Reciever upgrade- Pioneer or Sony?

Hi guys, brand new here, so please be gentle.

I know diddly about HT, other than what little I have read, so please speak up if you think I have missed any HT basics. I usually live in vintage audio land.

I want/need to upgrade my home theatre reciever. I have just bought home a new Sony BDP-S580 to go with my Sony KDL40EX720 screen. My old Pioneer reciever coped well up to now. I can only use the anolouge outs on the player, as the reciever only has anolouge in. No, not even an optical input. Trouble is, the reciever can't cope and has such a delay that the movie looks dubbed.

I am very impressed with the sony gear I own so far, but I'm a pioneer fan, and have been for a long time. I can't afford a Kuro, so settled for a Sony. I'm looking at the entry level to mid range price tag.

I really like the way the bravia stuff syncs together, one remote and all that. I have found a good price on a STR-DH520, but, quite frankly, its ugly. Some reviews I have seen say it does not support the high end codecs, but others contradict that.

I like the VSX range from Pioneer and even the entry level 521 seems like a nice unit (and looks better than the sony) for around the same price (give or take a bit)

I can't afford anything in the 800 -1000 model range from either maker, so I guess I'm stuck with the lower models.

I know the Sony will be compatable with the screen and player and should let me veiw 3D (if their advertising is correct) (with optional $100+ glasses), but it just seems like a lesser unit than what that money can buy.

Should I go for a Pioneer and risk compatability issues, or go the ugly Sony and use one remote??

Any discussion welcome. Thanks, Darth (aussiedan)

My suggestion will be to look at a 2nd hand receiver like Integra 7.8 which can be had for around $600 and buy a 1 in 2 out switch for around $40. Integra 7.8 is substantially better than the cheapies you mentioned and it does not lack any sound track decoding feature newer receivers have but it lacks 3D support. Using a 1 in 2 out switch allow you to feed the 1 output to the receiver and other to the TV.

Thanks Jliang70, I've been thinking about what you said, and I guess the biggie for me is my budget.

I have to balance the need to update my antiquated HT, with the use it will get. I have 2 kids, and playschool in 7.1 is'nt anyones idea of fun, including my kids- they just don't appreciate good sound- yet!! I think anymore than $450 (the Sony) is a waste, for me (I'd prefer to buy a vintage tube amp with the money!)

I had a look for the unit you mentioned, but couldn't find one. I'll keep my eyes open for one, but the sony looks like the front runner, more so from a compatability side of things. I reckon I can screw a bit out of the sony given I have the matching TV and BDP. It should open it up a little. But I found a VSX-521 for under $300 today. :blink: ??

Surely ya gotta go for scratch and dent pioneer if ya want a cheap unit.

http://shop.pioneer.com.au/category/catalog/home-entertainment/amplifier-and-receiver

Check the terms and conditions, I've not bought from there, but looks right up your alley darth vader.

Another options is the denon 1312

http://audiotrends.com.au/Denon_AVR_1312_Black.html?action=viewProduct&itemId=1075

Can vouch for the denon sounding better than a similar price ranged pioneer.

Denon 1311 sounds better than the pioneer vsx919, I own both, totally sure of this!

Thanks peachwise, you have really messed it up for me now! I had not even thought of looking there, I used to go there all the time for a peek. They have some pretty bloody good prices there. That puts a cat amongst the pidgeons.

I was in the process of negotiating a better price on the sony, but I don't think they will get close to the scratch and dint stuff.

Off for another think now...

Thanks Jliang70, I've been thinking about what you said, and I guess the biggie for me is my budget.

I have to balance the need to update my antiquated HT, with the use it will get. I have 2 kids, and playschool in 7.1 is'nt anyones idea of fun, including my kids- they just don't appreciate good sound- yet!! I think anymore than $450 (the Sony) is a waste, for me (I'd prefer to buy a vintage tube amp with the money!)

I had a look for the unit you mentioned, but couldn't find one. I'll keep my eyes open for one, but the sony looks like the front runner, more so from a compatability side of things. I reckon I can screw a bit out of the sony given I have the matching TV and BDP. It should open it up a little. But I found a VSX-521 for under $300 today. :blink: ??

There are plenty of AV gears on sale in DTV forum and have a look at that forum. There is a unit currently on sale although the seller has not determined a final price but around $6xx would be a good price and similar unit sold for that sort of price. Remember this is a $2500 unit when new and from build quality and sound quality view point much superior than $300 Pioneer or $450 Sony you are likely to find on the market. If I am in the market I would certainly make an enquiry to the seller.

Well, it's done. Thanks peachwise.

I got a Pioneer VSX-520 (not 521 like I thought) for the princly sum of $212.40. Has 3D pass through, and a host of other BOTL functions,lol!

But, if the kids trash or thrash it, not big blow to the pocket.

Sony could have had the deal, but the rings to jump through and privacy terms they wanted me to agree to, and the fact I couldn't ring any info about stock or prices without using grannys old mangel, well it was all just too hard.

I know I'm only playing at the entry level, but hey, at the price for the VSX, I reckon I could flip it if I cant get the funtionality I want. It does have 3D pass through, so I reckon the 'bay buyers would snap it up for what I paid for it. I feel pretty happy, I got a reciever for the same price (well, 40 cents swinging)as 2 pairs of 3D glasses.

And no freight!!!

(one left!)

Sorry Jliang70 I missed the chance to veiw your reply, posted while posting.

I am a collector of all things Pioneer, vintage wise, so I have a soft spot for that brand. This is what swayed me.

So I don't know if I got $499 worth of Pioneer gear, or $212 worth of it. One month ago, thats what I was looking at for the same amp. Made the $450 sony cheaper than it.

But I'll swing by the DTV forum and poke my head in the door.

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a change of plans. I bought the Pioneer, but I had all the remote in-compatability issues I was expecting. I could have shelled out a bit more for a higher spec Pioneer with Ipad/Itouch remote, or got a universal remote and lost years off my life trying to programe it (my brain is pretty simple, version 1.0), but that made my head hurt just thinking about it.

Anyway, my rant is leading to the fact I ended up buying a Sony reciever at a not too bad price, and even though the Sony can't touch the Pioneer sound wise, it does fit well with the rest of my gear and the remote/remotes all work real well together, so the Pioneer is up for sale via the bay.

So in the end, Sony won out. Not too sure if I'm happy with that, being a Pioneer freak.

My opinion, if you really enjoy your home theater, don't settle for a entry level unit, or even some of these mid range units are questionable at times.

Another thing, don't go just by the name of the product anymore, as with alot of audio related products, just because a company made a name for itself 30 something years ago or whatever, doesn't mean they are the same today as they were then.

My opinion, if you really enjoy your home theater, don't settle for a entry level unit, or even some of these mid range units are questionable at times.

Another thing, don't go just by the name of the product anymore, as with alot of audio related products, just because a company made a name for itself 30 something years ago or whatever, doesn't mean they are the same today as they were then.

I'm only just starting to enjoy it TL, hpoefully, I can enjoy it enough to justify upgrading once I work out what a good upgrade would be. I think my vintage speakers could do with a look at. The entry level system is outrunning them.

But it certanly ain't no 2 ch system. My old tube amp sounds way sweeter.

'Not too sure if I'm happy with that, being a Pioneer freak. '

You really should see a doctor.............................. Darth Vader

Cheers Chewie

Have. He said its uncureable.