Weird, Avante Garde & "Out There" Spinning

I'm quite fascinated by this guy's work... Not that it is groundbreaking or anything but I like Morton Feldman and La Monte Young and this music kind of flows in that stream... Must be one of my favorite discoveries of this year.

Quote:

"The entirety of Origin's musical material is comprised of the vibrating strings of Pitre's ensemble of bowed "harmonic-guitars," which are unconventionally strung electric guitars (utilizing multi-unisons) tuned to intervals corresponding with the Harmonic Series, a.k.a. Just Intonation. No effects processing (pre or post) was used in this recording. All effect-like qualities result from the multi-unison strings (phasing), sympathetic vibrations, combination/difference tones (of the chosen just tuning), and natural acoustic phenomena as such."

Duane Pitre - Origin (Root Strata LP)

originw.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can give a strong recommendation to the first three albums released by the Deep Distance label (http://www.greatpopsupplement.com/deepdistance.html). I believe that you can still buy copies on eBay but the releases are largely sold out in record shops. Essentially each album consists of experimental electronica motivated by label owner Dom's love "love of all things motorik and kosmische". I can also heartily recommend the releases on the main Great Pop Supplement label, both in terms of wierdness of some of the music and the sheer beauty of the records Dom produces. The artwork is phenomenal. Each release is usually capped at around 500 copies and sells out instantly. The resale values for early GPS releases are insane (if that kind of thing matters to you).

If you are a fan of Krautrock/Motorik then the upcoming album by Eat Lights, Become Lights on GPS will be just the thing for you.

I can also recommend recent releases by GNOD (Chaudenland Vol 1 and 2) Carlton Melton (Smoke Drip) and Kandodo (Kandodo) for sheer bloody minded out thereness.

Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer

Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain

Secret Chiefs 3 - Traditionalists

Wish I knew how to post pics on my iPhone...

+1 to all those!! Naked City's Torture Garden is always an unnerving listen, as is anything by Diamanda Galas.

• Like 1

Collider - Nantbach & Sandwich

1970303561-1.jpg

Brand new band, free official download here @320k

SRBlues, Caddis, Houds I suggest you guys get onto this. It's seriously good jazz/rock impro within solid funky rhythmic forms

Giving this a crack ATM and enjoying it very much. The link didn't work for me, maybe try this http://www.colliderama.com/album/nantbach-sandwich and you can get it as massive FLAC file too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

0000246566_350.jpg

Percussionist who has recorded with the Secret Chiefs 3. Solo percussion explorations, very good recording, lots of close mic stuff. I find this really dreamy/surreal. Would go nicely with some absinthe and the browned, torn pages of a classic penguin edition Kafka or Lautreamont.

Edited by houdinifangs
  • Like 2

0000246566_350.jpg

Percussionist who has recorded with the Secret Chiefs 3. Solo percussion explorations, very good recording, lots of close mic stuff. I find this really dreamy/surreal. Would go nicely with some absinthe and the browned, torn pages of a classic penguin edition Kafka or Lautreamont.

Ah Houdi, I can imagine you in a previous life laying back with opium pipe resting gently on bottom lip, listening to the sound of a Himalayan zephir stirring the wind chimes into a hazy, narcotic melody...... ;)

• Like 2

This cd just in the mail from Germany

Noto/Sakamoto & Ensemble Modern - utp_

R-N096-3.jpg

Alva Notos intriguing soundscapes are the setting for spare & beautiful piano and string ensemble accents. Very trippy stuff... I'm drifting away here..........................

• Like 1

Is this out there or just absurd?: 3 accordionists, drum machine & effects doing Kraftwerk covers for the most part. Just goes to show that winters are long and cold in Finland and can do funny things to your head. This is not a recommendation ...

post-108525-0-35226000-1349501544.jpg

Edited by k-k-k-kenny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

0000320182_500.jpg

Subtle, ethereal, cerebral mash ups of the orchestral works of Debussy. For fans of minimalism.

You mean...like Debussy??

Have a problem with this kind of thing, but I'm an old fart. Having said that the Steve Reich remix album a few years back was an interesting exercise

0000246566_350.jpg

If you like this and find it mesmerising, check out Steve Reich Drumming, link to movement 3 included