Speakers around $10K

Definitely budget for a trip to the east and some days for listening if you can't get home demonstrations from SNAers in the west.

Speakers are a very personal choice and at $10K it is worth the time and a bit of money to get it right.

I flew to Melbourne from Adelaide to increase my experience and choices and ended up saving money as I went active and was able to sell my amp.

Good luck.

Greg

ps--there is no bonus for working out what I bought!

Eagle

all the speakers you have listed are very good, however if you cant audition them, i would take them off your list unless you were offered a return policy.

Speakers are such a personal thing and what does it for one man, you may absolutely hate.

So please, take your time, audition as many as you can with your own music and them you can make a better decision, rather then relying on what others may like or not like.

I think if you do have 10K to spend, then find a state that has most of the ones you are interested in, book a weekend of auditions and then book your flight.

With any discount you should be able to cover your flight costs :)

With a total budget of 13k, I think you'd be crazy not to go active with custom speakers. The chance of any off the shelf loudspeakers suiting you and your room perfectly is highly unlikely, especially if you are trying to fix some room related lf issues. Something like the deqx or my personal favourite the Groundsound DCN28 would give you a very good preamp with active crossover and room correction. The DCN28 has 8 channels which would allow you to build an active 3 way, with 2 spare channels to implement multi subs. There's quite a bit of info out there regarding multiple randomly placed subwoofers and how they are probably the best way to get smooth bass response throughout a room.

13k and a dedicated room..... I honestly believe that a well implemented active multi sub diy effort would be better than any pair of commercial speakers at ANY price.

• Volunteer
Eagle

all the speakers you have listed are very good, however if you cant audition them, i would take them off your list unless you were offered a return policy.

Speakers are such a personal thing and what does it for one man, you may absolutely hate.

So please, take your time, audition as many as you can with your own music and them you can make a better decision, rather then relying on what others may like or not like.

I think if you do have 10K to spend, then find a state that has most of the ones you are interested in, book a weekend of auditions and then book your flight.

With any discount you should be able to cover your flight costs ;)

Listen to JohnA, his words are wise

13k and a dedicated room..... I honestly believe that a well implemented active multi sub diy effort would be better than any pair of commercial speakers at ANY price.

Sorry - can't agree. I am happy to pit my ML3 Reference against any active in that price range.

Thanks

Bill

With a total budget of 13k, I think you'd be crazy not to go active with custom speakers. .....

Except that he has stated that resale value is a concern. That pretty much kills custom speakers. And leads to my suggestion: look for internationally recognised / renowned speakers, ideally second hand but not old. The B&W 802 (used) you menioned in post #1 definitely qualify. Also the JBL K2 S4600 that diesel459 recommended.

Why? Do you think the passive components add to the sound?

All components add to the sound - the question is what sounds better. You made a claim - I am saying I do not agree with it. Once you have heard for example the difference Duelund VSF Copper makes you start to understand why comments like yours may not be true.

Thanks

Bill

Indeed they are Trevor and I would do the same.

There are people on this forum who buy certain local speakers unauditioned, often spending $3-10K and I wish them well, but with any speaker, I would require an audition and with speakers above $5K, a very extensive and prolonged audition.

Listen to JohnA, his words are wise

Sorry - can't agree. I am happy to pit my ML3 Reference against any active in that price range.

Thanks

Bill

Well of course you would Bill.;)

Edited by joz

Cheers Ken. Simply HiFi are now closed but I still deal with the owner. Already spoken to Pat from WAR Audio and he will give me some advice. I visited Clifford from Audio Synergy but didn't really get anywhere. Might try again this weekend.

eagle,

Good luck with your search.

Whilst Simply HiFi has closed the retail shop in Subiaco, the owner is operating from another location, in what is IMO a better environment to listen.

Ken

Hi

Thanks for all the advice and lots to think about.

I am not adverse to going down the custom road, although re-sale value is always a concern. I have spoken previously to Pat from WAR Audio and he has promised to give me some ideas and not followed through, so might cross that idea off the list.

The SGR's are under serious consideration and have had some discussions with Stuart about them.

The OHM speakers & WLM look very interesting and again would give them some consideration. I have heard lots of good things about the ML1, ML2 & ML3 references. I think the ML3's are over my budget though.

Based on my previous list, I am now shortlisting down to the following: (for now)

Monitor Audio PL300

Marten Django

Legacy Audio Focus SE

B&W 802D

PMC PB1i

SGR CX4F

Based on John's advice, I am considering how I could make it over to Melbourne/Sydney for a few days, just need to get permission from the good wife. I have had some unexpected work holidays come up:)

I am heading out on Saturday with a fellow SNA member to check out a few speakers, so who knows, may still find something local that I like and can try at home.

I still need to find a decent pre-amp for around $2K after I have sorted the speakers out...

Cheers Dave.

eagle,

Good luck with your search.

Whilst Simply HiFi has closed the retail shop in Subiaco, the owner is operating from another location, in what is IMO a better environment to listen.

Ken

Hi Ken

I know and have been in regular contact with the owner since he moved location. I have bought lots of gear from him over the years and try to deal with him if I can. Lots of nice gear at his new location:)

Dave.

There lots of good advice with lots of options.

The hard part will be making the final decision.

Even though there probably aren't any duds being recommended you will always be worrying about buyers remorse.

Audition then buy with confidence is my tip.

Good luck!

Hi Ken

I know and have been in regular contact with the owner since he moved location. I have bought lots of gear from him over the years and try to deal with him if I can. Lots of nice gear at his new location:)

Dave.

Dave,

If you can fit them, I can vouch that the Quads that he has are in very good condition.

Ken