Hey Guys I have started looking to buy a new system and to go with the new Rega RP6 and Bower and Wilkins CM8's I have been recommended an Arcam Amp. I mainly listen to Metal, my girlfriend listens to deep techno and we both love everything from Elvis through to Talking Heads.... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :P

If you could be more specific ie model, we may be able to give an answer, plus if you are looking for other ideas a price range would be cool too. :P

Thumbs down from me for Arcam unless you:

1. Have quite efficient speakers

2.Only play Kenny Rogers and Englebert Humperdink[ if that is how you spell it ]

3. Think Billy Joel is edgy and risky

4.Need a brand that seems safe and doesn't look threatening.

5.Want your music to sound homogenised.

6. Don't mind paying a premium for Pioneer level performance

7.Want something that you think is still made in England.

8. Are not into audio but need to impress the folk at the bowl-o

9. Bought it for 10% of the original RRP at Cashies and don't care that it may be stolen.

10.Just like it for some odd reason that you CBF explaining.

:P:):)

2.Only play Kenny Rogers and Englebert Humperdink[ if that is how you spell it ]

It's Engelbert Humperdinck.

And why Arcam amplifiers would suit his music more than any other composer I can not imagine.

My answer is that I am unsure but I heard one of his songs once and thought it was appropriate. My apologies for being one letter out, but I am obviously an ignorant bogan

I am also assuming its OK to have a little bit of fun 'round here sometimes:)

It's all good mate, we were both havin' a go .:P:)

Cheers.

My first 'real' amp was Arcam FMJ 32 (well not sure whether the model number is correct!!), then I sold it and bought Musical Fidelity gear.

As mentioned elsewhere they are decent little amps but don't have the guts for electronic or metal music.

Now I am a happy valve-head!!!

1. Have quite efficient speakers

3. Think Billy Joel is edgy and risky

4.Need a brand that seems safe and doesn't look threatening.

5.Want your music to sound homogenised.

6. Don't mind paying a premium for Pioneer level performance

7.Want something that you think is still made in England.

8. Are not into audio but need to impress the folk at the bowl-o

9. Bought it for 10% of the original RRP at Cashies and don't care that it may be stolen.

10.Just like it for some odd reason that you CBF explaining.

:cool::):)

You really don't seem to like many of the UK brands R. :)

Hey Guys I have started looking to buy a new system and to go with the new Rega RP6 and Bower and Wilkins CM8's I have been recommended an Arcam Amp. I mainly listen to Metal, my girlfriend listens to deep techno and we both love everything from Elvis through to Talking Heads.... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :cool:

B&W and Rotel work well together as both companies are part of the same parent company and use each other products during the design stage. Now that doesn't mean you will like the sound but it is a pretty good starting point.

Some one on the forum has a Rotel RB 1080 power amp for sale and that with a decent pre amp should do a very good job of driving the CM8'S with a more commanding delivery than the more laid back but still excellent Arcam.

Nah.

Just having some fun, although the list is partially true and I wouldn't recommend an Arcam, especially given the OP's tastes in music.

WRT UK brands I actually do like them a lot. I used to rail against Linn because of their obscene profiteering and lurid marketing stories, but these days I am quite chilled on that.

With Arcam I just think it is boring and not particularly impressive and doesn't really give one any compelling reasons to buy.

May other UK brands I like quite a lot, especially Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Quad, Spendor, PMC,Neat, Sugden and Rega to name a few. Even Cambridge is cheap and [ relatively, if brightly, cheerful ]

I have a Brio-R sitting in my system at the moment and it is making very nice sounds indeed.

Cheers:)

You really don't seem to like many of the UK brands R. :cool:
Edited by rantan
typos

Nah.

Just having some fun, although the list is partially true and I wouldn't recommend an Arcam, especially given the OP's tastes in music.

WRT UK brands I actually do like them a lot. I used to rail against Linn because of their obscene profiteering and lurid marketing stories, but these days I am quite chilled on that.

With Arcam I just think it is boring and not particularly impressive and doesn't really give one any compelling reasons to buy.

May other UK brands I like quite a lot, especially Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Quad, Spendor, PMC,Neat, Sugden and Rega to name a few. Even Cambridge is cheap and [ relatively, if brightly, cheerful ]

I have a Brio-R sitting in my system at the moment and it is making very nice sounds indeed.

Cheers:)

Just being jocular here too R . I tend to agree re the op's musical tastes and Arcam .

Arcam amps are excellent and work well with B&W, but it is possibly a little too polite for metal and techo. When I plumped for Arcam, I compared them against Musical Fidelity, Mission Cyrus and Audiolab; out of that lot, MF would get my vote for more brash realms of music. Harmon Kardon are (were?) big faves in the metal community.

That said, it is always worth auditioning Arcam - they are excellent amps - and seeing if the sound is good for your ears. Not easy to dismiss them out of hand (or should that be out of ear)?

As mentioned elsewhere they are decent little amps but don't have the guts for electronic or metal music.

Wouldn't that be entirely speaker dependent? And given his choice of speakers, IMO an Arcam would work just fine. I find Arcam amps to be clean, precise and easy to listen to. Some have described them as being too smooth or boring. I just tend to think of that as not deliberately emphasising any part of the sound to appeal to a particular audience. Conversely, I wouldn't be caught dead buying Rotel (never been even the slightest bit impressed by their sound) and Musical Fidelity would always tend to lose out to various other brands for me. At the end of the day, you need to take the time to do an audition, as opinions are just that. But rest assured the Arcam gear tends to be well made, reliable and good value.

