Sign in to follow this  
djmoose

Opinions on Arcam Amplifiers

Hey Guys I have started looking to buy a new system and to go with the new Rega RP6 and Bower and Wilkins CM8's I have been recommended an Arcam Amp. I mainly listen to Metal, my girlfriend listens to deep techno and we both love everything from Elvis through to Talking Heads.... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :P

If you could be more specific ie model, we may be able to give an answer, plus if you are looking for other ideas a price range would be cool too. :P

Just sold my arcam gear........too smooth for rock and metal!

Try rotel!!

I dunno, I'm gonna swim against the tide and say I was very impressed with the A38.....

yep same here, have a good respect for arcam gear both in the amps and in the source gear :P

Thumbs down from me for Arcam unless you:

1. Have quite efficient speakers

2.Only play Kenny Rogers and Englebert Humperdink[ if that is how you spell it ]

3. Think Billy Joel is edgy and risky

4.Need a brand that seems safe and doesn't look threatening.

5.Want your music to sound homogenised.

6. Don't mind paying a premium for Pioneer level performance

7.Want something that you think is still made in England.

8. Are not into audio but need to impress the folk at the bowl-o

9. Bought it for 10% of the original RRP at Cashies and don't care that it may be stolen.

10.Just like it for some odd reason that you CBF explaining.

:P:):)

2.Only play Kenny Rogers and Englebert Humperdink[ if that is how you spell it ]

It's Engelbert Humperdinck.

And why Arcam amplifiers would suit his music more than any other composer I can not imagine.

My answer is that I am unsure but I heard one of his songs once and thought it was appropriate. My apologies for being one letter out, but I am obviously an ignorant bogan

I am also assuming its OK to have a little bit of fun 'round here sometimes:)

So am I.:P

I suspect you may not have visited the link.

It's all good mate, we were both havin' a go .:P:)

Cheers.

I use the Arcam AVR 600 but if I was not using 5.1 I would get a different better value power amp.

My first 'real' amp was Arcam FMJ 32 (well not sure whether the model number is correct!!), then I sold it and bought Musical Fidelity gear.

As mentioned elsewhere they are decent little amps but don't have the guts for electronic or metal music.

Now I am a happy valve-head!!!

1. Have quite efficient speakers

3. Think Billy Joel is edgy and risky

4.Need a brand that seems safe and doesn't look threatening.

5.Want your music to sound homogenised.

6. Don't mind paying a premium for Pioneer level performance

7.Want something that you think is still made in England.

8. Are not into audio but need to impress the folk at the bowl-o

9. Bought it for 10% of the original RRP at Cashies and don't care that it may be stolen.

10.Just like it for some odd reason that you CBF explaining.

:cool::):)

You really don't seem to like many of the UK brands R. :)

Hey Guys I have started looking to buy a new system and to go with the new Rega RP6 and Bower and Wilkins CM8's I have been recommended an Arcam Amp. I mainly listen to Metal, my girlfriend listens to deep techno and we both love everything from Elvis through to Talking Heads.... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :cool:

B&W and Rotel work well together as both companies are part of the same parent company and use each other products during the design stage. Now that doesn't mean you will like the sound but it is a pretty good starting point.

Some one on the forum has a Rotel RB 1080 power amp for sale and that with a decent pre amp should do a very good job of driving the CM8'S with a more commanding delivery than the more laid back but still excellent Arcam.

Nah.

Just having some fun, although the list is partially true and I wouldn't recommend an Arcam, especially given the OP's tastes in music.

WRT UK brands I actually do like them a lot. I used to rail against Linn because of their obscene profiteering and lurid marketing stories, but these days I am quite chilled on that.

With Arcam I just think it is boring and not particularly impressive and doesn't really give one any compelling reasons to buy.

May other UK brands I like quite a lot, especially Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Quad, Spendor, PMC,Neat, Sugden and Rega to name a few. Even Cambridge is cheap and [ relatively, if brightly, cheerful ]

I have a Brio-R sitting in my system at the moment and it is making very nice sounds indeed.

