaper?

If all your gear can work on balanced lines...................I say yes.

to get any benefit the gear needs to be fully balanced. the Plinius I believe is not . adaptors are fine.

Frankly the OP should just use the rca inputs as that will be a more direct connection at the amp and not having to use adaptors.

cheers

Everyone says make your own.

Belden make pretty good cables, and you can use your own Neutrik XLR connectors.

I guess it depends on your budget. If you can find them, there were some "Shenzhen/Chinese/Hong Kong" Audioquest Sky cables circulating that I thought were quite good. It wasn't as good as say my Silversmith XLRs but I find them pretty good overall. And for like 200 bucks for a 1.5m run, quite reasonable. A few friends who've done some comparison said they sounded very close to the real thing.

I am a big fan of ASI Liveline interconnects now.

to get any benefit the gear needs to be fully balanced. the Plinius I believe is not . adaptors are fine.

Frankly the OP should just use the rca inputs as that will be a more direct connection at the amp and not having to use adaptors.

cheers

Oh well if I'm not going to reap the benefits of using balanced because the Plinius isn't I won't worry about it.

Thanks mate

Oh well if I'm not going to reap the benefits of using balanced because the Plinius isn't I won't worry about it.

Thanks mate

correct, a waste of time. enjoy the rca's you have now. They will sound better than a one balanced input tacked onto the amp for marketing sake I assume.

cheers

Cheers mate appreciate the help, guess I won't need this thread anymore

I guess it also depends on the system you use it on.

Some equipment sound better when outputting on the XLR outputs so even if they are partnered to SE preamp, I've found they still sound better over the XLR inputs of the SE preamp.

ps I thought you were getting the Bel Canto Pre3VB? That is a true balanced design.

The Plinius Hautonga ended up being the more affordable/easier option in the end, not to mention its synergy with Dyn speakers.

Being an old fart...........I can remember when XLR's were called Cannon plugs!

Being an old fart...........I can remember when XLR's were called Cannon plugs!

Hey, they're still called canon plugs at JB Hifi ;)