AKG Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest JohnA

Hey Guys

i am thinking of a headphone setup and i do like the look of the AKG 701

has nayone compared them with the 702 and what are your thoughts.

Any Grado that people may recommend that i should also maybe look at.

Also what is a good headphone amp to use with these.

I am also going to get these headphone stands for them as i think they look funky and will suit the room

[ATTACH]11136[/ATTACH]

The k702's are identical to the k701 cept the fact it has removable cord, so if it breaks its less dramas, so they should be basically identical in sound.

I have the k701's, they are suited for acoustic material, not suited for heavy rock, or electronica or anything overtly bass heavy.

They also DEFINATELY require good amplification, or else they sound pretty bad. Not sure what would be the best headphone amp for them however...sure someone else would provide suggestions.

Hi John.

Not to long ago I was in Japan where they have everything a decade before the rest of the world, so was able to listen to ALL the latest and greatest headphones available on some pretty amazing set ups. Up against this field I still find the 701's my pick; and for the price none match it. For me their greatest strength is an expansive airy and detailed sound-stage. The main criticism of them is the lack of bass and richness (true) which you will find in spades in a can like the upper echelon senheissers. I still would choose the 701's though. i guess it depends on your taste in music and sound, very different flavours. The 702's are the same as the 701's regardless of what people say, but are more robust in their construction for the traveling engineer. The absolute ducks barnacles of headphones for me are the stax SR-007Mk2 with their top of the rung triode based "energizer" (amp to everyone else). This combination to me is the the pinnacle of what is achievable with headphone technology. Freekin' sublime to say the least. Puts all others to shame and is a benchmark for what I can only dream of in a two channel system. Auction a kidney on ebay and you may get close to being able to pay for this combo. the lesser Stax models can be bested by the right combination of dynamic headphone and quality amp so they aren't worth it to me. My two cents.

Hi JohnA,

Happy to find a time & to lend you my Grado GS-1000s if it helps your decision in any way. Not technically accurate (refer graphs & specs), but detailed and involving in a way I have not heard before. A mid range to die for. And uber-comfortable.

PS - I hate Senns (I have the 600s) and have heard the AKG 701s with my Yamamoto amp (not very engaging to my ears) but I have not done a direct A/B with the AKG/Grados. YMMV.

No mucking around JohnA as Chilli Nimrod suggests, demo the Stax SR-007 MkII and amp,(the Stax have a 5 pin lead so you'll need a compatable amp) as well as the Grado GS1000i and work backwards to the AKG 701-702 and see if you could live with the 701-702's.

Also if you look at Senns, remember they are a more laid back sounding headphone, some would go as far as saying veiled, I tend to agree, but veiled would be too strong a word. They do some things well, but it can be like listening to your full size speakers with your ears full of wax. You want to turn up the volume and try and 'BLOW THE COVERS OFF' craving for a bit more 'Clarity'

Thanks for the info so far all.

The grado certainly look the goods.

chilli, thanks for the informative read. The lack of bass may be of a concern to me. I listen to a huge range of music from jazz, blues, to rock

As with everything though, i will audition a set to see what i feel.

Greg, that is a very kind offer. I will endeavor to take you up on it also.

I think from what you describe they may just fit the bill.

Mick, the senns have never done it for me looks wise. This of course is not to say they are not wrth an audition, however things like the grado's and the akg win out big time on the looks.

As for the stax, haven't had a look at them as yet.

I have never looked at nor heard phones before. I have a pair of old Technics dj phones which i use with the ipod but they are just all bass and not much else.

I paired my AKG 702 with a Behringer XENYX 502 with good results. Since the AKG 702 was designed with the Pro consumer in mind, any Pro mixer or headphone distribution amplifier will be able to drive this beast.

Hey Guys

i am thinking of a headphone setup and i do like the look of the AKG 701

has nayone compared them with the 702 and what are your thoughts.

Any Grado that people may recommend that i should also maybe look at.

Also what is a good headphone amp to use with these.

