Audio Definition Owners & Discussion Thread

Hello

I just bought a set of Audio Definition "Duet" floor standing speakers apparently made in S.A. around 16 years ago beautiful sound look like very good quality but I can't find any information about them on the net and they are a sealed unit, have to remove the sock (speaker grill) if I want to get a look at the drivers which I'm a bit hesitant to do so can anybody help me please if they know anything about this company and what they made.

Cheers

Seb

Audio Definition were based in Port Macquarie, NSW. Glen Portch (sp?) and Lia Galante were the principals of the company. The speakers were designed using the latest computer software and techniques (at the time) and very high quality materials and driver were used. There were, indeed, excellent speakers. I did numerous hi fi shows with Glen and Lia (including two Las Vegas CES shows), so I know the sound of their products quite well.

• Like 1

ZB, Do you know what happened to Audio Definition. Years ago I enjoyed a visit with Glenn and Lia in Port Macquarie where they played a prototype new top of line speaker of much less conventional appearance than their earlier large tower models. They were very enthusiastic about its potential and the future of the company but soon after Audio Definition seemed to disappear from view. I have always wondered why.

Cheers Mike

ZB, Do you know what happened to Audio Definition.

They closed the business. The precise reasons are not known to me. They were, at the time, making money.

Years ago I enjoyed a visit with Glenn and Lia in Port Macquarie where they played a prototype new top of line speaker of much less conventional appearance than their earlier large tower models.

That would be the 'Enterprise'. It takes a lot to elicit gasps from a Las Vegas CES audience, but the Enterprise did just that. An astonishingly good looking speaker, with peerless sonic abilities.

They were very enthusiastic about its potential and the future of the company but soon after Audio Definition seemed to disappear from view. I have always wondered why.

Cheers Mike

Like I said: I don't know. I've heard some rumours, but I won't be repeating them.

• Like 1

Audio Definition were based in Port Macquarie, NSW. Glen Portch (sp?) and Lia Galante were the principals of the company. The speakers were designed using the latest computer software and techniques (at the time) and very high quality materials and driver were used. There were, indeed, excellent speakers. I did numerous hi fi shows with Glen and Lia (including two Las Vegas CES shows), so I know the sound of their products quite well.

I am not sure but I think Lia's father was a Port Macquarie cabinet maker. Gives a speaker manufacturer a head start. Lia would have had to be the greatest woman in Australian Hi Fi EVER !! Charisma plus!! I have a vague memory of the Hi Fi show in Sydney in the early 90's

where they were showing a loudspeaker for home cinema using curved fibrleglass enclosures. They were also exporting successfully to Asia. I think surfboard manufacturing up at Port may have given them some ideas.

I am not sure but I think Lia's father was a Port Macquarie cabinet maker.

Correct. Lia was quite the cabinet maker.

Gives a speaker manufacturer a head start. Lia would have had to be the greatest woman in Australian Hi Fi EVER !! Charisma plus!! I have a vague memory of the Hi Fi show in Sydney in the early 90's

where they were showing a loudspeaker for home cinema using curved fibrleglass enclosures. They were also exporting successfully to Asia. I think surfboard manufacturing up at Port may have given them some ideas.

All correct, though I don't know about the sufboard manufacturing.

Probably not good form, but I will add that I have one of its power conditioners. It's a sturdy thing and drips quality. I managed to get the speil as well, which shows how serious they were in the design. I can scan and post if anyone would like to read it. Aparently the transformers are good for another decade, at least, so I'm stoked.

Cheers, Thistle.

Amazing what you can find when you go looking in your "files "

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39922[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39921[/ATTACH]

If anyone is interested I will try to scan pictures and inside of brochure which is quite descriptive tomorrow.

Cheers Mike

Those enclosures on the enterprise were way ahead of their time.

Regarding the surfboard thing I meant Glen had made a few boards for himself ,not commercially.

I remember talking to him about gel coat ,molds etc.

They were always happy to talk to customers.

Great business people.

Their speakers were always great value for money.

Thank you Ando for the photo's and thank you to all of you for the info, those Enterprise's look amazing.

The guys at Duratone told me the man who started Audio Definition was in the police force and when he retired with his super he started making top end speakers I don't know how accurate that story is but I just thought some of you might like to know.

Cheers

Seb

Thank you Ando for the photo's and thank you to all of you for the info, those Enterprise's look amazing.

The guys at Duratone told me the man who started Audio Definition was in the police force and when he retired with his super he started making top end speakers I don't know how accurate that story is but I just thought some of you might like to know.

Cheers

Seb

Very close to accurate. Glenn was in an extremely serious motor cycle accident (he was a motor cycle cop) and spent several months in hospital. He took the money and left the force.

I must say I am so impressed and surprised to hear all of this thread. I did not think that anyone remembered us.

From the start of the thread - the Duets - my favourite. If you would like to know all about them, contact me directly and let me know the serial number off the back.

RE: Audio Definition. Started in 1988 - I was the cabinet maker and Glenn designed the crossovers. The model line up refined over the years and we were proud to say we had many international sales and shows along with speaker of the year awards.

We did in fact make a good amount of $$, but it was the slow down of the market in 1996 that we decided to go sit on a beach instead.

The Enterprise did make it onto the market. There are 5 pairs in total - Glenn has 1, someone in SA has another and 3 in China.

I am now in Northern QLD following other endevours.

Would love to talk to anyone who would like information.

0409 001 123

Thank you once again to all who have added to this thread - especially my mate TW

• Like 2

Audio synergy here in Perth used to stock audio definition in the early nineties.........I auditioned a few of them , one in particular

sounded great , cant remember the model number .

It was a very large piano black finished floorstander , 5 sided cabinet I think , tapered at the back.

Thank you for buying my speakers -

The Duets were my favourite model.

If they are 16 years old I can safely say that they were the final design. That is Seas 6" bass drivers x 2 and a Seas Neodinium Tweeter (bullet) horn loaded.

If you press gently on the front of the sock you can feel them and there symmetric positioning.

They are bass reflex. The port is at about half way down the front.

The sock is not easy to remove and replace - but if absolutely necessary it starts at the bottom. Bass plate then sock then terminals. It is tricky lining it back up to put it back together. I have photos is you want to message me your number or email.

If you have any other questions - I am happy to talk with you.. my number is down further on this thread.

Kind regards

Lia

• Like 1

Well I am stoked thank you Lia for taking the time to respond to this thread and thank you for your no I will ring you.

I really had no idea about these speakers absolutely no information on the net (I am a net junkie) they just looked like quality and their sound is lovely I'm so happy I took a chance on them and as you can see by the threads you're not forgotten.

Thank you for making awesome speakers.

Kind regards

Sebastian

You are most welcome Sebastian.

I will try to add some photos.

Funny I only found this because a friends said have you ever googled yourself lol

Let me know if the photos come up

Kind regards

Lia

morning lia,

if you can't find those photo's of you in that bikini swimsuit competition, let me know as i still have the newspaper clipping.

regards,g.