Yamaha DSP-A1 - to buy or not to buy.

I've seen a Yamaha DSP-A1 going for what I think is a good price (<300). I'm tempted but would like to hear opinions of this particular unit...and maybe advice whether this is a good buy for what I want to achieve.

I've recently been playing around with my existing gear at home in an effort of get better 2ch performance. That lead me to changing my main Onkyo TSXR577 AVR for a Yamaha RX-777 2CH receiver I had and much prefer the sound. I figure the DSP-A1 would give me stereo performance at least on par with the RX-777, but also allow me to get the full home theatre fired up again.

things holding me back:

- it's huge. specs say 473mm deep, which will cause headaches.

- no tuner. so another component I have to buy and accommodate.

- 100 WPC it's way more power than I need.

- it's old. so losing some modern conveniences and processing.

I think I might be better off looking for a lower powered, newer AVR. decisions decisions.

thanks in advance for any advice

EDIT: decided against it for reasons above. money is better spent elsewhere at the moment.

Edited by manchu

These things seem to be making a revival. As i have seen a few online for sale of late ... and a couple of posts of people looking to buy. I have one of these which is currently undergoing servicing which i intend to sell in a couple of weeks time. Haven't used it for awhile myself so have forgotten how good (or bad) it sounds but have since moved into more high end audio gear. From what i do remember it was a pretty decent Yamaha signature sound and yes it was the king of its class a few years ago ... (say about 15yrs ago). Good luck if you intend to purchase.

cheers for the responses. I'm sure it's a really good amp but have decided to keep hunting for something that suits my particular needs better.

What those needs are is the question I'm struggling to answer. I've been running only 2ch for the last few weeks and have to say that I haven't really missed the 5.1 all that much. But, if I sat down and watched Band of Brothers in Super Mega DTS Master True HD Audio i'd probably change my tune again.

• 7 years later...