Given your musical tastes I'd be leaning toward the Senns or Grados or Allesandros, if you really like the AKG sound you would be better with the 601's.

Even though the Senns are my least favourite, they do cover all music types satisfactorily ie you can listen to classical, jazz, rock, electronica and enjoy it whereas the others really excell at certain things but average with others.

With the right amp the Senns are transparent enough, but after the AKG's may seem veiled.

They are all very different and really should listen to them before making a choice.

Not so sure about all this talk regarding 701s and lack of bass. Ive never found mine wanting of bass, but I do run them through a Slee Solo.

Surely you will be auditioning various cans prior to purchase John?

Cheers,

Jake

I have never looked at nor heard phones before.

In that case, then you are well advised to take your time with them. I had mine for 12 months before a power amp problem saw me forced me to use the cans. But, in the time I was forced to use them I came to love them as bringing an entirely different world to my ears.

They are nothing like speakers, and speakers will do things that cans never will. But the reverse is also true. For late night intimacy, and in particular for listening to some new music for the first time, good phones are hard to beat.

Cheers,

Jake

thanks again for all the advice.. Looks like i will get out there and audition as many as i can and then make a short list.

Have had many offers of loans which is great also.

What a great community we have here

I believe some people on Head-fi are trying to oraganise a meet in Melbourne.

Would be a great opportunity to hear a bunch of stuff that you wouldn't normally have access to as well as being able to do a/b testing.

The meet isnt finalised yet, but check it out if it is.

thanks fo rthe heads up hens.

I am not a member over there, so best i join up i think.

As for the meet, i would feel strange going to one when i am new to the place

I have the AKG K702's, which, as mentioned in other posts, is apparently the same sound as K701's. I also have the Senn HD650's. I use the K702's when listening to female vocal and lighter music, the HD650's when listening to more bass influenced music.

I wouldn't say the K702's are light in bass, they are just lighter than the HD650's. When you are used to them it sounds well balanced, but the HD650's give that extra oomph.

If I had to choose between the two, on balance with the type of listening I mostly do, I would choose the K702's

As for the meet, i would feel strange going to one when i am new to the place

There is another Melbourne head-fi meet?

John, PM gz76 on here.

He may be helping/organizing it.

A good GTG to sample what Melbourne head-fiers own.

Both jaspert and I attended the first one.

cheers

k_

yep, I am a head-fier as well and if you join that forum John there is a group called 'team Australia' that your can subscribe too and get notifications to and from other aussies etc.

and for what it's worth, i have K701s, HD650s and some Grado SR60 (their base model) headphones and have to say they are all very good and all have different characteristics that some interpret as good or bad etc. tis a matter of choice and combination between amps and phones often. try before you buy if you can.

I don't find the 701's bass light at all. They are really well balanced, and I only listen to Rock/pop/Rock'n'Roll, you just need a great amp with them. 701's are less colored than the phones i've heard, fast, involving but still natural to me. I find they are great all-rounders. Edition 9's have the best headphone bass i've heard, but i choose 701's over them. Try first. I find it very hard to judge a headphone, or any gear really, on first listen. It always takes me a few days for my ears to adjust.

Don't buy a headphone amp until you try your pre-amp first with your headphones.

Edited by braddo

braddo,

thanks for the advice, unfortunately my pre amp doesn't have a phone output so a head amp is a must

4heckssake, thanks also. Hope i don't ebd up like you with 3 or 4, but then again, the way some people here spend money on multiple TT's (hello Jaspert) at least 3 sets of phones will be cheaper :cool:

braddo,

thanks for the advice, unfortunately my pre amp doesn't have a phone output so a head amp is a must

4heckssake, thanks also. Hope i don't ebd up like you with 3 or 4, but then again, the way some people here spend money on multiple TT's (hello Jaspert) at least 3 sets of phones will be cheaper :cool:

Err.. i used to have 3 sets of headphones and it was much cheaper and quite easy to choose one tailored to different music genres/recording quality.