Weird, Avante Garde & "Out There" Spinning

Spinning anything a bit strange? Perhaps the sort of thing that inspires a hearty "what's that!?" that borders on scary, sublime, annoying or even bit boring. This kind of music has given me much joy for many years and can really be a treat on a nice system.

• Like 2

CS1349442-02A-BIG.jpg

Arve Henriksen - Strjon

A low key, atmospheric affair by Arve Henriksen featuring trumpet, voice and electronics. The trumpet is beautifully recorded with a very pure,'breathy' close mic sound. A late night chin stroker best enjoyed alone with a hot cup of tea (or two) sipped slowly.

• Like 3

Hi Houdini

Nice thread! I'm just now playing the sample Soundcloud mix on the Sugar Mountain festival website (on tomorrow at the Forum in Melb - nah, I'm not going unfortunately). Some of that would qualify - I enjoyed Prince Rama (Brooklynites raised on a Hare Krishna commune! )and on Animal Collective's label Paw Tracks)) and Sun Araw; Pets With Pets too

check out sugarmountainfestival.com

and plenty of other 'weird' gets spun around here - especially if you count ethnomusicology, field recordings, free jazz and noise-rock (Dead C, Siltbreeze artists, SS records etc). So not hi-fi!

Dylan :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amelia Cuni

Live, October 18 2006

Budapest, Jövõ Háza Teátrum (Budapest Autumn Festival)

Programme: John Cage: 18 microtonal ragas - 58th solo from the Song Books (1970)

Personnel:

Amelia Cuni - dhrupad singing

Ray Kaczynski and Federico Sanesi - percussion

Werner Durand - drones and electronics

Good quality audience recording. Downloaded via dime a few days ago. Mesmerising sounds.

• Like 2

Nana Vasconcelos, "Saudades". When this was released it seriously blew my mind, still does (even without the medications!)

http://soundological.blogspot.com/2008/08/nan-vasconcelos-nana-vasconcelos.html

One of my favourite records ever & a wonderful example of Manfred Eicher getting it right at ECM. Egberto Gismonti is just as crazy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

pick yourself up a copy of Almodovar’s the Skin I Live In soundtrack, most tracks recorded at highly regarded Air Studios London (check out their gear!))

some great moody classical pieces and the sound quality is astounding!! There's even a Trentemoller track.

In Melbourne, Discurio has it

www.amazon.com/Skin-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B005T5OACA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1327628253&sr=1-1

< Another absolutely brilliant soundtrack from Alberto Iglesias. For those that have seen Almodovar's latest masterpiece, you'll understand the passion and intensity that made this music integral to the film. Listening to the mournful yet simultaneously threatening strings, the two wonderful Concha Buika pieces and the Trentmoller transported me back into the theatre.

Tracks such as "El Asalto del Hombre Tigre" show the genius of Iglesias - echoing the modernity of the Trentmoller and building upon it, layering the suspense and tension until he creates music that becomes ingrained in your mind. Like that scene, the music on this album seems to be inseparable from the visuals that accompanied it.

Overall, this soundtrack is a fantastic addition to the history of collaborations between these two artists. Almodovar's liner notes in the packaging are a nice bonus too. Like "Talk To Her", it's one that I'll be listening to over and over again. If you are open to the complexity of emotions that the film poses, you'll find yourself transformed by this work. >

http://www.airstudios.com

composer Alberto Iglesias

a sample clip of the music, superbly atmospheric, suspenseful, mysterious……… well, cinematic

highly recommend the film too!! Outrageous plot, only Almodovar could get away with it.

regards Ian

• Like 1

azioni.jpg

Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza - Azioni (Die Schachtel 2CD + DVD)

Ideal companion to the War Of The End Of The World.

Wikipedia:

The collective was formed by Italian composer Franco Evangelisti in Rome in 1964. Drawing on Jazz, Serialism, Musique concrete, and other Avant-garde techniques developed by contemporary classical music composers such as Luigi Nono and Giacinto Scelsi, the group was dedicated to the development of new music techniques by improvisation, noise-techniques and anti-musical systems. The group members and frequent guests made use of extended techniques on traditional classical instruments, as well as Prepared piano, Tape music and Electronic music. During the 1970s the music continued to involve to embrace techniques and genres such as guitar feedback and Funk. In addition to concerts, the group issued a series of LP's, and also contributed to recording group member Ennio Morricone's score for Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura (1971). The group was disbanded after Evangelisti's death in 1980.

[edit]Members

Mario Bertoncini (perc, piano) Walter Branchi (double-bass) Franco Evangelisti (piano) John Heineman (trombone, cello) Roland Kayn (Hammond organ, vibraphone, marimba) Egisto Macchi (perc, celesta) Ennio Morricone (trumpet) Frederic Rzewski (piano)

Edited by sligoriverblues
wikipedia
  • Like 1

I recommend anything by John Hassell, an American trumpeter who was doing world/weird/wild/willful music years and years ago.Most are available on eBay. My first album of his DREAM THEORY IN MALAYA, which has one track featuring native water players- you read correctly.

