Audio Definition Owners & Discussion Thread

I want to see those bikini shots too...... lol

Lia

very modest bikini and masses of curly hair.

i used to go out with the busty blonde who won that year hence the clippings from the port advertiser.

regards,g.

Which leads me to the question. Who is the most attractive woman in the hi fi industrie EVER !!!

Ha--Well At the early 90's shows Mark had his then Girl friend, and later wife Kim Cattrall handing out flyers at his room.

Today--hard to say but a few years ago Jozefína Lichtenegger from EAT was cutting a fine look at CES.

Willco

Well I haven't seen her but I have spoken to her nice lady smart too what a pity she doesn't make speakers anymore if you read this Lia it was really great to chat with you.

Cheers

Sebastian

• 9 months later...

Hi Lia, Nth QL, sounds excellent & hopefully really relaxing for you. I bought a set Of large Audio Definitions (no where near top of the range), and it was my 1st real foray into quality gear. I was lucky enough to have found you guys, referred by Harry, I've lived in Port Mac for the last 24 yrs, and the speakers were and still are excellent, so great that when my wife pushed hard for smaller speakers, I had real trouble letting them go. My eventual choice was to sell them to a good mate 5 doors up, supply him with an alright Harmann Kardon Hi power 650 and I now enjoy them at his place on weekend visits. One proviso was that if he ever wanted to change speakers, I get 1st choice of repurchasing them.

On my 1st visit to Lia & Glenns place, I made the mistake of assuming Glenn was the main designer and was blown away that Lia had such vast knowledge and did the designing, apologies again Lia. They had a great setup and I was so impressed with my purchase, I returned and got brochures on almost every model available. I still have them somewhere and probably in good nick, the Enterprises included.

Lia explained some of the science in their manufacture, where + how sound is generated from a driver, time alignment, etc, what a lady, Thanks Lia

The plan was to upgrade in the future but 3 kids really slowed that down and by the time I was seriously considering another model, it was too late.

. I caught up with Glenn last year and still owe him a driver for some speaker maintenance, might try to catch up this weekend.

Anyway, you are both wonderful people and wish you all the very best, I've still got Glenns ex-police boots I picked up at the "clearing sale". Take it easy and enjoy all you can,

The Photo?, I recall that in the local paper I think, lovely Lia. If it is available, It'd be nice to have a copy, I'm sure it would look great near the speakers at Boz's place, I'm not sure my wife would get it here in the house.

PS. The speaker cartons lasted a good 3-4 mths as a maze I constructed with lots of tape and stuff for the kids, very happy days. I've very recently found a replacement for the AD's under Glenn's advice, A beaut pair of Orpheus Aurora 3s, as yet to be fully set up with a Rotel RHB10 + an old REL strata subwoofer, and an Onkyo AV 727 which is next in line to be bypassed. I need equivalent Hi quality front end and preamp as funds become available, Have to be 2nd hand but there's some nice stuff out there for a moderate price. Advice requested on suitable components, I'm leaning toward Rotel obviously, pretty likely HDCD.

Take care of your ears and all the best to both Lia and Glenn, cheers, Mark

Note: for stereo purists, if you haven't heard a good quality "Q sound" recording on CD, try one, your in for a major surprise. Roger Waters "Amused To Death" is stunning BUT, be warned. The lyrics are highly confronting and disturbing, It took me a good 6 months to get it in context and then it became a favourite. I'm not sure if it's necessary to have a fair bit of Pink Floyd under your belt to "get It", There's not many people I know that are even aware of it. I suggest you Don't play it with Kids around, you will traumatize them.

Enough already, Good night. -_-

Probably not good form, but I will add that I have one of its power conditioners. It's a sturdy thing and drips quality. I managed to get the speil as well, which shows how serious they were in the design. I can scan and post if anyone would like to read it. Aparently the transformers are good for another decade, at least, so I'm stoked.

Cheers, Thistle.

Hey 'Thistleblower' timestamp '1326179892' post '636184' I wasn't aware of the power conditioners fron Lia + Glen, I live in Port + visited the factory a few times, Sometimes I.m a bit slow on the uptake and don't realize when it' "time to go". Anyhow, with a lot of luck over the decades I've cobbled together some fine components, to the extent that perhaps a power conditioner is in order as a next stepup. There's probably a few on the market and I know the UK HI End market swore by them, or at them depending on ability.

Knowing Lia + Glen's attention to detail combined with technical expertise, I'd trust the Technical specification's they chose as a benchmark with which to choose something out of the market place. I only have a modest budget, so HI quality newbies are probably out. I'd appreciate the posting of any info on the Audio Definition model and any verbal info you may recall if you would thanks.

Like many, it would be a pipe dream to hope to get a 2nd hand one of Lia + Glen's at an affordable price, TOOO much in demand I'd suspect, but I like the research nearly as much as the acquisition and final tryout, as much a search of knowledge combined with art as anything. These two are full of surprises. anyhow thanks for anything you can offer, and got to say this is one of the best forum s I've come across on things HIFI. Thanks again, Kram

• 5 weeks later...

