Goodbye Jitter ?

exau2i multi-channel asynchronous usb i2s interface fft plot

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/exadevices/183374-exau2i-multi-channel-asynchronous-usb-i2s-interface-100.html#post2909397

using 1khz -80db @ 32bit float/192k

Does this plot indicate that with gear currently available, jitter can effectively be elimiated?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41366[/ATTACH]

Edited by Nada

No offense was intended to anyone and I certainly did not personify my post. I was just expressing my own opinion and that is that this topic seems to crop up almost continually and then proceeds to become divisive.

The SBT looks pretty good! kind of shows you don't need their DAC :P.

Their results are a little strange, firstly how do they get the noise floor below 150 dB when they quote a signal to noise of 128 dB for balanced output. Second, they claim to calculate the "jitter" by summing the rms peaks, how does that give units of seconds?

Have a look at the scale on NADA's plot Drizt. Far Far better than the two you posted. In fact it is off the scale of any plots on that site.

Like already mentioned though - how are they measuring that? Apples with Apples?

NFA

Edited by nofixedaddress

Have a look at the scale on NADA's plot Drizt. Far Far better than the two you posted. In fact it is off the scale of any plots on that site.

Like already mentioned though - how are they measuring that? Apples with Apples?

NFA

I didn't say they were better or not, I just added them as a comparison.

there is dac jitter and then theres jitter due to miss timing between transport and dac clocks...this is due to separate clocks not in synch as opposed to players for instance where transport and dac share the same clock, systems like denon link where clock signal is use to synch clocks between transport and dac, or eg the likes of dcs and esoteric that use master clocks to synchronise timing.

just looking at dac jitter is putting head in the sand as to the sources of jitter...

Does this plot indicate that with gear currently available, jitter can effectively be elimiated?

Yes. This year is definitely going to be the year 9018 ;-)

To be fair with your question/statement though ... this picture is of the 9018 being fed (and eliminating) very low levels of jitter. (I mean there was not much jitter to begin with from the Exa USB interface)

If I could bear to sell my ME preamp, I might replace it with a Anedio D2 or the Exa e18 DAC. Perhaps I should take their in home trial. Unfortunately I can't have both :-/ (I mean both the ME preamp, and a 9018 based DAC/pre)

Edited by davewantsmoore

exau2i multi-channel asynchronous usb i2s interface fft plot

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/exadevices/183374-exau2i-multi-channel-asynchronous-usb-i2s-interface-100.html#post2909397

using 1khz -80db @ 32bit float/192k

Whether its the jitter, or whatever, these sure are special devices. The EXA U2I with Buffalo dac and the EXA E18 dac I'm using are giving me so much enjoyment I'm amazed they havent received a lot more recognition . The spatial presentation of these things is amazing , soundstaging is stunningly 3D , with placement of instruments so precisely positioned. Sometimes with a good recording you can sense such precise imaging in both depth and width that its like listening to a recording in a completely different way , hard to explain but no way i'm giving these devices up.

I'm using the E18 dac straight off the dac ouputs with the opamps and filters disconnected, tube output, and trying different combinations of the dac outputs ( the dac chip has 8 outputs, 4 per channel ) and the difference between using just one output and 4 in parallel is quite significant, output impedance is obviously the main factor, but I suspect something else is happening here. Its interesting that people comment on the Sabre "sound'- i can tell you there are a number of Sabre "sounds" , but I doubt the differences wouldn't be so audible without the incredible transperancy of the exa I2S devices.

End of transmission, over and out.

I've been using EXA beta mac drivers on E18 dac for nearly 2 weeks now- no problems. It's too close to be definite, but i used to prefer mac/puremusic/audivrana plus, with these convertors/dacs I prefer windows7/Jriver, but still early days, and it is so close that 5 people would have 5 different opinions.