The Walking Dead. - foxtel fx

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Anyone watching the Walking Dead series. Just watched the first two episodes.

Pretty good if you like Zombie movies.

Cop wakes up in hospital after being shot and almost everyone's dead and they are now Zombies. Series goes along his search for his wife and son with a few survivors fighting off Zombies along the way.

It is not a comedy and is nice and violet.

Worth watching and better than the crap on fta. It is on Tuesday's at 8.30pm

Edited by turntable
  • Like 1

+1, you don't have to be a fan of the zombie genre to like it. Good script writing, acting and production. Series 2 is more of a human drama. With zombies.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm working my way through series 2. I must say this is a very gruesome show, I'm pleased to see how sensitised I've become to gore again many years after all those years in the Emergency department :)

I'm pondering whilst I watch it, what is the attraction we have with zombies (Hollywood type zombies, not the original voodoo zombies)? Is it about the ambiguity around life after death? Is it a fascination with pandemics? It's an interesting observation that zombies are really only threatening in groups, single zombies are easy pickings, but as a group they are near unstoppable. I wonder whether they are the modern version of our fear of the 'mindless mob?'

Thoughts?

IMHO, I figure that the groupthink around zombie stuff is about empowering the individual to think that they could survive a pandemic, as you postulated.

Squicking monsters as a way to do so appeals to some also :)

IMHO, I figure that the groupthink around zombie stuff is about empowering the individual to think that they could survive a pandemic, as you postulated.

Squicking monsters as a way to do so appeals to some also :)

There are two opposing forces in groups: one is to join the group mind, and to an extent lose ones own. An experience of this we have all had of this would be at a concert or sporting event where we get swept up in the crowd excitement. Another would be the recently publicised incident on the Frankston bus where other bus members were recruited into the hatred. The other opposing force is to keep your wn mind in the group by rejecting the group, we all know people who find it difficult to work in groups. The role of the group is to find a way to harness the advantages of both these tensions, and to avoid the disadvantages. Zombies are an extreme (and literal) example of the mindless mob. Like toddlers who parallel play rather than play cooperatively, zombies are disorganised mob, almost ignoring each other in their quest to eat :) .

The live humans on the other hand do what groups quickly do, search for a leader.

There was a mini series called Dead Set from the uk that alludes to your point on the mindless mob, except in this case its the mindless mob that watch reality tv, well that's what I got out of it anyway. Great show though and well worth a watch if you like the Walking Dead.

I really enjoy The Walking Dead. First series was epic, second calmed a bit and was not as exciting as the first, but the current series is just as exciting as the first. I am up to episode 6 or 7 can't wait for the next to come out. :)

Series 3 is into about episode 6. When you look at what happens at the end of series 2 and now series 3, it just goes to prove the true animals/zombies are ourselves - the human race. The zombies are now just a subtext to what is really happening - human nature and power.

Excellent show

Edited by turntable

Guest Peter the Greek

Watched episode 2 last night.....not one for the wife. My mate says its more drama then zombies....hacking a zombie up with a fire axe I'm not so sure (all good by my standard though :D)

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
Guest Peter the Greek

Anyone else getting bored of this show?

The protracted third season is killing me.....all of a sudden the walkers are more or less harmless and this BS character development thing couldn't be less interesting if it tried

Guest Peter the Greek
Banshee is a very good blood and gore fest as well as plenty of T&A.

I understand Spartacus has plenty of both :)

Guest Peter the Greek
 A bit like series 5 of Breaking Bad. They should have stopped at 4.

This seems to be an AMC thing......its starting to **** me. On the other hand, I'm well into Game of Thrones now, its a superb show