Sign in to follow this  
Time_Lord

IS the Emotiva UMC-1 worth while getting now?

I picked up a UMC last week. It replaced a lower spec Denon reciever I was using as a pre only. So far, so good. Sound quality is a big step up on the Denon. It's pretty slow picking up the audio changing between HDMI audio sources, maybe five seconds, but I don't switch sources all that often so that won't bother me. The picture quality on pass through seems fine and I won't be using any of the internal video adjustments as I read that it just adds unwanted artifacts to the picture. EMO Q was easy enough to use but I reckon the suggested EQ was not quite right. It's easy enough to adjust for taste and I'd suggest using the EMO Q for a starting point only and probably just to set up distances and the speaker crossovers.

For the money I reckon the UMC is a no brainer when you consider the next option for a HT pre is at least triple the money. Warranty is good and as long as you don't intend to use it as a central piece for a big HT system with lots of switching between sources it will certainly do the job.

It doesn't do the CEC pass through so it's gotta be on to pass the HDMI signal from a source to the TV (not wife friendly) but an option is just to buy another bluray player for $100 and run one for the HT system and one direct to the TV for the Mrs. Other option is a dual HDMI out but they are minimum of $300 for the Panasonic and then just up from there.

Oh, the remote! This has to be thw worst remote control ever! I've broken out the old MX500 universal remote and had it learn all of the emo remote codes. Do youself a big favour, buy a half decent learning remote and put the metal brick remote back in the box where it belongs.

Yes, my one is up and running without an issue. Takes about 4 to 5 days to land in Australia.

JDH

I've had mine in for a little over a week. Same with coming from a Denon to this, I went via a couple of analog integrated amps, but as my sources were basic, the sound quality was not any better, although I did enjoy the differences.

I love the thing for the money spent, paired with the little (not light) A-100 amp, its a great combo.

I have not tried the automatic EQ as i read so many negatives on it, the EQ options are pretty good, what it could really use is a couple of Parametric EQ's, that would be great.

Built solid, sounds good, lots of options for tinkering, I use a Logitech for my room control, wouldn't want the remote on my coffee table all the time.

Recommended pickup when a flood of these come on the market in a few months when the new Emotiva processor comes on the market and a lot of people out there upgrade.

Well I just checked the tracking, and it arrived into Alexandria last night It has already cleared customs. It is now at the depot closest to where I live, but being the type of service, the item won't be delivered until the Wednesday 29.

But from nearly every single review I have read, for the money spent and for what you are getting is really fantastic.

Edited by Time_Lord

What Power amp(s) are you going to use with it, I have my UMC-1 connected upto an Elektra Reference (2 x 250W) and Elektra Theatron (7 x 185W) for surrounds and zone 2. Basically assuming the UMC-1 is reliable (so far so good) and sound decent for 2ch music, I'll use my 40% upgrade certificate to upgrade to the higher end XMC-1 when it is released later in the year, if not I'll continue using my Onkyo 5507 or buy a Rotel RSP-1572.

JDH.

I am going to use my rotel 1565. At first got confused of all the multiple trigger outs, but notice the trigger out 2 was the one I need to use.

Just wndering how the upgrade certificate works for those in Australia, because I couldn't find a upgrade certificate, but I think I got told at one stage from Emotiva being international customer, I would automatically qualify, can anyone else confirm on this for me.

I am going to use my rotel 1565. At first got confused of all the multiple trigger outs, but notice the trigger out 2 was the one I need to use.

Just wndering how the upgrade certificate works for those in Australia, because I couldn't find a upgrade certificate, but I think I got told at one stage from Emotiva being international customer, I would automatically qualify, can anyone else confirm on this for me.

For international customers I have been told by Emotiva that they retain the certificate in there records.

For international customers I have been told by Emotiva that they retain the certificate in there records.

Ok then that makes some sense. I vaguely remember being told something similar but cannot recall exactly. THink it was mentioned to me in a email some time ago your name is kept in a database qualifying you for the upgrade automatically.

Strange, they sent me the upgrade card but that said they didn't send it untill a month later. I'm guessing they don't send them untill the 30day trial is finished for obvious reasons. It may also be that they have changed things since I bought my UMC-1 and now don't send them as suggested above though when I spoke with them they said the owner had to keep their own records/cards as they wouldn't and if I lost or misplaced the card that was my own problem.

If your unsure or worried about it just send them a email or phone them and ask, they are always very easy to deal with.

My first UMC-1 they sent the card. I think a few people complained about what if they lost it, then no discount.

So Emotiva decided to just put it on file instead of the cards.

My second UMC-1 there is no card.

Edited by rocky500

Just out of interest why did you need to buy a 2nd UMC-1 ? was it because the first one broke or other reasons

JDH.

