Cockroach poo in my bass drivers!

I purchased a pair of second hand, Aaron Paragon P-3 Speakers a few weeks ago. Previous owner had them in storage for approx 10 years.

post-122082-0-34966200-1334122473_thumb.

After running them at a moderate to high volume, I noticed a strange sound coming from the bass drivers at low volume, sounded similar to when i fried my 15" subwoofer voice coils in past years. I was really starting to become quite concerned & thought the worst. :(:confused:

So i ripped out the bass drivers for a quick look (not that you can see anything internally) and to my surprise i heard something small rolling around inside the dust cap area. I gave one a shake and out came cockroach poo! Up to 15 pieces in one driver! So i did the same with the other drivers with the same result.

post-122082-0-23038100-1334122179_thumb.post-122082-0-23334000-1334122268_thumb.post-122082-0-92840100-1334122565_thumb.

It seems the previous owner didn't plug the bass ports when stored for all those years and the little buggers found a nice home inside the drivers, via the VC vent holes on the drivers rear. High volume was just enough to loosen the cocky poo & bounce around like little beads in the dust cap area.

I re-installed the drivers & all is well, with no strange sounds, just good sounding bass. :thumb: Anyone wanting to store speakers! just make sure ya plug those port holes.

Edited by Mushroom01

I know there's a good joke here somewhere.

All I can think of is auditioning high end speakers at a posh hi-fi shop and suggesting that the sound isn't what it should be and then asking them to check for cockroach poo.

Guest dingo

Can the cockypoo be obtained from my local hifi dealer, and does it come in silver or gold termination coatings. Damn, I'm guessing the price will now soar. Makes my vanilla variety dust look tacky and lofi by comparison.

Severely jealous, Dingo.

• 7 years later...
On 11/04/2012 at 3:42 PM, Mushroom01 said:

I purchased a pair of second hand, Aaron Paragon P-3 Speakers a few weeks ago. Previous owner had them in storage for approx 10 years.

post-122082-0-34966200-1334122473_thumb.

After running them at a moderate to high volume, I noticed a strange sound coming from the bass drivers at low volume, sounded similar to when i fried my 15" subwoofer voice coils in past years. I was really starting to become quite concerned & thought the worst. :(:confused:

So i ripped out the bass drivers for a quick look (not that you can see anything internally) and to my surprise i heard something small rolling around inside the dust cap area. I gave one a shake and out came cockroach poo! Up to 15 pieces in one driver! So i did the same with the other drivers with the same result.

post-122082-0-23038100-1334122179_thumb.post-122082-0-23334000-1334122268_thumb.post-122082-0-92840100-1334122565_thumb.

It seems the previous owner didn't plug the bass ports when stored for all those years and the little buggers found a nice home inside the drivers, via the VC vent holes on the drivers rear. High volume was just enough to loosen the cocky poo & bounce around like little beads in the dust cap area.

I re-installed the drivers & all is well, with no strange sounds, just good sounding bass. :thumb: Anyone wanting to store speakers! just make sure ya plug those port holes.

Hi Mushroom,

Been a periodic lurker on this site for a good while now and usually find my answer, but not for this one.

I have a bunch of Aarons, but have never seen these ones and going off the Pre 2008 PDF, they are not listed as having two 8in drivers, but only one.  Just wondering how they compare with the ATS5's, in case you have sampled both?

Thanks, Bryce