Sign in to follow this  
my09sedan

Marantz SR5006 - issue

hey guys

Just got a new Marantz SR5006 (had it for 2 weeks now) and have set-up the new Jamo speakers with it - but cant for the life of me :), get the TV (SHARP LC-46D777x) sound to come through the amp....

The system is as follows:

TV connected to AMP - HDMI

PS3 connected to AMP - HDMI

The PS3 plays fine and we get picture and sounds as we expected, however can not get the TV to push sound through the amp? Have been told verbally that the TV might be to old, and it may not have sound output via HDMI...? (TV is 4 years old)

Have tried plugging a optical fiber cord in, but no luck..

does anyone have any ideas?:)

connecting the normal RCA(?) audio output (red/white) to your amp as well?

I'd definitely be trying to use the optical connection. Note that you may have a setting on your TV that tells it to send the sound to external speakers (check the menus), and your Marantz will also need be switched to whichever optical input you connected it to.

Also, from what I've heard some TVs only pass through sound from their own internal tuner to external speakers. If you're using a set top box and/or pay tv, run an optical cable from that box to your Marantz instead of from your TV.

If all else fails, as already suggested, run twin RCAs from the TV to the Marantz. However, this isn't as good an option as using the optical cable, since the DAC in your Marantz is most likely better than your TV one, so it won't sound as good. Also, you then won't get the 5.1 surround track that's present on (very little) broadcasted material, you'll just get 2.0 stereo. In either case once you get it working, you'll probably want to run your TV input in a Dolby II mode (on the Marantz), as that will attempt to convert any 2.0 signals into 5.1, which should sound better than leaving it as stereo (for example, that way dialog will come through your centre speaker, and thus should be clearer)

If the TV doesn't support ARC then I don't think it will send audio to the Marantz via HDMI. ARC (Audio Return Channel) was introduced in HDMI 1.4. TV's which support ARC usually have it marked on the back against one of the HDMI sockets. The Marantz would also have to support ARC (probably does, but I'm not familiar wih it). In the absence of ARC, I would suggest using the optical (or coax) digital out from your TV.