Weird, Avante Garde & "Out There" Spinning

• 2 weeks later...

I think I hit the jackpot today. Scouring one of the local op shops, a new donation must have just come in. Along with some great quality classical and jazz LP's (all in zip lock protective sleeves, mind you- this was almost certainly from a recently deceased collector), I found this box set in great condition.

R-328100-1096213872.gif.jpg

A quick look on discogs tells me that this is my lucky day. I need to take a closer look and have no intention of flipping it, but this is something I will love listening to that I would never ever afford otherwise.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I like that.

Wishing I'd not heard Amon Tobin's output is the same as wishing I'd not seen the first season of Rick and Morty - so I could experience them again for the first time.

Amon is an aural soundscape artist. There's nothing of his I don't like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have just played Mauricio Kagel: 1898 & Music for Renaissance Instruments after buying it a few weeks ago.
Absolutely stunning piece. Wonderful recording, great soundstaging, detail and dynamics - so nice not to be brick-walled.
Not sure if MrsFeline will remove the audio system after this listening though.
MI0001006972.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

James Plotkin - Kurtlanmak/Damascus

CD 2006 Utech Records

utech-9.jpg

Guitar drones and electronickery, live performances on two separate occasions.

"If a random Turkish-English dictionary isn't lying to me, then "kurtlanmak" is a word that can be translated as "become infested with worms" or "to become agitated... go stir crazy." The definition is fitting for the music. Kurtlanmak was originally released on Utech records in an edition of 200 copies; this release features a remastered version of that track and a dreary, visceral companion piece that slowly works its way into the body and begins to dissolve it."

http://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5854&Itemid=9

• Like 3

Andrea Belfi & Machinefabriek - Pulses & Places

CD 2009 Brombron

original.jpg

Andrea has become one of my favourite artists over recent times and this CD has been spinning regularly at the habitat of re since I obtained it a few months ago. Clearly a lot of the material was recycled onto Andrea's subsequent and excellent solo album, "Wege". I don't know anything about Machinefabriek, but I like what I hear. Experimental electro/acoustic sounds. Quiet. Reflective. Still. Perfect for a Friday night winding-down.

buona notte

Edited by rehabit@
  • Like 6

post-132814-0-99468300-1460129677_thumb.

This is a new album from Denver based musician/composer JANET FEDER. This was recorded at Immersive Studios on the Gus Skinas 32 Channel Sonoma System.

If that may lead you to think this is pristine studio concoction, you would be wrong.

The album is available from BANDCAMP , vinyl , and the one I have , SACD.

I have listened to this set for more than a month now, and it has taken ages to get a sense of what I am hearing.

The artist is a primarily a guitarist,with a reputation for ' treating' instruments, and a singer /composer.

She also has a rather amazing sonic world she tries to convey on the album. This is very much a 3D type experience. But do not think in terms of pin point sound. With the use of ' found sounds' it is awash with shifting atmospheres, and the SACD allows the listener to clearly discern the layers of sounds.

So what starts as a rather different take on an Americana type feel, soon goes to some very odd places.

It is highly original, and very evocative.

Point of reference: the best I can come up with is imagine Lucinda Williams popping out to get her groceries, and Brian Eno slipping into the studio, and doing his 'weirdnesses' all over the tapes.

Highly recommended to those listeners who visit this forum.

ZM.

Edited by Zen Mister
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Translucence.jpg

Not entirely sure Poly Styrene qualifies as an 'outsider musician' but she surely comes close.

She always managed to put a smile on my face with her unique outlook, going way back to her X-Ray Spex days.

Very difficult to describe this music. "Ancient avant-garde"? "Sophisticated primal". Or maybe just exquisitely beautiful & moving. Sydney composer, Paul Cutlan, who I love mostly through his jazz ensembles & work with MARA! has scored an elegy to the vast landscape of Australia's top-end. It is performed by Cutlan on bass clarinet & soprano, Brett Hirst on double bass & a string quartet calling themselves The NOISE. The post modern classicists are obviously an influence but probably none more so than Percy Grainger. Raw, sweet dissonance & hauntingly spiritual melodies. A masterpiece, organically captured at Sydney's Studios 301.

PAUL-CUTLAN-2-300x300.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice one Mike ^oo^. I have seen Paul play locally a few times in different ensembles, you would remember him from the Ambon gig, He plays a mean bass clarinet playing but didn't know he was also a composer..... I like the way you described that.

Labfield - Bucket of Songs

LP

hubro2552cd_cu.jpg

Dumb sounding band name, dumber album title. The music is pure inspiration. Three track feature vocals by Mariam Wallentin, otherwise it is an adventure in improvised electro/acoustic experimental sounds. Fantastic, dynamic recording and an excellent pressing.

Edit: @@Sir Sanders Zingmore IMO this thread is also worth watching.

Edited by Dave O)))
  • Like 4