• Like 1
Wouldn't that be entirely speaker dependent? And given his choice of speakers, IMO an Arcam would work just fine. I find Arcam amps to be clean, precise and easy to listen to. Some have described them as being too smooth or boring. I just tend to think of that as not deliberately emphasising any part of the sound to appeal to a particular audience. Conversely, I wouldn't be caught dead buying Rotel (never been even the slightest bit impressed by their sound) and Musical Fidelity would always tend to lose out to various other brands for me. At the end of the day, you need to take the time to do an audition, as opinions are just that. But rest assured the Arcam gear tends to be well made, reliable and good value.

You make some good points F and yes the op may like the sound of Arcam and B&W but he asked for oppinions, stated his musical tastes and I and others feel that the paring is unlikely to make the best of the B&W's for those musiclal genre's.

My comments are based not on personal preference but years of selling both brands as well as many others and getting a feel for what works well for customers given there musical tastes.

Now it would be great if the op could go out and hear everything before making a decison but most folk are time poor these days and therefore want a bit of help in creating a shortlist.

When I got into hifi back in the UK, there was a shop I used to frequent a lot.

In my opinion they had three lots of stuff by price bracket:

Linn/Naim/Roksan

Arcam/Musical Fidelity

Rotel/everything else.

I basically ended up buying Linn and Arcam stuff. As did a friend who ended up working in the shop.

I once felt an Arcam CD player outperformed a more expensive entry level Naim CD player, and another customer in the shop (who had the Naim CD player at home) agreed with me.

I still have an AVR200 I must get round to selling.

I do completely agree with you as for Arcam gear being well made and being good value for money.

However if you compare the top range Arcam products with top range MF gear, MF gear IMO streets ahead, especially their NU Vista range and 308 range. ,

I took an Arcam A28 home for an audition a few years ago, when I was looking to upgrade from an NAD C320BEE. The A28 was BORING. Nothing had any life or colour.

It could just be that model, or it could just be me. I ended up buying a Rega Elicit.

I took an Arcam A28 home for an audition a few years ago, when I was looking to upgrade from an NAD C320BEE. The A28 was BORING. Nothing had any life or colour.

It could just be that model, or it could just be me. I ended up buying a Rega Elicit.

Thanks Kdoot. At least some people get it. Also, it isn't just you and it isn't just that model. All Arcam gear is colourless, but it is safe and many people are happy with that. The UK produces some of the very best audio components in the world..............Arcam is not on the list unless grey and beige are your life colours.

I could not agree more and this segues into what I expressed in my original post which some took objection to, but your post has more truth and less sarcasm

Edited by rantan
Hey Guys I have started looking to buy a new system and to go with the new Rega RP6 and Bower and Wilkins CM8's I have been recommended an Arcam Amp. I mainly listen to Metal, my girlfriend listens to deep techno and we both love everything from Elvis through to Talking Heads.... Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance B)

For that type of music I would suggest serious power. I think the Emotiva monoblocks would be the go at 200W per channel and only $349 each:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/ultra-series/products/upa1

There are some 500W versions available at $999 each but I don't think that extra power is really worth the extra cost.

Thanks

Bill

My first 'real' amp was Arcam FMJ 32 (well not sure whether the model number is correct!!), then I sold it and bought Musical Fidelity gear.

Now I am a happy valve-head!!!

Depends to a large extent on what speakers you have, of course. I first heard my current model DCXs playing with an Arcam amp at VAF's showrooms. Sounded pretty good, certainly didn't lack any oomph to my ears. Currently listening to my DCXs with my trusty Musical Fidelity E11 and am very happy. Nicely balanced sound, smooth sounding top end and midrange with plenty of detail, and certainly enough oomph at the bottom end for my ears. As with all things though, ymmv.

PS: I should mention that I am talking stereo here. (Only just realised this thread is in the AV Receivers section.)

Edited by emesbee

absolutely its going to matter what speaker you use any amp with. if its av receivers we're talking about the arcam avrs are probably some of the very grunty avrs on the market. and honestly rated too ! unlike the majority of mass market ones that are stupidly over rated in power claims if you believe that sort of thing ! but ofcourse like any av receiver you can do better than the built in amps with separate standalone power amplifiers. but youd expect that too, I would have thought :rolleyes:

been 10 years since i looked at arcam

1 it seemed overpriced for the SQ it delivered

2 seemed underpowered

3 bit like driving a volvo estate safe and secure

did we ever get the model # from OP?

I had both the AA9 and AA10. Both were 2nd hand when I got them. I used 1 as a pre and biamped. I later bought an Electra Theatre 2nd Hand from Trevor Lee and used the 9 as the pre and biamped some original VAF DC-X. I never had a problem with the AA9 or AA10 but the Electra Theater did obvious give much greater bang for your buck. The AA always sound smooth to me and were easy to listen to. I sold them both and bought a Yamaha RX1900 to use as a pre with the ET.

Regards Cazzesman

The opinions on Arcam are entirely subjective. One person's boring amplifier is another's great all-rounder, capable of reproducing a large range of source material well and/or providing an easy listen over long periods. Some amps are probably more suited to certain types of music than others, I suppose. Perhaps some views on Arcam on this thread are similar to an attack on one's personal taste in music. Just a thought...

yeah I agree, same as saying under powered. well theyre arent big bruisers weighing 50-60 kg and doubling as arc welders. more designed for subtlety and in my opinion work perfectly well with stand mounts and smaller floorstanders the arcams have come across. the av receivers which is likely what we are talking about in this subforum are actually some of the gruntiest ! for the category I have come across ! certainly even their smaller hifi amps with very decent amp stages and certainly well supported with power supplies to deliver on their power claims. which is more can be said for lot of the mass market stuff the arcams are unstandbly priced above. in any regard things like price will always be down to personal value judgements. one person will think theyre worth what they sell for others will feel some other stuff better value. :)