Sign in to follow this  
djmoose

Opinions on Arcam Amplifiers

I took an Arcam A28 home for an audition a few years ago, when I was looking to upgrade from an NAD C320BEE. The A28 was BORING. Nothing had any life or colour.

It could just be that model, or it could just be me. I ended up buying a Rega Elicit.

Thanks Kdoot. At least some people get it. Also, it isn't just you and it isn't just that model. All Arcam gear is colourless, but it is safe and many people are happy with that. The UK produces some of the very best audio components in the world..............Arcam is not on the list unless grey and beige are your life colours.

I could not agree more and this segues into what I expressed in my original post which some took objection to, but your post has more truth and less sarcasm

Edited by rantan

Hey Guys I have started looking to buy a new system and to go with the new Rega RP6 and Bower and Wilkins CM8's I have been recommended an Arcam Amp. I mainly listen to Metal, my girlfriend listens to deep techno and we both love everything from Elvis through to Talking Heads.... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance B)

For that type of music I would suggest serious power. I think the Emotiva monoblocks would be the go at 200W per channel and only $349 each:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/ultra-series/products/upa1

There are some 500W versions available at $999 each but I don't think that extra power is really worth the extra cost.

Thanks

Bill

My first 'real' amp was Arcam FMJ 32 (well not sure whether the model number is correct!!), then I sold it and bought Musical Fidelity gear.

As mentioned elsewhere they are decent little amps but don't have the guts for electronic or metal music.

Now I am a happy valve-head!!!

Depends to a large extent on what speakers you have, of course. I first heard my current model DCXs playing with an Arcam amp at VAF's showrooms. Sounded pretty good, certainly didn't lack any oomph to my ears. Currently listening to my DCXs with my trusty Musical Fidelity E11 and am very happy. Nicely balanced sound, smooth sounding top end and midrange with plenty of detail, and certainly enough oomph at the bottom end for my ears. As with all things though, ymmv.

PS: I should mention that I am talking stereo here. (Only just realised this thread is in the AV Receivers section.)

Edited by emesbee

absolutely its going to matter what speaker you use any amp with. if its av receivers we're talking about the arcam avrs are probably some of the very grunty avrs on the market. and honestly rated too ! unlike the majority of mass market ones that are stupidly over rated in power claims if you believe that sort of thing ! but ofcourse like any av receiver you can do better than the built in amps with separate standalone power amplifiers. but youd expect that too, I would have thought :rolleyes:

been 10 years since i looked at arcam

1 it seemed overpriced for the SQ it delivered

2 seemed underpowered

3 bit like driving a volvo estate safe and secure

did we ever get the model # from OP?

I had both the AA9 and AA10. Both were 2nd hand when I got them. I used 1 as a pre and biamped. I later bought an Electra Theatre 2nd Hand from Trevor Lee and used the 9 as the pre and biamped some original VAF DC-X. I never had a problem with the AA9 or AA10 but the Electra Theater did obvious give much greater bang for your buck. The AA always sound smooth to me and were easy to listen to. I sold them both and bought a Yamaha RX1900 to use as a pre with the ET.

Regards Cazzesman

The opinions on Arcam are entirely subjective. One person's boring amplifier is another's great all-rounder, capable of reproducing a large range of source material well and/or providing an easy listen over long periods. Some amps are probably more suited to certain types of music than others, I suppose. Perhaps some views on Arcam on this thread are similar to an attack on one's personal taste in music. Just a thought...

yeah I agree, same as saying under powered. well theyre arent big bruisers weighing 50-60 kg and doubling as arc welders. more designed for subtlety and in my opinion work perfectly well with stand mounts and smaller floorstanders the arcams have come across. the av receivers which is likely what we are talking about in this subforum are actually some of the gruntiest ! for the category I have come across ! certainly even their smaller hifi amps with very decent amp stages and certainly well supported with power supplies to deliver on their power claims. which is more can be said for lot of the mass market stuff the arcams are unstandbly priced above. in any regard things like price will always be down to personal value judgements. one person will think theyre worth what they sell for others will feel some other stuff better value. :)

Edited by stephenj

I have an Arcam AVR300 HT receiver and think it's great - the -ve comments don't apply to the AVR300 IMHO - also has the benefit of bi-amping in stereo mode

ALW