I sourced a pair of "Audio Definition" speakers via eBay in 2006. However I was unable to source any meaningful history behind the brand until I came across this posting this morning.

These speakers are very large and weigh some 60 kilos each. They have four drivers, a tweeter and a small ribbon speaker in each cabinet. I (and others) find the mid to high end is stunning and very different to much "high end" gear out there.

I was recently tempted to trade these out (I am currently selling 3 B&W802 matrix 80's via eBay at this time) as I have recently purchased a really wonderful pair of Pioneer S1-EX's (TAD technology) to add to my collection.

However and upon painful review, I cannot part with these babies as they add a different dimension to the mix (I also run a pair of ML Odyssey’s), and I like the idea of jumping from one set of speakers, to another, or often driving two / or more sets at once to reinforce the soundscape.

I am attempting to contact Lia to ascertain what series / model these great speakers belonged to. I shall eventually post some images of these babies if anyone is interested.

Edited by artofthefirstpeople
  • Like 1

My avatar is one of the Audio Definition brochures.

These speakers were quality and still are today and yes very little known about them when I spoke to Lia she informed me that most of their business went to Asia China their biggest market so its probably a good bet we won't be seeing much of their stuff ever coming back through the second hand sites

I don't plan on selling my Duets and maybe you should hold on to yours in fact you are only the second owner of this brand of speakers that I've heard about they've almost been forgotten about which is a great shame upload some pics it would be nice to some more of these speakers in all their glory.

Even the pics aren't on the net if you do manage to get in contact with Lia she will give you loads of info she's a great lady.

• 5 months later...
Thank you for buying my speakers -

The Duets were my favourite model.

If they are 16 years old I can safely say that they were the final design. That is Seas 6" bass drivers x 2 and a Seas Neodinium Tweeter (bullet) horn loaded.

If you press gently on the front of the sock you can feel them and there symmetric positioning.

They are bass reflex. The port is at about half way down the front.

The sock is not easy to remove and replace - but if absolutely necessary it starts at the bottom. Bass plate then sock then terminals. It is tricky lining it back up to put it back together. I have photos is you want to message me your number or email.

If you have any other questions - I am happy to talk with you.. my number is down further on this thread.

Kind regards

Lia

Hi lia a friend gave me pair your speakers i don't anything about them any info on them be nice could you help on them audio definition synergy no 6004 they are near 6ft tall they have grey top and bottom but my friend paint top gold paint don't know why.

Hi lia a friend gave me pair your speakers i don't anything about them any info on them be nice could you help on them audio definition synergy no 6004 they are near 6ft tall they have grey top and bottom but my friend paint top gold paint don't know why.

got lot picture of them i have remove colth from them see what in side and put backon it on my facebook page here link so see what they like. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=419812901450891&set=pcb.419822391449942&type=1&theater

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was hoping someone could please help me.

I purchased a pair of Audio Definition Synergy 6015 speakers brand new many years ago, love them to bits and they are still going strong.

I originally had a glossy ad for them with specs etc. but I've lost it over the years, I even think that the ad had something about an award the speakers won from memory.

Can anyone give me any technical info about the speakers?

In particular what impedance/ohms are they rated at.

Watts etc would be awesome too.

I am particularly interested in the impedance because I recently upgraded to a new receiver and want to set it to the correct ohms to make sure I don't damage my beautiful speakers.

Hoping someone can help.

Cheers

Was hoping someone could please help me. I purchased a pair of Audio Definition Synergy 6015 speakers brand new many years ago, love them to bits and they are still going strong. I originally had a glossy ad for them with specs etc. but I've lost it over the years, I even think that the ad had something about an award the speakers won from memory. Can anyone give me any technical info about the speakers? In particular what impedance/ohms are they rated at. Watts etc would be awesome too. I am particularly interested in the impedance because I recently upgraded to a new receiver and want to set it to the correct ohms to make sure I don't damage my beautiful speakers. Hoping someone can help. Cheers

Set it to 4 Ohms.

Set it to 4 Ohms.

Excellent, thank you.

Any other specs you know about these speakers?

I have had the new receiver since the weekend and it comes default at 8 Ohms.

What effect would that have on the sound?

Could it damage anything?

Just read the receiver manual and it says I can set it at 8 or 6 Ohms.

Says to use 6 for 4 Ohms speakers.

Does this sound correct?

Edited by eastla

Excellent, thank you.

Any other specs you know about these speakers?

I have had the new receiver since the weekend and it comes default at 8 Ohms.

What effect would that have on the sound?

Could it damage anything?

Just read the receiver manual and it says I can set it at 8 or 6 Ohms.

Says to use 6 for 4 Ohms speakers.

Does this sound correct?

I don't have the specs for those speakers any longer. Most (all?) Audio Definition speakers were built to 4 Ohm specs. Save your money for a decent amp to run them. AVR don't count as 'decent'.

Could setting the amp for 8 Ohms damage anything?

Maybe, but unlikely in the short term. The amp could suffer damage in the long term though. Set it for 4 Ohms.

