Which DAC to complete my hifi setup

I've just ordered a pair of Usher s-520's and a Redgum Sonofa'GUM amp for my first hifi setup. I'll be using it to play lossless music from my PC (electronic and rock/metal genres mostly). All that's left to get is the DAC. I don't really have any idea on what to get, other than I'd prefer not to pay more than $400. I should also note my PC has SPDIF out, would this be better than using USB to connect to the DAC?

So far I'm considering the following:

Maverick Tubemagic D1

Cambridge Audio Dacmagic

Audio GD NFB-3.1

Musical Fidelity VDAC II

From what I've been reading the NFB 3.1 sounds like a great DAC for the price. Would anyone be able to give me suggestions on what I should buy?

EDIT: Could someone also please explain to me the differences between support for 192khz/96khz etc... I understand the NFB 3.1 has the option of one or the other when ordering it.

Edited by Ariel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just throwing this in there, but you have some pretty in-your-face components, maybe something like a nice NOS DAC would help calm things down a bit. (thats if you like that sort of thing)

The reason i say this is there is a nice Lite DAC AH in the classifieds which imo is a great DAC for $150. In saying that i havent heard the Audio GD stuff. http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/43605-Lite-DAC-AH?highlight=lite

Hmm, it is tempting to go for the 2.1. I'll give Audio GD an email and see how much it'll cost for the 2.1 with the WM8805 and DIR9001 chips.

When I got mine in December it was USD$555.5 for the 2.1, with both chips and shipping and paypal fee.

If you thinking NFB-2 Why not try the DAC-19 DSP? You know you want it ;)

:P:) Get one while whilst Kingwa still has a few PCM1704UK chips available. With the recent price rise from Texas Instruments I wouldn't be surprised if he discontinues these DACs once more.

How is the DSP-19 going pete_mac???

Is it better value than the NFB 2&3 or the emotiva????:)

I consider the DAC19 to be a better DAC than the above, but it is twice the price, so the value quotient comes down to the end user's aims and expectations. For me, I consider it to be excellent value - you simply can't buy a decent PCM1704UK DAC for this kind of money anywhere else. I'm looking forward to comparing the DAC19 against a suite of DACs in the very near future to see how it stacks up.

Both the Emotiva and NFB-3 have been sold. I think they are brilliant DACs at their price point, that's for certain! I could easily have lived with either.

just throwing this in there, but you have some pretty in-your-face components, maybe something like a nice NOS DAC would help calm things down a bit. (thats if you like that sort of thing)

The reason i say this is there is a nice Lite DAC AH in the classifieds which imo is a great DAC for $150. In saying that i havent heard the Audio GD stuff. http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/43605-Lite-DAC-AH?highlight=lite

Nathan, You are welcome to have a listen to mine.

I consider the DAC19 to be a better DAC than the above, but it is twice the price, so the value quotient comes down to the end user's aims and expectations. For me, I consider it to be excellent value - you simply can't buy a decent PCM1704UK DAC for this kind of money anywhere else. I'm looking forward to comparing the DAC19 against a suite of DACs in the very near future to see how it stacks up.

Both the Emotiva and NFB-3 have been sold. I think they are brilliant DACs at their price point, that's for certain! I could easily have lived with either.

Cool pete_mac, cant wait to hear about that pending exercise!!!!:)

Would be good to hear your impressions of it. I've had a chance to listen to one alongside with my Dac3se and a Ref 7 more than a year ago. The Dac19dsp is not a bad dac for the asking price.

I knew I'd end up going over my budget haha. Is the DAC19 really worth the upgrade over the NFB 2.1? If it is I can probably stretch to it, seems like a lot to spend $700 for the dac on a $1000 speaker + amp setup.

I would seriously 'evaluate' the set-up you have with the amount that you could spend on a Dac. If you say your system is $1000 speaker + amp set-up then spending over $700 on a digital to analogue converter 'may' be over capitalising.

