Your comparing oranges with apples.

Pro trained vs Amateur singer

Compressed / edited / formatted / EQ'ed & recorded & re-recorded using high quality recording mics in a studio vs sung live with a dynamic stage mic.

Personally, I'll wait for the polished studio album to appear before making any hard & fast judgements.

Very few singers I've heard live are able to match their studio quality voice recording and sound like they do on an album.

Ayou, just look at the Stevie Nicks/US Voice Winner clip posted a while ago in this thread. Not compressed/edited/formatted, etc, etc, but live.

It's not about polish, it's about basic musical instinct and intelligence, and I'm afraid she hasn't got it.

Harsh, but true, I'm afraid.

I like Stevie Nicks voice & I agree it is a better version from her, but Its her song. She must have sung that & listened back on it a thousand times.

The US voice winner just sounded to me like another dime a dozen african american (assumption) guy who can sing. Its a pretty inherent talent amongst members of society of African origin.

I like Stevie Nicks voice & I agree it is a better version from her, but Its her song. She must have sung that & listened back on it a thousand times.

The US voice winner just sounded to me like another dime a dozen african american (assumption) guy who can sing. Its a pretty inherent talent amongst members of society of African origin.

1.) I imagine there are plenty of African people who cannot sing to save themselves.

2.) "who can sing" is the point.

She really has to do something about her breathing. She breathes in all the wrong places, unfortunately.

And singing is not about shouting, she is very rough.

This is better than the Fleetwood Mac cover, but it is still not very good. She has a very small conception of the arc of the musical phrase, and she is very choppy.

It is possible that something could be done for her if she were prepared to forget everything she thought she knew and start again.

Sorry, but if you heard her busquing on a street corner, you wouldn't stop to listen.

It's all in the Greek chorus provided.

With people screaming and yelling, and Seal looking as though he's just about to experience some cross between an orgasm and a crap, one's critical faculties are in danger of going out the window.

You may not stop and listen.....but 95 out of 100 people would….as demonstrated by the ratings.

Some of your comments may be technically correct...and only some….but I am so happy a production line, metronome timed, stomach breathing, operatically coached heartless, soulless drone has NOT made the final four.

I am a trained singer, and I do appreciate correct breathing and annunciation in particular, but I will take a song that is sung from the heart with passion, power and soul any day….as long as it is in tune and pitch.

I want to be entertained…both Karise Eden and Sarah De Bono push all my buttons…I will go and see them live and I bet I am not bored stiff…but then again I am sure my music collection is totally different to yours And that is what makes the world go round…… hallelujah….Rob

PS Karise Eden has had a tougher life than most, and she's only 19 years old. A State ward who grew up living in more than 20 refuges, this once very shy girl found music after being fostered to a loving family who owned a music store.

• Like 1

Yep but Rob, it's not in tune.

And I am not talking about opera singing, I'm talking about a decent voice and musical intelligence.

Listen to any pop, soul, blues singer and they will do it.

Where did you train, Rob?

Yep but Rob, it's not in tune.

And I am not talking about opera singing, I'm talking about a decent voice and musical intelligence.

Listen to any pop, soul, blues singer and they will do it.

Where did you train, Rob?

All the same, if she was busking on a street corner, I think I'd stop and listen..............maybe even request a JJ song. :)

Well, while Karise's voice/style is not for me, I'm not surprised that she won, and I'm very happy for her.

She will improve, and that will be a bonus for those that have a preference for the type of voice she has.

Congrats to all four in the finals :thumb:

Edit:Typo

Edited by datafone

Brittany had the best voice but was sabotaged by being made to sing that Silverchair crap.

She has sublime tone.

What a shame.

Rachel would be my pick of the rest.

There is a famous music clip of Janis singing, I think, Cry baby at the Isle of White concert and we see a brief catch of Mama Cass being blown away by Janis' voice - I felt the same when listening to almost every performance by Karise.

Moving stuff!.

