Recommended Tt Cartridge Repairers

G'day

A friend of mine is need of a retip for his Dynavector Karat 19a low output M/C (aluminium cantilever I think). He is keen to open the packed up vinyl, which has been closed for nigh on 10-15 years.

He has been quoted $470+ to retip with a Microscanner Mk11 diamond, & paid $45 for the assessment &quote :ohmy:

This quote is ~twice what he expected to pay :)

He's not sure if he even needs this suggested upgrade, rather than just retip the cartridge with an original stone :wub:

Can anyone recommend a repairer, or does this quote seem reasonable?

I think he may not proceed at this cost.

Thanks

G

Hi MrHP, am not familiar with this cartridge.

I assume that your friend had the cartridge assessed as needing the stylus replaced ?

Or is he just guessing ?

Tivoli as David suggested are the only ones I know in Aust although perhaps he could check with Dynavector (in Sydney & online) re an exchange.

Re-building MCs is usually not particularly cheap.

The biggest problem I would suspect with a 15 year old cartridge would be with the suspension - these often use rubber type elements which perish or deteriorate with age and air.

He might be better off with a new cartridge if that one is indeed shot.

Probably worth the $45 to be certain of its condition then see what Dynavector will offer.

I wrecked my Ortofon Kontrapunkt A cantilever last year and went to Tivoli for a quote. $27-9 for the repair quote/assessment and $675 for the repair and retip. :wub: No thanks.

Went back to Secher and got a new one for about $500 after Ortofon Australia generous rebate for the old one.

The only place I've heard of is Tivoli HiFi but I've never had a retip done. Apparently they bought out Garrott Bros after the Garrott brothers died.

DS[/b]

I had a Koetsu Red retipped a couple of years back by this mob,cost around $450. They did a great job.

Chris

A number of people overseas offer cartridge repair services and retipping:

Van den Hul

The Cartridge Man

Benz

Soundsmith

Garrott brothers are the only local repairer that I have heard of.

They will all charge around $500.00 to do the job but ultimately it will depend on what needs to be done.

I would think it wouldn't be worth spending the money on a cartridge like this as the new Dynavector 17D, which has received very good reviews, is about $1,000.00 and would have a new suspension, cantilver etc.

On the Garrott Brothers service, I had a Van den Hul cartridge repaired and retipped by them a number of years ago and I was disappointed in the results.The cartridge sounded lifeless and the magic was gone when I got it back I then sent it to Van den Hul and the magic returned. Others report very good results from Garrotts just my 2 cents worth!

Thanks for the info Herby. All good to know.

Raises the question though, if he wants to purchase a new cartridge, where should he start looking?

Remember, he (& I), stopped playing TTs & vinyl ~15 years ago.

Any ideas?

G[/b]

Does not look like any one wants to have a go at this :rolleyes: so I'll be the mug and you can all shout me down.

1 - see what, if anything Dynavector are offering for a trade.

after that much depends on the TT, arm and expectations.

In ascending order of price:

Audio Technica AT 95E

- MM from around $50 on ebay inc shipping - highly recommended by many for a long while.

Denon DL-110/160

- HOMC from around $160 on ebay inc shipping - I like this cartridge a lot - so do many others.

Denon DL-103

- MC from $175 on ebay inc shipping - classic, made since 1962, reference cartridge for recording companies - good review by Werner Ogier on tntaudio.

Definitely repays mass loading.

I am currently running this cartridge and love it.

Other commonly recommended and value priced cartridges :

Audio Technica AT 440MLX

- MM from around $US85 plus shipping, from lpgear.

Audio Technica AT OC 9 ML II

- MC from around $US280 plus shipping, from lpgear.

after that, spend what you like.

Those are the best recommended/value that I am aware of.

Now every one else can jump in with their favourites :P

... 1 - see what, if anything Dynavector are offering for a trade...[/b]

G'day ophool

I passed on info (greatly appreciated thanks guys).

My friend then e-mailed Dynavector Systems Aust.

They suggest his cartridge may be past it, have offered him a trade in deal and sent him the attached pdf

Very interesting reading.

G

post-1151-133211673154_thumb.jpg

The problem with re tipping Dynavector cart's is that most of them use very short [either ruby,diamond or such cantilevers]and as such Garrott's will not [can not?] retip them.

Best bet is to go the whole cartridge replacement/Trade in with Dynavector OZ IMHO,at least you know you are getting something that is up to spec.

http://www.dynavector.com.au/index.php?mai...15ec1696523c029