I haven't even got a Dac yet, and I'm streaming all my music from my lappy (via toslink) to a Denon home theatre amp and Aaron floor standing speaker set-up and the sound in quite impressive (for what the set-up is). I am looking for a Dac too BUT I don't think that spending too much is going to achieve a whole lot more (in that one area).

There maybe other areas that you could spend the dollars on apart from a more expensive Dac. That's not to say I don't think you should get one but it's wise to keep things in perspective as you have seen people recommending Dacs from $150 (second hand), now jumping up to over $700. And like others have said, it has to 'complement' 'your' system's sound.

I knew I'd end up going over my budget haha. Is the DAC19 really worth the upgrade over the NFB 2.1? If it is I can probably stretch to it, seems like a lot to spend $700 for the dac on a $1000 speaker + amp setup.

I found my NFB-3 (voiced the same as the NFB-2) to be a tad warmer and less detailed than the DAC19. However, both have the audio-gd 'house' sound, and the difference between the two isn't enormous. I only upgraded as I wanted a bit more accuracy (and wanted to try a PCM1704UK DAC). You won't go wrong with either of them! If you can spend the extra dollars then go for it, otherwise don't sweat it.

If you don't want your computer next to your system I'd recommend getting a squeezebox touch and stream wirelessly. The DAC in it is fantastic. A mate and I could not hear the difference between it and the AGD NFB-2 during a blind ABX test.

Any differences will be subtle at best, make sure you have reasonable expectations before spending outside your budget on a DAC. There are bigger gains to be made elsewhere.

Edited by GFuNK

I would have thought the PCM1704UK would be a huge upgrade over the cheaper chips used in the NFB 2.1.I'll be having my setup next to my computer so wireless isn't really needed.

IMHO the difference between the two is very clear, but I don't want to over-emphasise it. 'Huge upgrade' depends entirely upon the listener's expectations. It's not a night and day difference, but the way the DAC19 renders instruments, voices and even electronic music (which I listen to a heck of a lot) makes it worth the upgrade for me in my system. There's just something inherently 'right' about it. I'd be doing you and everyone else no favours by proclaiming the difference as being huge, only for you to be disappointed.

Seriously though, both the NFB 2, 3, 2.1 and 3.1 are very good DACs and I'm sure you'd be happy with either if these fit better within your budget.

I would have thought the PCM1704UK would be a huge upgrade over the cheaper chips used in the NFB 2.1.I'll be having my setup next to my computer so wireless isn't really needed.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it would be a huge upgrade? Considering the DAC chip alone, on paper, the wm8741 performs better, it has higher SNR and lower distortion.

Out of curiosity, why do you think it would be a huge upgrade? Considering the DAC chip alone, on paper, the wm8741 performs better, it has higher SNR and lower distortion.

emphasis on the 'on paper' bit ;). delta-sigma vs R-2R chipset. different characteristics. Spec sheets and stats don't tell the full story.

IMHO the difference between the two is very clear, but I don't want to over-emphasise it. 'Huge upgrade' depends entirely upon the listener's expectations. It's not a night and day difference, but the way the DAC19 renders instruments, voices and even electronic music (which I listen to a heck of a lot) makes it worth the upgrade for me in my system. There's just something inherently 'right' about it. I'd be doing you and everyone else no favours by proclaiming the difference as being huge, only for you to be disappointed.

Seriously though, both the NFB 2, 3, 2.1 and 3.1 are very good DACs and I'm sure you'd be happy with either if these fit better within your budget.

I agree. If the rest of the system cannot convey the resolution offered by the mid-tier/high end dacs, then its money not well spent. I recently demo'd my Ref 7.1 in a speaker system that was able to offer better resolution than my current speakers and the difference was noticable. Initial thoughts was to sell off the Ref7.1 but i've decided to keep in and move with a plan to upgrade my speakers.. ;)

That being said, the 'musical' line of A-GD's Dac3SE sounds different to the 'neutral' Ref7.1 again. There is a slight emphasis on the mid bass, mids' and highs with the Dac3SE over the more balanced sounding Ref7.1. (My opinion of course)..

Edited by katattack74