Now where can i get my musical entertainment as good as this now that the show has finished?

• Like 1

we were watching it on delay, zooming through the ads. what a show the voice has been.

I must say I have been moved by karise's music. amazing.... although have liked quite a few singers along the way... am not at all suprised she won :)

• Like 2

Brittany had the best voice but was sabotaged by being made to sing that Silverchair crap.

She has sublime tone.

What a shame.

Rachel would be my pick of the rest.

Hehe...Rachel would have been my pick too :) and that is based on her singing only, tonality is something that takes precedence for myself.

Not taking anything away from Karise, but her voice irritates me, as Janis's always did for me.

I find it interesting the differing preferences here, I guess It's no different to what we see in our choice of music amongst us.

I'll be purchasing Rachael's next CD, oh wait! I only spin vinyl, even though I have 130 LPs and over 300 CDs :mad:

No way is the show going to inspire me to buy any equipment, so I'm lost on that one FF :confused: and most of the folk that are downloading those tracks fro iTunes are perfectly happy with compressed audio played via an iPod *sighs*

Edit: Hmm...i may have to write to Rachael and plead with her for a limited vinyl release :love

Edited by datafone

Meh, I couldn't bring myself to signing up with iTunes, don't like the system, and would have to play it through PC speakers, and the downloads are in compressed format...no?

I'll be purchasing Rachael's next CD, oh wait! I only spin vinyl, even though I have 130 LPs and over 300 CDs :mad:

No way is the show going to inspire me to buy any equipment, so I'm lost on that one FF :confused: and most of the folk that are downloading those tracks fro iTunes are perfectly happy with compressed audio played via an iPod *sighs*

Edit: Hmm...i may have to write to Rachael and plead with her for a limited vinyl release :love

+1,

dont care what she brings out Im buying th CD regardless, Go Rachael! :)

Oh BTW she's blind so you are going to have to email that plea in braille :P

Meh, I couldn't bring myself to signing up with iTunes, don't like the system, and would have to play it through PC speakers, and the downloads are in compressed format...no?

it's 256k acc plus (itunes plus) which is pretty damn good for in car/ background music or listening on the iPod. They're only $1.69 a track for the odd track here and there so not busting the economy. not sure they'll release the show tracks on cd. If they do I'll check them out :)

Ayou, just look at the Stevie Nicks/US Voice Winner clip posted a while ago in this thread. Not compressed/edited/formatted, etc, etc, but live.

It's not about polish, it's about basic musical instinct and intelligence, and I'm afraid she hasn't got it.

Harsh, but true, I'm afraid.

But you are comparing a middle aged professional singer who's been doing it for 30 years AND singing a song she wrote herself to a 19 year old kid who's never sung professionally and had a week to learn the song (boring song and a bad choice for her as would "Stay with me baby" be for Stevie Nicks).

So, give the kid a break. I'm sure Ms Nicks started as a raw talent at some stage...

Cheers

M

Edited by unclemack

But you are comparing a middle aged professional singer who's been doing it for 30 years AND singing a song she wrote herself to a 19 year old kid who's never sung professionally and had a week to learn the song (boring song and a bad choice for her as would "Stay with me baby" be for Stevie Nicks).

So, give the kid a break. I'm sure Ms Nicks started as a raw talent at some stage...

Cheers

M

Yes, I know, and she has a great story, it is just my view that she, along with all the rest of these talent competition singers will be nothing but a memory in 5 years. She will release one album, and that will be it.

If you want youthful talent, look at early Kasey Chambers, or even (horror of horrors, because their music is totally unappealing to me), Donny and Marie Osmond.

Or the young Joan Baez.

All those people had musical intelligence, and innate musical taste and an ear, and it really has nothing to do with training or experience.

Why bury them already...

Let them be what they can be....

And who knows what they will be..,

Maybe I take things at face value. Liked quite a few performances. Liked what I heard. that's enough for me. The future will be what it will be if like their music I'll buy it. If I don't I won't be buying.....