Save your money for an amp that can deal with 4 Ohms (or lower) impedances.

I don't have the specs for those speakers any longer. Most (all?) Audio Definition speakers were built to 4 Ohm specs. Save your money for a decent amp to run them. AVR don't count as 'decent'.

Could setting the amp for 8 Ohms damage anything?

Maybe, but unlikely in the short term. The amp could suffer damage in the long term though. Set it for 4 Ohms.

Save your money for an amp that can deal with 4 Ohms (or lower) impedances.

Thank you very much for the advice.

I have set the amp to 6Ohms and the manual said it should be that selection for 4Ohms.

Personally I can't tell a lot of difference between the two settings, I think the 8 setting had more base..

Thank you very much for the advice. I have set the amp to 6Ohms and the manual said it should be that selection for 4Ohms. Personally I can't tell a lot of difference between the two settings, I think the 8 setting had more base..

The two settings are designed to protect the amp from damage. The 4 Ohm setting is safer for all circumstances. Sound quality may be marginally better on one setting, but safety may suffer.

• 8 months later...

Wow thanks for the internal look at the Synergy units Mike.

I've never been game to remove the cover.

I bought my Audio Definition Synergy units (serial 6011) back when I was a student, from Absolute High End in Hawthorn, Vic.  There were selling their demo units, and when I heard them, I knew they were something special!

Later I added a REL Storm sub.

I've been very happy with them.

They always make an impression, on and off!

Would love to get a copy of the brochure.

It's good to see there are still some of these speakers floating around The last time I spoke with Lia she told me that most of their stock went to China I did mention that in a previous post they sold a bucket load over there so at a guess they are rare in Australia even though they were made here, most people don't know their value I picked up my Duets for $300 2 years ago and they were in perfect condition still are BTW.

According to Duratone Hifi here in Canberra which were the local seller they were $2400 new 18 years ago that was serious money for a pair of speakers.

• 4 months later...

Hi. Can anyone help me? I have a pair of Audio Definition speakers "Silhouette S/N 0016". I purchased them new many years ago and find them most enjoyable to listen to. I moved from huge corner horns with Lowther drivers to the not so large Audio Definition speakers. Once again I have to down size and would like to get the specification on the speakers so I can sell them. If any one knows of the specification's : speakers used, how many and response? Max power would be good to know?

Lovely speakers well made with quality components member Zaphod Beeblebrox was actually involved with the company that built them.

Now for the bad news they are relatively unknown in Australia even though the company sold a lot of speakers but most of their sales were to China so selling them here for what they are actually worth is quite difficult there was a guy try to sell a pair of Silhouettes on Ebay about 5 months ago he had a buy it now price on them of $700 I don't think he managed to sell them for anywhere near that figure he relisted them about 4 times and I'm still not sure if he did sell them in the end.

Now spec wise on your's I believe they were a 5 way setup rated to 200 watts 6 ohm??

The drivers please don't quote me on this I think they used Vifa Zaph should remember.

I've held onto my duets even though I don't use them much I consider them a sentimental piece of Australian audio history as well as a damn fine speaker made by people who really cared about what they were making however space is always an issue nowadays.

Thanks for the info Bataqn. I would still like to get more info if I could. You mention Zaphod Beedlebrox may have been involved with the Company that designed or built them. Do you know how to contact him?

I see you are in Canberra, spent 10 years there, out at the Tidbinbilla Tracking Station!

• 1 month later...

I have owned a pair of Audio Definition Legend Speakers since new and remember hearing a pair of Audio Definition Speakers which where approximately 1.7 meters in height with a flat top which cost around $5k back in early 1990's not sure which model these speakers where. I am after a pair of these speakers today but I do not know if they are Duets or Silhouettes, can anyone please post some pictures as I would like to purchase a pair of Duets.

Cheers

Rick

Thanks for the info Bataqn. I would still like to get more info if I could. You mention Zaphod Beedlebrox may have been involved with the Company that designed or built them. Do you know how to contact him?

I see you are in Canberra, spent 10 years there, out at the Tidbinbilla Tracking Station!

I wasn't involved with the company, though, as a representative of ME Sound, I did many hi fi shows with Glenn and Lia. As it happens, I just uncovered some brochures on Audio Definition products. I will post them to this thread in the next day or two.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Lia and all the other contributors on this thread. I just purchased a pair of Audio Definition R 716 tower speakers that were listed on Gumtree. I didn't know much about the brand so I googled it and ended up here. Lia listed her number so I rang her. She was just so helpful and enthusiastic. Her comments plus those on this thread resulted in a swift purchase. They are fantastic speakers and coupled with my B & W subwoofer they are frightening!  I was simply very lucky to see the listing within minutes of it being posted. Needless to say the seller got dozens of enquiries after mine. I also have another pair of classic Australian speakers from the same era - a pair of Interdyn BT2s. I think I prefer the Audio Definitions although both are very very good. Gee there were some good Aussie speakers made in the 80s and 90s.

Edited by earlcole
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...