HDMI Surround Processor for use with non-hdmi AVR

Want people's opinion here on this, but on Ebay, I have come across a HDMI Surround Processor decoder for use for those AVR that are non-HDMI. I suppose one way a person can look at it is a HDMI to Multi Channel Input. So instead of the DVD doing decoding, this device will do instead. (like using CD transport, External DAC, Amp)

I never even knew of such devices until by accident the other day on Ebay.

Unfortunately since I don't who makes the device, I have no idea how well they work, or how well made they are for that matter.

• 2 months later...

If you don't have multiple sources, then a good quality analogue output on the source would do the trick.

My processor doesn't have HDMI, so I use analogue out from my Oppo for HD codecs and optical from other sources.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually those devices don't have any internal HD audio decoders. They only work with multichannel PCM.

I think it was designed to work with some high end processors (Meridian?)

http://www.meridian-audio.com/the-collection/surround-sound/hd621-hdmi-audio-processor.aspx

@Zardoz, I recall there was a modded Oppo 83 with those specs. But the Meridian should be able to do that if price is no object ;)

Edited by DoggieHowser

@Doggie, well remembered on both counts. Meridian made a policy decision to not let video signals anywhere near their processors, and so they had to come up with a device to strip the audio from a combined signal. At the same time, they decided they didn't like HDMI and so converted to 4xSPDIF whether in four single cables or a single MMHR cable. The content providers were happy with this on a commercial product as Meridian's transfer is encrypted. So basically it is a bolt on for a Meridian processor to handle HDMI - I have one and use it for my Oppo. Even their newest flagship processor is HDMI free.

The other response was a bit dodgier. Some modders took players or switch-processors and tapped into the unencrypted data streams and output those through 3xSPDIF, it was done with Oppos as well as Octava and Clux. You often see them around second hand as people upgrade. There are no issues with HDCP as the HDMI signal path is still there, though I believe there are issues with HDMI sinks on audio only sometimes.