My first UMC-1 they sent the card. I think a few people complained about what if they lost it, then no discount.

So Emotiva decided to just put it on file instead of the cards.

My second UMC-1 there is no card.

Well so far, I am very impressed with this UMC-1. For the money spent, it really is a fantastic piece of equipment. And the remote control, I never seen anything like it, big and solid. And even if in the future if I plan to upgrade to the next generation, which is highly unlikely, its nice to know that I will have the 40% discount.

I use a URC MX-850 universal remote with my UMC-1 rather than the solid but clunky supplied metal remote.

JDH

I brought the first one at the full price. Thought it was great for the price. Replaced a pioneer SC-LX71.

I was planing on setting up a 2nd system some day, so when they had the clearance sale, I couldn't resist.

Just out of interest why did you need to buy a 2nd UMC-1 ? was it because the first one broke or other reasons

JDH.

I have UMC1 and it's killer value at that price. I've had no problems with mine, I believe the problems are related to HDMI which I don't use. It has EQ (either auto or manual) although I don't use it because I already have DSP in the system.

I'm also considering getting a dedicated HTPC in which case I'd be selling mine.

Hi Paul,

Just help me to understand why you don't need this if you will be running a HTPC? I currently have a HTPC with all my music and movies, and am looking to setup my receiver. Was going to go for a Marantz SR7006 due out soon, but the UMC-1 and the power amp XPA-5 looked to be a cheaper alternative? Can you help with advice?

Roh, normally you would need this as well as HTPC. Typically the PC would act as a source and video scaler, but not provide a preamp and surround processing. However, an option I'm considering as a future change is Ultimate EQ with two sound cards that provide digital crossovers and everything necessary, so that you only need to add power amps and speakers. This kind of thing is what I'd call "jumping in the deep end." I don't recommend it for most, but it's an option for the few who are ready for a steep learning curve where they will learn to design their own speakers and measure and calibrate their system.

So going down this path, what you end up with is a fully active system. Suddenly XPA5 is far more power than needed and not enough channels. 2x XPA5 gets you 10 channels which covers five 2 way active speakers (2 surrounds, centre and mains). Overkill really, instead you probably want to get something with more channels and less juice. Perhaps a stack of prebuilt amp boards.

Very relieved to hear that they keep records for international customers. I seriously thought I must have thrown mine out with the box. Am looking forward to going balanced with the xmc

Roh, normally you would need this as well as HTPC. Typically the PC would act as a source and video scaler, but not provide a preamp and surround processing. However, an option I'm considering as a future change is Ultimate EQ with two sound cards that provide digital crossovers and everything necessary, so that you only need to add power amps and speakers. This kind of thing is what I'd call "jumping in the deep end." I don't recommend it for most, but it's an option for the few who are ready for a steep learning curve where they will learn to design their own speakers and measure and calibrate their system.

So going down this path, what you end up with is a fully active system. Suddenly XPA5 is far more power than needed and not enough channels. 2x XPA5 gets you 10 channels which covers five 2 way active speakers (2 surrounds, centre and mains). Overkill really, instead you probably want to get something with more channels and less juice. Perhaps a stack of prebuilt amp boards.

Thanks Paul,

That's probably not for me. I send all audio and video out via HDMI, using a mixture of JRiver for music and currently WMC for movies, as I have found JRiver to be a bit less stable during playback(not sure why). Trying to get Plex to work on my PC but can't add libraries, but that's a separate issue.

Just seen that the Emotive don't have two HDMI out, which is limiting in this day and age. Great shame otherwise it looked a good affordable option for me. Pre/Pro + 5ch 200W Amp for $1500

you can get a basic HDMI distribution amp pretty cheap. what you get with the Emotiva model (company model) is no distributor / retailer price hike, or the high price of Aus RRP vs other RRP's.

If you can find a bargain AVR, it could match up to the Emotiva for the pricepoint.

you can get a basic HDMI distribution amp pretty cheap. what you get with the Emotiva model (company model) is no distributor / retailer price hike, or the high price of Aus RRP vs other RRP's.

If you can find a bargain AVR, it could match up to the Emotiva for the pricepoint.

Even if you could find an AVR with full pre-outs at a similar price point to the UMC-1, the sound quality is not likely to be quite as good. And UMC-1 + power amp(s) vs low - mid end AVR is going to be a very one sided competition in favour of the UMC-1, sound quality wise.

And the lack of 2 HDMI outs on the UMC-1 could be addressed pretty easily and relatively cheaply by an HDMI splitter

Having said all that the UMC-1 isn't without some flaws, the historically flaky firmware (although the latest version has been much more solid for me), and some compromises on the video processing side will be deal killers for some.