ProAc 1S clones - ze clones have landed!

They are fairly well finished at this price point, but are not an actual timber veneer. Mine also had a peculiar smell for the first few months - I think it was the veneer finish or paint off-gassing. Who knows what I was breathing in!!

Im sure that is part of the speakers feature to enjoy the music in 'heavenly' tone :P

The crossovers in my clones use far better components than the 1S and 1SC speakers (nice inductors, better capacitors and resistors etc) so it just goes to show how manufacturers can manage to derive nice sounding speakers with the right combination of budget components! I'd love to muck around further with the crossover, but I don't have the time nor budget at present (and have yet to purchase speaker measurement equipment and software).

:-)    Just goes to show that the amount of the L, C or R in a crossover is a zillion times more important than the type or brand of the component

• Like 1

:-) Just goes to show that the amount of the L, C or R in a crossover is a zillion times more important than the type or brand of the component

Very true!!

I've recently acquired a new pair of main speakers and have been contemplating a crossover upgrade. However, unless I pull out the inductance meter and check both the inductance and resistance of the inductors before replacing them, as well as the ESR of the electroytic caps used in the notch filters and whatnot, there's a bit of risk involved with wholesale component changes. Simply throwing in boutique parts without measuring said parameters is a bit of a crapshoot.

My other option is to drag them to henry218's place for proper measurement and a crossover re-design! ;)

Edited by pete_mac

• 6 years later...

Looks like I'm quite late to the party.  I bought a pair of these from HK in late 2010 and carried them back to Adelaide in check in luggage.  I still haven't put anywhere close to 600 hours on them......

I've been moving house recently and got these back out again and currently using them as a desktop system.  They sound lovely.  Not sure whether I will keep these or my Celestion SL6S.

Mine had the tweeter polarity reversed by Edward of Ascension speakers.  I blew a woofer and got a replacement sent over.  He probably wasn't aware you had to put the tweeter on the inside.  I'd be interested to see how much of an effect this makes - if anyone has a pair Adelaide we can do some A/B that would be quite interesting!