Improvement when using external amp?

I am running Denon AVR3808 (7*130W) with B&W CDM7(se) as L/R spekers, CDM1 as surround an a B&W one step smaller for centre (space restrictions).

I am wondering if there would be any use in not using the 3808' s internals amps, but possibly using the pre-outs (3808 has preouts for all channels) and an external amp.

Wondering as in would there be any real / big improvement in sound (given this setup) at all??

I am pretty happy with the setup as it is, just wondering... Obviously not something easily tested or tried (without investing:-)). hence hoping some of you have experience with that...

Most AVRs have over optimistic ratings.

The transformer and power supply stages really choke if all the channels are driven.

Enabling preouts to external amps for the front 2 or 3 speakers relieves the load and I was pleasantly surprised how much better the surrounds which were still powered by the AVR were.

I'm using a Denon 4810

For multichannel I have B&W 804s and a Denon 4310, which replaced a Marantz 7300OSE about 12 months ago. I have been using a power amp for the front two channels since before the 804s when I ran the 705s that I now have at the rear.

The made in Japan 4810 and 4310 are supposed to be the receivers you use for more difficult loads. Reality is you still need a power amp for the front channels (2 or 3) for best results.

You should look for an SNA buddy in WA that would be happy to drop around with his power amp under his arm. The other alternative is to pick up a second hand power amp on the SNA classifieds. If it doesn't float your boat just sell it for what you paid.

I am pretty happy with the setup as it is, just wondering... Obviously not something easily tested or tried (without investing:-)). hence hoping some of you have experience with that...

If the current amplification could not handle the volume level or load that the loudspeaker currently draws u would find compression in dynamic swings of music/movie affects ect.

Your next step is to extend the frequency range and add a sub/s, this will bring a whole new level that no power amp currently available will. It also allows even greater dynamic range as the Receiver won't have to power ur current speakers into bass regions they can't fully support.

Guest Peter the Greek

I use a 3808 as a pre-amp, its good, but I have "active" speakers

I'd get a sub first, I doubt you'll notice any massive improvement getting an external amp - SGR are selling a ball tearing 18" sub at present, cheap too

I use a 3808 as a pre-amp, its good, but I have "active" speakers

I'd get a sub first, I doubt you'll notice any massive improvement getting an external amp - SGR are selling a ball tearing 18" sub at present, cheap too

Should have mentioned that form the get-go ... Do have a sub (REL Quake) :-). Connected both by the single cable connection ('passive'?) as with the leads that are attached to the speaker outputs of the L and R as well ..

So Sub is pretty well sorted ..

Edited by perthpete

It could make a big difference, if you choose well. I've connected the L/R pre-outs of my Marantz SR6200 AVR to my Musical Fidelity E11 stereo amp (which I already had when I bought the SR6200). Sounds a lot better in surround mode with both amps running than with just the SR6200 alone, more dynamic. It also means that I can still use the E11 by itself for music.

In all likelihood, I would think separate power amps would probably make a significant difference, although I haven't gone down that path myself.