Cheers:)

You really don't seem to like many of the UK brands R. :cool:
Edited by rantan
typos

Nah.

Just having some fun, although the list is partially true and I wouldn't recommend an Arcam, especially given the OP's tastes in music.

WRT UK brands I actually do like them a lot. I used to rail against Linn because of their obscene profiteering and lurid marketing stories, but these days I am quite chilled on that.

With Arcam I just think it is boring and not particularly impressive and doesn't really give one any compelling reasons to buy.

May other UK brands I like quite a lot, especially Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Quad, Spendor, PMC,Neat, Sugden and Rega to name a few. Even Cambridge is cheap and [ relatively, if brightly, cheerful ]

I have a Brio-R sitting in my system at the moment and it is making very nice sounds indeed.

Cheers:)

Just being jocular here too R . I tend to agree re the op's musical tastes and Arcam .

Great minds think alike mate:party

Arcam amps are excellent and work well with B&W, but it is possibly a little too polite for metal and techo. When I plumped for Arcam, I compared them against Musical Fidelity, Mission Cyrus and Audiolab; out of that lot, MF would get my vote for more brash realms of music. Harmon Kardon are (were?) big faves in the metal community.

That said, it is always worth auditioning Arcam - they are excellent amps - and seeing if the sound is good for your ears. Not easy to dismiss them out of hand (or should that be out of ear)?

As mentioned elsewhere they are decent little amps but don't have the guts for electronic or metal music.

Wouldn't that be entirely speaker dependent? And given his choice of speakers, IMO an Arcam would work just fine. I find Arcam amps to be clean, precise and easy to listen to. Some have described them as being too smooth or boring. I just tend to think of that as not deliberately emphasising any part of the sound to appeal to a particular audience. Conversely, I wouldn't be caught dead buying Rotel (never been even the slightest bit impressed by their sound) and Musical Fidelity would always tend to lose out to various other brands for me. At the end of the day, you need to take the time to do an audition, as opinions are just that. But rest assured the Arcam gear tends to be well made, reliable and good value.

Wouldn't that be entirely speaker dependent? And given his choice of speakers, IMO an Arcam would work just fine. I find Arcam amps to be clean, precise and easy to listen to. Some have described them as being too smooth or boring. I just tend to think of that as not deliberately emphasising any part of the sound to appeal to a particular audience. Conversely, I wouldn't be caught dead buying Rotel (never been even the slightest bit impressed by their sound) and Musical Fidelity would always tend to lose out to various other brands for me. At the end of the day, you need to take the time to do an audition, as opinions are just that. But rest assured the Arcam gear tends to be well made, reliable and good value.

You make some good points F and yes the op may like the sound of Arcam and B&W but he asked for oppinions, stated his musical tastes and I and others feel that the paring is unlikely to make the best of the B&W's for those musiclal genre's.

My comments are based not on personal preference but years of selling both brands as well as many others and getting a feel for what works well for customers given there musical tastes.

Now it would be great if the op could go out and hear everything before making a decison but most folk are time poor these days and therefore want a bit of help in creating a shortlist.

When I got into hifi back in the UK, there was a shop I used to frequent a lot.

In my opinion they had three lots of stuff by price bracket:

Linn/Naim/Roksan

Arcam/Musical Fidelity

Rotel/everything else.

I basically ended up buying Linn and Arcam stuff. As did a friend who ended up working in the shop.

I once felt an Arcam CD player outperformed a more expensive entry level Naim CD player, and another customer in the shop (who had the Naim CD player at home) agreed with me.

I still have an AVR200 I must get round to selling.

I do completely agree with you as for Arcam gear being well made and being good value for money.

However if you compare the top range Arcam products with top range MF gear, MF gear IMO streets ahead, especially their NU Vista range and 308 range. ,

Interesting. The MF gear I heard was in the mid 90s so stuff like the A1.

I took an Arcam A28 home for an audition a few years ago, when I was looking to upgrade from an NAD C320BEE. The A28 was BORING. Nothing had any life or colour.

It could just be that model, or it could just be me. I ended up buying a Rega Elicit.