Anthem MRX500 for a steal

That seems a great price.

I think the Wholesaler has dropped its price by $1000 at the moment. Priced to clear.

http://www.hifitrader.com.au/prod170.htm

Could a new model may be coming?

Edited to correct a factual error. i guess one shouldn't always post what is said by some third parties.

Edited by rantan

I hope they are as good as people say as I just bought an MRX-300 from Audiogon to use as a pre-pro. I suspect the lack of bells and whistles and the need to use a laptop for ARC has turned people off. Not to mention the usual rip-off from the distributors.

Having said that, I would have liked more HDMI inputs and a second output as I will already have to use both component inputs to connect all my gear and have a projector.

Hopefully ARC will do what Audyssey has so far failed to do in the various rooms I've tried it.

G'day guys,

Just thought I'd give a heads up on an amazing deal I spotted today.

I was in Hifi Mart in Toowoomba, the owner is selling off a fair few Anthem MRX500 avr's for $1299.

I think thats an amazing bargain.

http://www.hifimart.com.au/

The Anthem Receivers are selling extremely well. The importer ran out of stock of the MRX300 and in an amazing gesture provided some great temporary pricing on MRX500. Additionally there are some very good bundle prices on Anthem MRX Receivers and MCA or PVA power amplifiers. I've seen the price list, Anthem prices are going up soon.

That seems a very good price.

I think the Wholesaler/importer? has dropped its price by $1000 at the moment. Priced to clear.

http://www.hifitrader.com.au/prod170.htm

Could a new model may be coming?

Just a note with that one - written at the bottom:

"NOTE: This is an ex display unit, but it is in as new condition and in original packaging."

The Anthem Receivers are selling extremely well. The importer ran out of stock of the MRX300 and in an amazing gesture provided some great temporary pricing on MRX500. Additionally there are some very good bundle prices on Anthem MRX Receivers and MCA or PVA power amplifiers. I've seen the price list, Anthem prices are going up soon.

Thanks Philip. Looking at exactly that combo (MRX-300 with MCA-50) - is the price list available yet or not released? and have they been reviewed with any of your speakers?

I was interested by these before I went down another path. One of the big issues for me was the US RRP pricing appeared to be well below the sale or discounted pricing.

For me the perception of good pricing unfortunately has to be there. when something is on sale here for the US RRP, i find it difficult.

Really interested in hearing how the MRX-300 goes as a pre-amp. Looking at the same with an MCA-50 and VAF DC-X setup.

I ended up getting the MRX-500 here instead of shipping an MRX-300 from the US. Contrary to the above post, mine was actually cheaper here than in the States.n

I set it up today, just for two channel initially. It was replacing a Denon 2809 I used as a prepro. Before that I had an Onkyo 886.

My speakes are actively tri-amped and EQed using a Behringer DCX2496 so I was most interested in what ARC could add (or detract). Audyssey XT made my stem sound worse so I use it in bypass mode so just the sub is EQed.

In brief, the Anthem does both sound and measure better. Not dramatically because my speakers sound pretty good already, but noticeably. The question is whether I could EQ them using the Behringer to sound as good. Possibly, but it might be too hard.

So the Anthem may be a keeper, except I am eyeing one of their Prepros now. If I grab it there may be a two day old MRX in the trading section.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
I was interested by these before I went down another path. One of the big issues for me was the US RRP pricing appeared to be well below the sale or discounted pricing.

For me the perception of good pricing unfortunately has to be there. when something is on sale here for the US RRP, i find it difficult.

My opinion as well. Especially as the AUS is roughly parity with the USD. I know there are other factors at play but some margins are hugh in Australia.