Other titles of his I can recommend include the following;

BLUESCREEN ( more funky, incredibly dynamic)

Maarifa Street (more ethnic ambient)

Vernal Equinox (ambient drone/mood)

the last two have, in my opinion, amongst the best album titles I have ever enjoyed;

"Last night the moon came dropping it's clothes in the street" ( defies description)

And the brilliant,

"The Surgeon of the Nightsky Restores Dead Things by the Power of Sound"- also hard describe but proof that musicians often tap into higher mysteries.

Enjoy, Dingo.

Oren Ambarchi + Robbie Avenaim - Clockwork

Interesting music, not terribly well recorded but it's live (subtle drones/noise and lots of looped/flittering/chiming percussion)

This is one of a few downloads I bought from Room 40 last week. Cheap but 320k mp3 only.

Edited by rehabitat
ch ch change-e-es,
  • Like 1

Nana Vasconcelos, "Saudades". When this was released it seriously blew my mind, still does (even without the medications!)

One of my favourite records ever & a wonderful example of Manfred Eicher getting it right at ECM. Egberto Gismonti is just as crazy.

Um, I just checked the link and based on that and your comment; I want this.

• Like 1

I have just found what I suspect is the most obscure but intriguing and different albums in my collection. I knew I had it, I just could not find it.

It's on the POINT MUSIC label, dating from 1994, entitled INSTRUMENT OF CHANGE, by multi-instrumentalist, JARON LANIER. This guy plays a multitude of odd instruments, of all ethnic origins, and in often different ways from which they were intended to sound. It's quite mind-bending in the best of ways, and I think after a few plays, you actually start to 'hear' in different ways. Most compositions/performances are in the acoustic sphere, with only one title featuring a bit of 'good ol' electronica'.

Jaron also discusses his approach to, and philosophy of what he does, and this makes very interesting reading. It helps guide you into what he is doing.

I don't know if this is still in print, but would be worth searching eBay for. I recommend it highly.Howling, Dingo.

Just checked AMAZON, it has two copies as of today.

Edited by dingo

Listening to this right now. In a word; extraordinary. It will take a few listens to sink in properly, which is always a good thing.

Thank You Very Much!

• Like 1

Listening to this right now. In a word; extraordinary. It will take a few listens to sink in properly, which is always a good thing.

Thank You Very Much!

I know of nothing else like it. If you are like me, it will get a frequent late night listen. The voices can really freak you out when they catch you by surprise. Glad to turn someone on to Nana.

• Like 1

Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World

Mash ups of old 78's with some subtle IDM. Fans of Gas, Pierre Bastien and Biosphere (especially his Debussy remixes) may enjoy this too.

http://soundological.blogspot.com/20...sconcelos.html

Both of these sound great. Will definitely look into these.

Really enjoying this thread in general. I feel like i've walked into a large, dark and slightly chilly room with different surreal sounds filtering through numerous closed doors.

• Like 1

Yeah Amazon and associates are good. I use grooveshark to stream before buying as well. Most of my 'odd' stuff though I got the hard way - trawling the shops. There was a shop in Melbourne called Synaethesia that specialized in the weird and wonderful, perhaps one of the best in the world. But I believe the owner was too successful and reallocated to the UK. The store Title (Sydney/Melb) gets some good stuff too. When I lived in Sydney Red Eye Was good but when I went to their new store last year I was very disappointed - Oren mustn't work there anymore...

• 2 weeks later...

Some experimental/different/out there indie worth checking out:

Well first, my favourite artist of all time: Xiu Xiu. Experimental/pop/ emotional .Any of their ( or his) albums are worth checking out, although I have become more of a fan of their later stuff, their early stuff is more experimental but still deffinately worth checking out.

Olivia Tremor Control. Modern psych pop/ experimental/ Lo Fi from the Elephant 6 family of artists.

Neutral Milk Hotel. Singer/ Song Writer/ Lo Fi. Another from the Elephant 6 family, only released two albums, both brilliant.

Sunset Rubdown. Indie/experimental. Very different take on indie, quite emotional. Another all time favourite.

Antony and The Johnsons. The music is reasonable straightforward, but it is his voice and lyrics that are out there ( and his looks). For years I disliked Antony and The Johnsons, always disliked his voice, but now I am absolutely entranced by it.

Tune yards. Experimental/ pop/ Lofi. This stuff really grows on you.

The Microphones/Mount Eerie. Lofi/indie/folk/ experimental. More of a fan when he/they were known as the microphones, their stuff as Mount Eerie is still worth checking out.

Cheers