Weird, Avante Garde & "Out There" Spinning

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2020 at 8:14 PM, zippi said:

this is biitchin' on so many levels...

Laibach - Honourable, Dead or Alive, When Following the Revolutionary Road (Arduous March version)

Saw these statues in Michael Palin's latest travel doco, his "guided" tour, love his comments when his minders aren't around.

https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/michael-palin:-from-monty-python-to-north-korea/11530626

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

This is probably the only thread on SNA where people will be interested in this:

Australasian Computer Music Conference

https://acmc2020.com/index.html

Folks might be interested to tune in to this over the coming days. The presentation last night (now posted on their youtube channel) was really interesting and I’m so impressed with some of the stuff that the younger folks are attempting. Things like trying to build anti-LRAD devices, and using sonification to educate people about the impacts of colonialism on local waterways.

I’m in no way affiliated with this, just thought it was worth sharing

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This won't be for everyone on here, but it definitely ticks the weird, avant-garde and out there boxes.

Form Grows Rampant - The Threshold Houseboys Choir

This is an amazing album by Peter Christopherson, ex Coil, Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV.  He's one of my favourite producers and videographers and was a big influencer in the graphic design world, working as one of the partners in the design collective Hipgnosis.

It's a completely artificially created album using a bunch of throat music plugins for the vocals, set to a video he took at a vegetarian festival in Krung Thep in Thailand.  As part of the festival, young delinquents are sort of hypnotised then they form a sort of sacrifice to the gods in places where car accidents and the like happened, to ward off the evil spirits that live in these places.  

WARNING: This is not for the squeamish it's but pretty incredible stuff and the music that accompanies it is very unique and seemingly perfect for this job. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

This won't be for everyone on here, but it definitely ticks the weird, avant-garde and out there boxes.

Form Grows Rampant - The Threshold Houseboys Choir

This is an amazing album by Peter Christopherson, ex Coil, Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV.  He's one of my favourite producers and videographers and was a big influencer in the graphic design world, working as one of the partners in the design collective Hipgnosis.

It's a completely artificially created album using a bunch of throat music plugins for the vocals, set to a video he took at a vegetarian festival in Krung Thep in Thailand.  As part of the festival, young delinquents are sort of hypnotised then they form a sort of sacrifice to the gods in places where car accidents and the like happened, to ward off the evil spirits that live in these places.  

WARNING: This is not for the squeamish it's but pretty incredible stuff and the music that accompanies it is very unique and seemingly perfect for this job. 

Taking acupuncture to a new level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Having a tidy up and found Portsmouth Sinfonia, Plays The Popular Classics. 

The self-proclaimed "world's worst orchestra" was founded by Gavin Bryars in 1970 when he was lecturing at the Portsmouth School of Art.

Bryars wanted to engage the masses with classical music, and sought a way to liberate the form from the pomposity of its audience. His idea was to form an orchestra of the people. Anyone could join, regardless of skill. Most notable member is probably Brian Eno.

926403264_PortsmouthSinfonia.jpg.cd2a4cfb5ce6e23fd871dd8461d1cb4b.jpg

JJ

• Haha 3

On 07/01/2020 at 5:51 PM, ericd said:

Not sure if this the right thread, but I just read that Hildur Gudnadottir became the first woman (as a solo artist) to win a Golden Globe for best film score for Joker. I didn't even know she did that, now I will have to see it. It's that weird realisation that your favourite 'underground' artist suddenly became world famous while you weren't paying attention.

She also collaborated with Johann Johannsson on a soundtrack to a documentary that Johannsson filmed called End Of Summer.

images (28) - 2020-12-18T192504.247.jpeg

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, Janjuc said:

Hi All,

Having a tidy up and found Portsmouth Sinfonia, Plays The Popular Classics. 

The self-proclaimed "world's worst orchestra" was founded by Gavin Bryars in 1970 when he was lecturing at the Portsmouth School of Art.

Bryars wanted to engage the masses with classical music, and sought a way to liberate the form from the pomposity of its audience. His idea was to form an orchestra of the people. Anyone could join, regardless of skill. Most notable member is probably Brian Eno.

926403264_PortsmouthSinfonia.jpg.cd2a4cfb5ce6e23fd871dd8461d1cb4b.jpg

JJ

Reminds me of an LP a mate had back in late 60's early 70's, he loved annoying all and sundry with it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guckenheimer_Sour_Kraut_Band

<The Guckenheimer Sour Kraut Band was a humorous musical group of amateur musicians living in the San Francisco, California, area who played a repertoire of polkas and light classical music while adopting a persona of mild confusion and wearing self-created uniforms once described as rejects from the Franco-Prussian War. The group originally formed one Christmas season in 1949 to play carols in Sausalito, California, and someone brought a book of polka music, possibly one of the "Hungry Five" books by Harry L. Alford whose music became a basic part of the Guckenheimer repertoire. The group became increasingly popular in northern California, often invited to play at wine festivals and openings and in later years for such august occasions as opening night of the San Francisco Symphony.

Although all were business professionals, the group joined Local 6 of the American Federation of Musicians and became "professional musicians" when they were invited by San Francisco Records to make its first record album, "Oom-Pah-Pah In Hi-Fi"—described on its front cover as "The sourest German village band music ever!" Although the group played for laughs, all its members were quite adequate musicians, some of them very good. The occasional native German-born listener would often remark on the Guckenheimers' similarity to actual village bands back in the old country. The village band sound was authentic enough RCA Victor signed the group to record a second album, "Sour Kraut In Hi Fi" (LPM-1453)

The name of the group was taken from an obscure brand of whiskey and adopted by the group's leader, Richard B. Gump, who took on the persona of Herr Doktor Fritz Guckenheimer, Kapellmeister. All of the other band members adopted names that were some variant of Schmidt. Gump was a San Francisco art dealer and owner of Gump's store in downtown San Francisco, which was also the recording location of their best known record album for RCA Victor Records "Music For Non-Thinkers" (LSP/LPM 1721), which was recorded on Sunday, December 29, 1957, in stereo. It was released in 1958. It was re-released on an unknown date, and kept the original stereo catalog number, but adopted a new per-side catalog number as well, >

here's a taste!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jim O'Rourke 

Eureka. 

Ear candy. This album has it all. After listening to a flac version for the last 10 years I finally got around to buying the LP today. Some albums are just made to be played loudly on a Lenco and a big pair of Duntechs... This is one of them. Sheets all over the digital version I once loved. 

Excuse the 'out there' cover and included poster of the Bruce Lee God. 

20210115_184913.jpg

20210115_184935.jpg

16106993374971904274653249136517.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have always admired Jim O'Rourke's ability to traverse 'genre', as if that term itself has no relevance to what he does. 'Halfway to a Three-way' is some of the sweetest sounding pop production I've ever heard, which makes some of the disconcerting lyrical fixations even more unsettling!

Then there's his Steamroom series, which in and of itself provides a lifetime of listening: https://steamroom.bandcamp.com/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...